Author Topic: Fandumb  (Read 77567 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Fandumb
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12:43 pm »

5) Someone else mentioned Walking Dead but I have another: people constantly insulting and actually harassing some of the stars. One of them was Laurie Holden. They bullied her and everything else. Which was absolute bullshit.

That was a Dixons' Vixens stunt, though other groups did it too. They ran a campaign to send hate mail to Laurie Holden and Melissa McBride. Melissa McBride's website, twitter, and tumblr went silent for months afterwards. The show made a point of having Laurie Holden photographed with some of the other actors she had "wronged" in hopes the crazies would lay off. Going by the "whoreable" meme that's going around I'm guessing it didn't work.

Yeah I'm not greatly informed of it because I don't watch Walking Dead or read or play the games but I have friends who do and they talked about it. :/ all around it's horrible.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

wrightway

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 12:19:47 pm »
It really is considering how sweet the cast seems to be. There have been Cons where cast members who weren't invited on panel still get pulled up by their fellow cast mates, they have death dinners for people who are leaving, most of the cast has been spotted hanging around together off set and between seasons, and the writers even brag that the actors look out for each other instead of jostling for screen time. It's a shame such nice people have such looney fans.

Speaking of, some of the worst things in fandom will always come from the BNFs.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
BNF?

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

wrightway

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 12:27:34 pm »
Big Name Fans. These are fans or groups that everyone else seems to know no matter how new they are to the fandom. Unfortunately most are better known for their notoriety than for contributing to the fandom.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 12:29:53 pm »
Huh. Never heard that term before. But I know there are a few in the Mass Effect and Star Trek fandoms on tumblr.

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 12:30:31 pm »

5) Someone else mentioned Walking Dead but I have another: people constantly insulting and actually harassing some of the stars. One of them was Laurie Holden. They bullied her and everything else. Which was absolute bullshit.

That was a Dixons' Vixens stunt, though other groups did it too. They ran a campaign to send hate mail to Laurie Holden and Melissa McBride. Melissa McBride's website, twitter, and tumblr went silent for months afterwards. The show made a point of having Laurie Holden photographed with some of the other actors she had "wronged" in hopes the crazies would lay off. Going by the "whoreable" meme that's going around I'm guessing it didn't work.

Wait, what? Fucking seriously? Do these people really not understand the difference between a character and their actor?!

Wow... I can honestly say this is a whole new low for any rabid fanknob. It makes twitards, weeaboos and hell, even bronies look like groups of entirely highly rational and intelligent individuals.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »
3) Game of Thrones is something I'm still catching up on but a lot of my friends are a part of the fandom and thus I learn about it. Apparently people have this odd problem with Sansa Stark and their arguments are ridiculous. If someone on the outskirts thinks it's ridiculous I can't imagine what people deeper in the fandom think.

I'm somewhat deep into the fandom(I still have to read the books though) and from what I understand people don't like Sansa because they see her as being extremely naive about her surroundings. I really don't understand the Sansa hate, either so...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 12:50:04 pm »
3) Game of Thrones is something I'm still catching up on but a lot of my friends are a part of the fandom and thus I learn about it. Apparently people have this odd problem with Sansa Stark and their arguments are ridiculous. If someone on the outskirts thinks it's ridiculous I can't imagine what people deeper in the fandom think.

I'm somewhat deep into the fandom(I still have to read the books though) and from what I understand people don't like Sansa because they see her as being extremely naive about her surroundings. I really don't understand the Sansa hate, either so...

Yeah see I hardly think that's a good reason to hate someone... :/ And I don't like it when they compare her to Arya. They're two different people who have to react to their environments in totally different ways.

&

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 02:42:53 pm »
It really is considering how sweet the cast seems to be. There have been Cons where cast members who weren't invited on panel still get pulled up by their fellow cast mates, they have death dinners for people who are leaving, most of the cast has been spotted hanging around together off set and between seasons, and the writers even brag that the actors look out for each other instead of jostling for screen time. It's a shame such nice people have such looney fans.

That kind of relationship on set isn't unusual at all, really. In fact, it seems to be the norm; stories of asshole celebrities or egotistical jackwads who terrorize the production get told mostly because they're unusual. You have to remember that acting, directing, all sorts of creative stuff attracts people who WANT to be in that job, and have a passion for it. It's not like a regular grind in an office or restaurant where most of the people there are in the job just because it pays the bills, rather than having a passion for waiting tables. Most or all of the people actors, directors, and crew work with are there because they share a love of that job, which means that they're typically pretty similar people.

One of the reasons I've stuck with acting is because no matter how crappy things get, you've got a lot of people who get along. It creates a very familial atmosphere, especially when you work together for weeks or months. The cast of The Avengers, for example, went out after filming every time they were working together. Chris Evans would send a text reading "Avengers Assemble" to all the folks as his way of inviting them out.

