Author Topic: Who Would Win?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Mech610

• Sajuuk-Khar
  • Apprentice
  • Chosen of Sajuuk
    • Gaia Online Profile
Who Would Win?
« on: May 29, 2013, 03:24:10 pm »
Premise

So let's play a game, a pretty common forum game, but I like it.  We're gonna do a 'who would win' debate.  I'm gonna name two fictional characters ((Or organizations)) who I think would be interesting opponents for each other.  You guys are gonna pick a side and debate among yourselves to decide who would be the winner in such a conflict.  As thread creator, I'm going to sit back and take a neutral role, sometimes the role of devil's advocate but mostly acting as referee.  After a certain amount of discussion, let's say, 5 pages, I'll decide which side I think has the better argument and declare a winner.  After that, another person can suggest a pair of opponents and we'll start this all over again but with that person as the new neutral party.

All sources for information on the characters is permitted, this means fan wiki's ((Provided they're sourced)), novels, games, films, television shows, plays and the like.  Anywhere you can pull citations for your argument if someone asks for a citation is permitted.

Rules

First of all, we need to lay some ground rules.  Topics like this can obviously get pretty heated after a while so to avoid that here are our five main rules:

1.  Be polite and civil

2.  No personal attacks or intolerant comments

3.  Stick to the topic

4.  Stick to the facts

5.  If you're feeling heated, take a step back, a few deep breaths and come back when you've calmed down

If any of these rules get broken to a significant degree or we drift too far off topic, I'm gonna declare the thread closed and abandon it and let the mods do with it what they will.

In any case, let's get this started with a classic one!

Round 1
The Dalek Empire Vs The Borg Collective

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 03:31:09 pm by Mech610 »
"Rasputin is my second favorite insane Russian mystic." ~ Youtube Commentator

GET THOSE ORPHANS AWAY FROM THE CHEMICAL FIRE!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Re: Who Would Win?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 03:39:34 pm »
Assuming the Borg nanites would be able to infect and assimilate computer systems as well as organics, I think the Borg would win.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Mech610

• Sajuuk-Khar
  • Apprentice
  • Chosen of Sajuuk
    • Gaia Online Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:42:32 pm »
Is there evidence of them doing that?  And keep in mind, there is an organic life form inside a Dalek.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »
Well the whole point of the Borg is to adapt to their enemies and evolve, while the Dalek are "perfect" and unchanging so it would seem like the Borg have the advantage.

Then again their adaptation to the weapons of their enemies was always plot based and everyone would find a way past it simply by playing with the settings on their guns...

Also, I'm pretty sure that there is some critical point where you use so much force that their shields will just give up under the onslaught, so I'm not saying that is impossible for the Dalek's to win. Depends on the writer, but as I said earlier, the Borg adaptation ability gives them an advantage.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »
Is there evidence of them doing that?  And keep in mind, there is an organic life form inside a Dalek.

"Star Trek: First Contact" and at least one episode of "Star Trek: Voyager" feature the Borg assimilating parts of Federations starships and tying them into the Borg Collective.

All in all, I think the Borg would win. If they can assimilate/hack enemy computers and assimilate organics both, then they shoot down the Daleks right off. The actual organic Dalek would probably be destroyed as physically useless and unfit for assimilation, though.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Mech610

• Sajuuk-Khar
  • Apprentice
  • Chosen of Sajuuk
    • Gaia Online Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:12:59 pm »
Anyone want to take the Dalek's side in this?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »
One dalek gets assimilated.  The sheer hatred and anger the Dalek possesses infects the Borg colony, until they eventually become another form of Dalek.  Singular.

Assimilation by being assimilated.

(I have no idea if this would actually work but still)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 04:49:20 pm »
Once the borg adapt to their death-ray, the Daleks are kind of fucked.

Offline Mech610

• Sajuuk-Khar
  • Apprentice
  • Chosen of Sajuuk
    • Gaia Online Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »
However, isn't a single Dalek on it's own incredibly powerful?  Imagine an army of them.  They also have an adaptation mechanic don't they?  It's part of being a 'perfect' being.