Author Topic: Thousands of Catholic baptisms declared invalid in Arizona  (Read 1364 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Thousands of Catholic baptisms declared invalid in Arizona
« on: February 18, 2022, 03:10:11 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-thursday-edition-1.6355198/thousands-of-baptisms-declared-invalid-in-arizona-because-of-a-single-word-1.6355339

A priest in Arizona said "We baptize you" instead of "I baptize you" during baptisms in a parish in Arizona, and as a result all such baptisms have been declared invalid, which also invalidates subsequent sacraments.

Setting aside that I personally think this should really wake these people up to how fake the whole charade is, I also feel bad for them since they lost something deeply meaningful through no fault of their own.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
Re: Thousands of Catholic baptisms declared invalid in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 03:52:07 am »
Of course, Dpareja.

Of course many, many Hispanic Catholics would be willing to discard a paramount part of their identity.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Thousands of Catholic baptisms declared invalid in Arizona
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 08:37:42 am »
They're odd things baptismal certificates, I have one. My mum gave it to me on my birthday in a photo with a bunch of old, cringy photos. I've always found it weird that they try to psuedo-officially count you as one of their number before you can talk but then, most folks get their religion from dping what their parents did as opposed to making any sort of informed choice .