Author Topic: Random Explains Therianthropy/answers questions  (Read 12752 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Just wanted to say...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 11:11:59 pm »
I wonder how the T-Rex Therians deal with having arms that are actually useful? </tease>

Seriously, though, I imagine there are, but I haven't seen any yet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: Random Explains Therianthropy/answers questions
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 08:46:42 pm »
Oh hey, found an answer! Not a very good one, but I found one. Now, I haven't actually met any, but there is a page (a stub) on the therianthropy wikia page about "Paleotherians", those being therians who identify as extinct animals. Of course, I can't say anything for the validity of this or how accepted it is in the community, but the fact that there's a page for it means at the least it's been observed before.

(Edit: Die, misplaced semicolon!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:25:18 pm by Randomwolf42 »

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 07:49:11 pm »
Not to bump my own thread again, but bump.

I haven't managed to come up with anything else to say about this yet, which is odd, because I've only barely scratched the surface. I guess if anyone has some serious questions I can keep answering those, and I'm thinking maybe, since no actual flaming happened here (...yet) that maybe this should be moved up to the society subforum, if that's alright.

The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Saturn500

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 08:53:31 pm »
Are there therians who identify as fictional animals, such as Roos or Pikkards from the Ys games? Or does that fall under otherkin?

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 09:02:37 pm »
Definitely falls under otherkin. Actually I think that's the standard-ish definition of otherkin, they're fictional (usually mythological, dragons and such) creatures. Actually I think there's a subset of otherkin for that (Fictionkin? I don't know, I don't know much about -kin types), but then, there's a subset of otherkin for EVERYTHING.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 02:07:09 am »
Actually, I do have a question.

Why are dragonkin sometimes considered therians?  Dragons are, as far as I know, a mythological/fantastical creature, which would definitely put them in with otherkin...

Or is it their prevalence in pretty much every culture that lends them a bit more credence than, say, Na'avikin?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 08:29:41 am »
Hmm... I'm going to have to ask around about that one. I checked therian.wikia, but all it says is:

Quote from: Therian.wikia
Some Dragons, though generally classified as Otherkin, consider themselves Therians as they identify with this community better. In order to avoid offending anyone, it is often better to refer to them as Dragon-Kin unless otherwise specified.

The rest of the article needs serious fact checking, it mentions things like "abilities of Advanced Therians" including "object manipulation", which I've NEVER heard of before. I'm going to have to talk to SherlawkDragon about that, the wiki needs... a lot of work.

...the fuck is an "Advanced Therian"? I've been awere (terrible pun, shut up) for a few years now, and I've never heard of that before... as soon as I see Sherlawk online I'll ask him about that.

Edit: Yeah, Sherlawk has no idea what the hell that is either, it's been removed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:27:03 pm by Randomwolf42 »

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »
Bit of a mini-update, on another forum there was a thread about someone doing a study about therianthropy and ended up on the Werelist, which is sorta notorious in the therian community for not being a good source of accurate information about the community (at least not anymore, I hear it was good once). Anyways, WolfVanZandt (who, himself, has some very.. interesting ideas about therianthropy and religion, but that's another story) said this, and I think it's relevant:

It's still a concern, though. Let's say a researcher goes onto one of these uber-flaky sites (I'll not name names here) and looks around - or even goes onto it as one of several sites.......how are they to distinguish between Weres, role players, and wannabees? How corrupted will the results be? Of course, if he follows it up with some real life contacts, it might work out better. I wonder if there's a Granola Scale out there.......

Distind

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 04:16:19 pm »

Why are dragonkin sometimes considered therians?  Dragons are, as far as I know, a mythological/fantastical creature, which would definitely put them in with otherkin...
Claim Komodo Dragon and run with it? They are pretty badass.

Though I could see established mythological creatures getting a bit of a pass since they're a long lasting part of culture if not part of reality. I'll admit I have far less of a problem with Dragon kin than I do some random chunk of a fantasy/sifi movie.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 04:33:36 pm »

Claim Komodo Dragon and run with it? They are pretty badass.

Indeed they are bad-ass, but I've never really considered them "dragons" for the purposes of any of my dragon-related interests.

Not to mention I can't just go "Oh, that's bad-ass, so therefore, that's me" :P

On their own merit, however, they're pretty awesome and kinda scary.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:08 pm »
Dragons are, as far as I know, a mythological/fantastical creature

That's what they want you to think...

On another note, I wonder if there are any therian cryptozoologists, who claim that the creatures they identify with are real, we just haven't discovered them. For instance, might there be some yeti-kin?
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 07:15:45 pm »
Well, the -kin suffix indicates otherkin, which for all intents and purposes here indicates a mythological creature. I know I said all that before about one technically being a subgroup of the other, but that's the sort of technicality that most people ignore, so insofar as it matters in any real way, otherkin and therians are completely separate things. Related, but distinct. Therians don't call ourselves whatever-kin, we usually call ourselves were-whatever. Yes, this technically makes me a werewolf.