I think I'd enjoy working on The Walking Dead. It seems like just about everyone involved would be great to work with and be around.

Wait, what? Fucking seriously? Do these people really not understand the difference between a character and their actor?!

Unfortunately, that's not uncommon. If a character is written poorly, or even if the fan just doesn't like a character, the ones who are already obsessing more over the show/film than they should will forget to separate the character from the actor and apply the character's personality traits to whoever portrays them. Because this lack of separation typically only happens among the fans who are already nuts, it means that the only ones who do it are ALWAYS the ones who will go off the deep end about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:45:15 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 03:50:53 pm »
Because comics, of course, are serious business™. Actually, let's expand that: "Entertainment is serious business™"

More on topic, the Tarja vs. Annette debate is kinda really stupid. Both sides of it would think I'm not a troo Nightwish fan™ because I actually like the different styles of both singers more or less equally.

I've noticed that this is common in music fandoms. Hell, much of the Helloween fandom still refuses to accept that Andi Derris isn't Michael Kiske or Kai Hansen... when Derris has been singing for them for 20 years, which is, you know, more than TWICE AS LONG AS KISKE'S AND HANSEN'S TENURES PUT TOGETHER.

They also like to blame Michael Weikath for everything they don't like. Kai quits because he hates Kiske? Weikath's fault. Kiske is booted out because he's taken complete control and is trying to take the band in a direction that the fans and the rest of the band hates, completely destroying the momentum they had with the Keeper of the Seven Keys albums and nearly driving the band into the ground? Weikath's fault because he has a big ego and can't accept Kiske's vision. And yet they don't blink an eye when Weikath fires Uli Kursch and Roland Grapow for wanting to write a few serious songs.

Hell, even fandoms that can accept change will sometimes have issues. Some parts of the Kamelot fandom started to hate Poetry for the Poisoned because that's the album that caused a divide between Roy Khan and the rest of the band... despite the fact that the album was alost universally loved before Khan left. These are also the same idiots who refuse to look at Tommy Karevik on his own merits and only want to bitch about how he's not as good of a singer as Khan, despite the fact that he's still a fantastic singer and a phenomenal performer. Apparently they think that Khan retiring from music doesn't mean that he's retired from music!

I at least get why there is some controversy over Nightwish switching vocalists. Tarja was fired for what some people think were shaky reasons (no, I'm not talking about the crackpot theory that Tuomas is in love with her and only fired her because he was jealous of her husband), but its been eight years and its time to move on because she's not coming back.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:58:42 pm by Wolf Lord Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 03:55:23 pm »
Is all of this intended as a serious discussion?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 04:33:00 pm »
*snip*

Wow... I can honestly say this is a whole new low for any rabid fanknob. It makes twitards, weeaboos and hell, even bronies look like groups of entirely highly rational and intelligent individuals.
This wouldn't be the first time.  Wil Wheaton got hate for playing Wesley Crusher... even though he hated the character just as much as everybody else.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 11:35:47 pm »
The show is over now, and the entire franchise is essentially dead, but Stargate Universe had a massive hatedom from other Stargate fans. And even among those who liked the show, a lot of them hated the character of Chloe Armstrong. I can somewhat understand people bashing her for some not-so-smart decisions, but the slut-shaming was not only wrong, but utterly unjustified. Yes, she did jump into bed with Scott rather quickly, but they both thought they were going to die, and she stayed with him for the duration of the show.

Game of Thrones also has people bashing Sansa and Dany for ill-advised actions, ignoring the fact that in the books, they're twelve and fifteen, respectively! You expect a fifteen-year-old girl to always make the right decision? If she did, she'd be a Mary Sue. At least when she realized she'd screwed up, she stuck around to fix her mistakes rather than running away (which she easily could have done).
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2013, 11:46:23 pm »
Big Name Fans. These are fans or groups that everyone else seems to know no matter how new they are to the fandom. Unfortunately most are better known for their notoriety than for contributing to the fandom.
Reminds me of some of the people at sci-fi cons. There are people who've made a name for themselves in the fandom, or built up a lot of influence in the running of the con, and they act like obnoxious big-shots, because it's the only thing they've got going on.

There are lots of perfectly wonderful people too, don't get me wrong.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 12:48:14 am »
Is all of this intended as a serious discussion?

I'd say its a little from Column A, and a little from Column B.

Honestly, I try to avoid giving EA money if I can.  The way they handled Ascension, and to a lesser extent Pagan, was...beyond bloody reprehensible.  That said, there are still decent games that come out under the EA logo once in a while.  However, I buy them to support the developers, the people that actually put sweat, blood, and tears into making that game, not the publisher.  Marketing might be a bitch of a task, but it is NOTHING compared to writing what's likely millions of lines of code, designing maps, animating models, composing musical scores, the list goes on.

The developers come first, in my mind.  Always always always.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.