Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111492 times)

Even Then

Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2015, 08:24:10 am »
Quote from: tumblr user bogleech
There is actually nothing whatsoever stopping developers from loading their games with explicit content. Nothing. They’re not being held at gunpoint to “censor” anything. If the gameplay and graphics are good enough they’re still going to make mountains of money no matter the content. We know that.

Y'all are gonna have to accept that when a successful developer reduces or removes something sexual or violent it actually is their own artistic decision. I’m sorry your idols care about things you don’t in their own work. Must be rough.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2015, 09:52:06 am »
Quote from: tumblr user bogleech
There is actually nothing whatsoever stopping developers from loading their games with explicit content. Nothing. They’re not being held at gunpoint to “censor” anything. If the gameplay and graphics are good enough they’re still going to make mountains of money no matter the content. We know that.

Y'all are gonna have to accept that when a successful developer reduces or removes something sexual or violent it actually is their own artistic decision. I’m sorry your idols care about things you don’t in their own work. Must be rough.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #197 on: November 22, 2015, 10:09:58 am »
Sounds like they have a decent point to me.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Even Then

« Reply #198 on: November 22, 2015, 10:26:18 am »
UP, brah, I do make posts for reasons other than you.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2015, 10:30:23 am »

It may sound reasonable, but it's not true.  Some members of the Guild Wars 2 community got upset at dyes with "ableist" names like "Delirious Purple" and "Lunatic Yellow."  The majority of the community was fine with the names, but the influence of one person as a QA tester caused the names to be changed.

Even Then

« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2015, 10:34:18 am »
Still doesn't constitute censorship or forcing at gunpoint, my dude.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #201 on: November 22, 2015, 11:52:46 am »
QA testers and marketing focus groups provide data that developers, producers or marketers may or may not act on. Depending on how big the development company is, they are usually just casual respondents to ads or pulled from a list of applicants or a pool of in-house, permanent QA testers. They are roughly equivalent to lab rats in how any info gleaned from their reactions is used. In the case of game testing QA's, they are hugely useful as a way to find bugs in the vast data sphere of all the possible ways a game can be played through by a random player. Their comments on game play mechanics, menu functionality, visual style, spoken or written game content is just another data set. Not a censorship committee report. Developers are under no obligation legally or morally to follow their suggestions in any way. Maybe a developer group will agree with a QA's opinion. Maybe they will ignore it. Either response is their right as a business enterprise. Perhaps the development team realized that a tiny change could make a few buyers happier and calmer while playing their game, and that the change in no way denigrated the style or quality of all their hard work on the game. Calm. Down. UP. You continue to equate someone having a differing opinion as being the enemy, or someone changing their mind as being a victim of a perceived enemy.

ADDENDUM: Just for fun, I'm going to pretend to be a copy editor on a developer's focus team, who just left the meeting where we discussed the QA in question's opinion, along with hundreds of other details. "Hmmm. The dye names are kinda unimaginative, anyway. I shoulda seen that and had the writer try again, come to think of it, but jeeze, these 16 hour work days leave me half-blind with eyestrain. Okay, here we go -
Delirious Palpable Purple. Lunatic Ludacris Yellow. That'll do. I'm pretty sure the team will like those better when I show them at the next meeting.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:15:26 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #202 on: November 22, 2015, 01:35:51 pm »

It may sound reasonable, but it's not true.  Some members of the Guild Wars 2 community got upset at dyes with "ableist" names like "Delirious Purple" and "Lunatic Yellow."  The majority of the community was fine with the names, but the influence of one person as a QA tester caused the names to be changed.

They renamed some dyes.  WHAT A GRAVE INJUSTICE HAS BEEN WROUGHT.

(As a GW2 player, nobody gives a fuck what the names of the dyes are, just how they look and/or how expensive they are.)
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
Fuck I should get back into GW2 but I've hit level 80 and I just...don't care.

Ironbite-at all.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2015, 05:55:27 am »
A twitter response to Donald Trump going full Nazi.

Hey @realDonaldTrump, I'm an American Muslim and I already carry a special ID badge. Where's yours?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2015, 06:43:55 am »
Trump has been misquoted. The original interviewer was asking extremely leading questions and though Trump did say he want there to be a register of all Muslims in USA he didn't say he wants them to wear badges.

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-muslims-id/

I mean, it's not like that's a huge difference but the interviewer did make a whole line of questions with the purpose of making Trump say something really stupid and hateful and suggested the database on his own and made up the claim of badges (which seems like a huge waste considering the things he will say all on his own.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #206 on: November 23, 2015, 08:54:53 am »
Fuck I should get back into GW2 but I've hit level 80 and I just...don't care.

Ironbite-at all.

I hear Heart of Thorns adds some proper post-80 gameplay, but I haven't gotten it, yet...prolly will next time I get paid, since ANet works out bugs fairly efficiently and the biggest ones should be gone, by now.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #207 on: November 23, 2015, 09:34:18 am »
Trump has been misquoted. The original interviewer was asking extremely leading questions and though Trump did say he want there to be a register of all Muslims in USA he didn't say he wants them to wear badges.

http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-muslims-id/

I mean, it's not like that's a huge difference but the interviewer did make a whole line of questions with the purpose of making Trump say something really stupid and hateful and suggested the database on his own and made up the claim of badges (which seems like a huge waste considering the things he will say all on his own.)
My bad. It's not a waste of time from the point of view of the headline-driven media, though. Trump saying something outrageous isn't anything special anymore so if you want to get more attention than your competition baiting him to go even further makes sense.

Offline Nemo

• Pope
« Reply #208 on: November 23, 2015, 01:12:43 pm »
"If it's white or Jewish then they're criminals, if it's two brown people killing each other ... meh, that's their culture and we should respect it ... cultural relativists should be ashamed of themselves." - Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2015, 05:54:22 pm »
A restaurant owner responds to assholes insulting his regular customers.

Quote from: David Kerr
“I took it pretty personally… I just gave them the full breadth of my hatred for them in narrative form.”

“Homophobes kind of stand out and I think it’s an important display of hospitality to defend our customers.

“It wasn’t isolated for these guys and I’m happy to see they’ve taken the move to delete their account altogether.”