Now, to actually answer the question... I'm fairly certain anyone claiming to be a yeti therian would have a very hard time getting themselves taken seriously anywhere. I'm not going to say it's impossible (some parts of the community are weird...) but they'd have a hard time of it, mostly the 'convincing everyone you're not a troll' part. They'd have an easier time in the otherkin community, though I admit I'm rather... reluctant to believe 99% of otherkin, the notable exception being dragons. Some things set off my bullshit meter more than others. Hypocritical of me? Probably, but a lot of that depends on what individual people tell me, too.

...apparently it's Ramble Time.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 05:29:09 am »
Now, I'm not being sarcastic or smart-assed with this statement.  I really mean it:

This thread has been informative and fascinating to me.  Thanks, Randomwolf.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 09:24:42 pm »
That's what I'm here for! Also, thank you for taking the time to read what I say and not just automatically throwing me in with the tumblrkin. Now, for something relevant, I actually joined another therian social networking site, and I'm hoping there's going to be less drama this time then there was on werespace. They have a decent explanation of terminology and rules against e-packs and elitism, which were two of the biggest problems I ran into. Hopefully now if there are any questions I get asked here that I can't answer someone'll be able to help me.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 01:49:28 am »
And now to possibly destroy any credibility I may have and talk about shifting!~ Now, it's not what you're probably thinking, and if it was you'd be right in thinking me crazy, but it's not, and we'll talk a little bit more about that in a second. What is shifting? Well, in therian slang, shifting is a change (or shift) in one way or another towards one's animal side. I managed to find a fairly decent list of the different types of shift, so I can go through them and briefly explain each one and my take on it (or experiences with it, as the case may be.)

Shifting Terms:

Astral Shift - A shift experienced in the astral plane.
I've had approximately no experience with this, I don't tend to have much to do with the whole "astral plane" side of things, so the definition here will have to do, I can't elaborate.

Aura Shift - A shift where the external energy, or aura, becomes like one's theriotype.
Once again, no experience here, this is another thing I don't have anything to do with.

Cameo Shift - A shift that a therian experiences as a different type of animal other than their normal theriotype.
This is usually done deliberately, when a therian wants to experience what it's like to be a different animal (as it were), with varying degrees of success.

Dream Shift - A shift experienced while sleeping through dreams.
Sometimes called a D-shift. Oh look, something I've done! Not much to say about this one though, it's a dream where I'm a wolf. I generally do wolfy things in said wolf dream. That's about it. I tend to wake up being one of the other kinds of shifted, though. Some people have control over these, these are the same people who can control any dream they have.

Mental Shift - A shift that is experienced mentally, in which the therian's mindset becomes more like that of the theriotype.
Also called an M-shift. I get these a lot. Most of the time if I say I'm shifted, it's usually a mental shift, phantom shift, or some combination of the two. I've had people in the past ask me what it feels like to be shifted, but honestly, it's hard to put into words exactly what it feels like and how it's different from normal.

Phantom Shift - A shift that gives the sensation of non-existent body parts attached to the body.
A lot of people get hung up on this one, saying (and I'm almost quoting here) that they get weirded out when they hear someone talking about a tail that doesn't exist and how they have to sit weirdly or whatever to accommodate it, and I actually can vouch for this. I know some people will call that a delusion or hallucination, but I can't deny that I felt something that isn't physically there. I've felt phantom wolf ears, a muzzle, and tail before, but I find the muzzle's the easiest to notice for me, I do get a phantom tail sometimes, but it's a lot more subtle. I don't get it nearly as often or strongly as some other therians do. Actually one of my closest friends can feel a phantom tail and ears almost all the time. It's near-constant for him.

Physical Shift - A widely desired but scientifically unproven shift where the body transforms into that of the theriotype of the individual.
Also called a P-shift. This... doesn't happen. At all. It's pretty much listed everywhere because everyone wishes they could do it, and there are some people still looking for a way, but it's generally accepted outside of those few people that it's not possible and not going to happen. Sucks, but that's the way it is. Also of note, there ar people who troll comments sections and forums claiming to have "the secret of p-shifting" or that they're "the lone survivor of a werewolf pack" and they're invariably not sharing the secret in a public forum "because it's too dangerous" or "they're hunting me" but they'll tell you in private, in an email, of course. Once they get your email address, they'll usually either spam you, sign you up for shit, ask for money, or feed you some bullshit ritual taken from the weirder corners of the web that does nothing. I've seen them show up before and they usually get run off the site by people asking for tangible proof, videos, or pictures. None of them have the decency to even pretend to photoshop something, they usually claim they're allergic to cameras or something (or "I don't have a camera" or "I don't want to endanger myself". One wonders why they bothered posting that they're a werewolf on a public forum if they're so afraid of being "hunted".) TL;DR, P-shifting is near-universally considered to be bullshit.

Sensory Shift - A type of shift where the therian's senses become more like their animal counterpart.
I tend to lump this in with mental shifts, not sure why it has its own entry here.

Hopefully that clears some more stuff up, and I'm really hoping I didn't just kill all of my carefully accumulated credibility here :P