Author Topic: How White are you?  (Read 21913 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: How White are you?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 11:38:50 pm »
"13 Out of 20. In other words, apparently you don't even have a bubble."

WTF does that mean? Is that good or bad? Yes, I am kind of to the right on a great many issues with most of my friends being moderate left (and even a few to the left of Aaron Sorkin). So I enjoy lively debates about things that matter. I used to hunt and still like to fish. Know who I learned the most about fishing from? A retired black guy. Seriously, I'd bring him coffee when I was in my early teens just so he'd sit there and teach me. Yeah, I was in the army and got to march in a few 4th of July parades with my VFW post. Sure, starting out, I had an apartment in a lower middle class neighborhood. Yeah, sometimes I put Sam Adams or Yeungling in my fridge. It does the job well enough and I can live with the price. They can pretend to be microbrews all they want but when you see their commercials in other states, well, they can call themselves what they want but it doesn't change anything.

Sigma, I think the problem isn't that it assumes the taker is American. The problem is on the assumption that every white guy is the same and every black guy is the same and every Asain guy, every Hispanic, every...every...every. If it's trying to be a funny or cute joke, it missed the mark by a wide margin.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

deadpandoubter

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:30 pm »
...so white = pretentious redneck?

Only white people befriend people with learning disabilities. Only white people attend local advocacy clubs. Only white people attend marches that don't have to do with icky brown or homo people. Only white people hang out with smokers. Only white people can tolerate others with differences in opinion.

Also, I'm a 4/20 or a 5-8 depending on where you look. Praise babby Jebus that I'm not one of THOSE people.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 11:48:22 pm »
...so white = pretentious redneck?
My thoughts exactly. This wasn't a "How White are You?" test. It was a "How Redneck are You?" test. I scored a 4/20, and feel proud for it.

If they really wanted to test how in touch you are with your whiteness, they should have questions about European culture, language and history. But I'll bet liberals (of all races) would score higher on that test.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 11:53:47 pm »
I disagree DPD. Owning a pickup truck, liking fishing, and knowing who Jimmie Johnson is doesn't a redneck make.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Aqualung

• Crazy Person Magnet
  • Apprentice
  • I don't know and neither do you!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 12:07:09 am »
6/20. Hunh. If the alternative is drinking beer, watching NASCAR and hunting I'd rather stick with the bubble. >:/
"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun." --Billy Joel

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:33 am »
 What the hell was the point of this?  Seeing as how they ask a bunch of "yes" and "no" questions, I don't see how this quiz is supposed to determine anything.  I don't think it's deep enough.  Also, I have no fucking clue if my neighbors have college degrees or not!

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 9 and 12.

In other words, even if you're part of the new upper class, you've had a lot of exposure to the rest of America.

::)
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
What the hell was the point of this?  Seeing as how they ask a bunch of "yes" and "no" questions, I don't see how this quiz is supposed to determine anything.  I don't think it's deep enough.  Also, I have no fucking clue if my neighbors have college degrees or not!

Is a college degree supposed to be a "white" thing or a "nonwhite" thing? I can't tell.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:05 am »
Here's my test, also entitled "How White Are You?"

Are you white?
1. Yes
2. No

1. You got a 1/1, indicating that you are, or believe you are, white.
2. You got a 0/1, indicating that you are not, or do not believe you are, white.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:13 am »
Here's my test, also entitled "How White Are You?"

Are you white?
1. Yes
2. No

1. You got a 1/1, indicating that you are, or believe you are, white.
2. You got a 0/1, indicating that you are not, or do not believe you are, white.

That is a grand plan but it is a bit thrown by the Ali G/ michael jackson effect.

On the otherhand Apartheid South Africa had a colour/race test where you could come up as one of 6 groups.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:21 am »
I got a 5/20, apparently, I "need to get around more."  This thing needs more options, if nothing else...have I been to a parade or rally that wasn't a gay pride parade or such?  I've never been to a parade or rally, period.  Seriously, never.

But, I'm gonna join the chorus and call this test pure and utter bullshit.  I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human.

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."  Sig'd so FUCKING HARD!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:26 am »
This quiz is such bullshit. Apparently this asshat thinks that "white culture" depends on how much you conform to the stereotype of a WASP.

On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 5 and 8.

In other words, you can see through your bubble, but you need to get out more.

Don't tell me what to do, asshole.

(By the way, this is also the man who co-authored The Bell Curve, which says that race influences intelligence.)

I thought his racist, fraudulent arse was laughed out of serious company a long time ago. His absurd hoax was pretty outrageous.

Conservatives can never be wrong, I guess.

Addendum: I did hear about a new book he wrote, arguing that the Superior Class ought to tell the inferior negro to be as Superior as they. How do people get away with this shit?
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 03:02:38 am »
What the hell was the point of this?

To indict the inferior negro and his servant, the liberal you-know-what lover.

My favourite bit? His definition of elite:

"Did you grow up in a family in which the chief breadwinner was not in a managerial position or high-prestige occupation (defined as dentist, physician, architect, attorney, engineer, scientist, or college professor)?"

Since when is a college profession by definition high-prestige? This guy is just a dishonest bigot.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline jumpingjackflash

• Agent Swears-A-Lot Peashooter
  • Pope
  • Burn, baby, burn!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 03:58:48 am »
Just a quiz designed by a racist to see if the taker is DEM EBIL LIBRULZ/NIGGAZ/whatever wharrgarbl those bigots are spouting from their frothing mouths. In other words,

Ok seriously, is nobody even going to try and avenge my man-burrito?

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:53 am »
If you read the book description he gets one thing right, that society is changing. Because that's what societies - and particularly post-industrial societies - do. Other than that he's pretty much talking out of his arse.

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:24 am »
On a scale from 0 to 20 points, where 20 signifies full engagement with mainstream American culture and 0 signifies deep cultural isolation within the new upper class bubble, you scored between 0 and 4.

In other words, your bubble is so thick you may not even know you're in one.

Okay then. Never mind there's more to America than cheap beer, Nascar, and Oprah. I'm just not white enough.