Author Topic: Good luck in shutting down the internet.  (Read 1487 times)

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
Good luck in shutting down the internet.
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:37:13 am »
Yes, you read that right. A new bittorrent client makes it impossible to stop torrenting unless you shut down the internet itself:
http://torrentfreak.com/tribler-makes-bittorrent-impossible-to-shut-down-120208/
“We simply don’t like unreliable servers. With Tribler we have achieved zero-seconds downtime over the past six years, all because we don’t rely on shaky foundations such as DNS, web servers or search portals."
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Distind

Re: Good luck in shutting down the internet.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:32 am »
But... how?

Anyone have notes on just what they're pulling to manage this? Finding the first peer is a bit difficult without a central server.

Offline GLaDOS

• Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System
  • Bishop
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:50:59 am »
But... how?

Anyone have notes on just what they're pulling to manage this? Finding the first peer is a bit difficult without a central server.
Like many other BitTorrent clients, Tribler has a search box at the top of the application. However, the search results that appear when users type in a keyword don’t come from a central index. Instead, they come directly from other peers.
Downloading a torrent is also totally decentralized. When a user clicks on one of the search results, the meta-data is pulled in from another peer and the download starts immediately. Tribler is based on the standard BitTorrent protocol and uses regular BitTorrent trackers to communicate with other peers. But, it can also continue downloading when a central tracker goes down.
that's how
Space? SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
How are you holding up? Because I'm a POTATO.
Silence will fall.
For fuck's sake, please keep my fucks given levels balanced.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 09:58:58 am »
Sweeeeeeet!

;D
-A Pen Name

Distind

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 10:12:31 am »
Ah, so it still uses trackers to find the initial peers. So if somehow they were all shut down then new user's would be up a creek. Well, still impressive.