Author Topic: Why Is Sex Outside of Marriage A Sin?  (Read 79932 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Why Is Sex Outside of Marriage A Sin?
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:24 am »
It's never explicitly stated in the Bible, yet it's widely believed by Christians and has been even more strongly believed in the past than now.

Who said it was a sin? What social pressures lead them to say it and what social pressures lead others to propagate and follow it? Were they any countertendancies? Anybody who said that wasn't sound doctrine?

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Re: Why Is Sex Outside of Marriage A Sin?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »
As I recall right, the whole "No sex outside of marriage" thing came from the mitzvah that said that a woman that wasn't a virgin when she got married was to be stoned.

That and you have idiots that actually think that a ring will stop various sexual things like the guy running away if he knocks the girl up and stuff like that.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:41:52 pm »
Remember that whole patriarchy hangup we've had for the last few thousand years? As a man, you can never be sure that a child is yours unless you take steps to keep other men away from your property. It's a sin not because men think women are prone to it, it's a sin because men know they are.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »
"It's never explicitly stated in the Bible"

Uh, the seventh commandment? That whole "thou shalt not commit adultery" thing? That's pretty fucking explicit.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:37:29 pm »
"It's never explicitly stated in the Bible"

Uh, the seventh commandment? That whole "thou shalt not commit adultery" thing? That's pretty fucking explicit.

From Merriam-Webster's Dictionary

voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband

If neither person is married, it is not adultery.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:25:51 pm »
The way it was explained to me (which Wikipedia tells me is in line with Catholic doctrine), was that adultery was having sex with anyone who was not your spouse. That meant that if you had sex with someone and you weren't married yet, well, they still aren't your spouse, so it's technically adultery anyway. Same with masturbation, because you aren't married to yourself.

Remember that whole patriarchy hangup we've had for the last few thousand years? As a man, you can never be sure that a child is yours unless you take steps to keep other men away from your property. It's a sin not because men think women are prone to it, it's a sin because men know they are.

This.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
The precise theological formula is: If it's fun, it's a sin.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:28:45 pm »
The way it was explained to me (which Wikipedia tells me is in line with Catholic doctrine), was that adultery was having sex with anyone who was not your spouse. That meant that if you had sex with someone and you weren't married yet, well, they still aren't your spouse, so it's technically adultery anyway. Same with masturbation, because you aren't married to yourself.

Huh.  Yeah I guess if someone looked at it that way you could technically make any sex not between a married couple adultery.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:55 pm »

Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:40 am »

Huh.  Yeah I guess if someone looked at it that way you could technically make any sex not between a married couple adultery.

Welcome to Catholicism. Leave your sexual freedoms at the door and pick up a lifetime of sexual dysfunction on your way out.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:00 am »
And a bunch of old male pedophiles have the exclusive right to decide what God's Will is for all time.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 05:27:20 am »

Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking.

Actually I think they welcome drinking.  It'd certainly help with the lack of sex (except for altar boys).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
Drinking is fine to Christainity. Not Islam. Drunkness is a sin though.

Sin din sin din.

The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »

Welcome to Catholicism. Leave your sexual freedoms at the door and pick up a lifetime of sexual dysfunction on your way out.

Catholicism is not representative of all Christianity.
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 04:20:59 pm »

Catholicism is not representative of all Christianity.

On a lot of topics, you're right.  But on this one, from my experience growing up in a Protestant home and (Methodist) church, sex outside of marriage is always considered a sin.  I was going to respond to Smurfette's comment that you quoted and say that it isn't just Catholics that think this way.  I also think her explanation of why it is considered adultery is correct.  At least, that's what I had always been taught.  If your sexual partner is not your spouse, it's adultery.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.