Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1674877 times)

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #2100 on: February 02, 2013, 02:50:25 pm »
It's pointing out the double standard of dogs getting their claws trimmed while cats get their claws removed.

The cartoon sucks, but the point is valid. Declawing is horrible and unnecessary. I propose anyone who wants to have their cat declawed should have their fingers severed at the last joint to see what it feels like, because that's exactly what declawing is.

If your cat doesn't like having their claws trimmed, get a helper, wrap the cat up in a towel and trim away. Or get those soft claw caps. My vet charges like $10 + the cost of the caps to put them on.

No, it's saying that declawing a cat is the same as trimming a dog's claws.  It's not saying declawing is bad, it's saying it's not bad.

It's a shitty cartoon for sure, both because of the unclear point and crappy art. Maybe I'm reading it differently, but I just don't see how this cartoon is saying trimming a dog's nails is as bad as declawing. Notice the vet is named "Dr. Doublestandard"? She's recommending the dog have his claws trimmed (painless unless you really screw up and cut the quick) and the cat have his claws removed (painful and possibly crippling.)

Some vets have taken a stand against declawing and refuse to perform it, but unfortunately many of them still do it because clients ask for it and they make money off it. Some clinics even package it in with neutering and vaccinations as part of a "kitten program." Some even defend the practice.

Check this article and the comments from veterinarians:

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/complementary-medicine/declaw-whom-are-we-protecting.aspx
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2101 on: February 02, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »
No, it's saying that declawing a cat is the same as trimming a dog's claws.  It's not saying declawing is bad, it's saying it's not bad.

How did you get that from the comic?

Notice how the kid reacts to declawing? The comic is pointing out that most people [citation needed] CONSIDER declawing to be no worse than trimming.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
Re: Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #2102 on: February 02, 2013, 03:34:55 pm »

Notice how the kid reacts to declawing? The comic is pointing out that most people [citation needed] CONSIDER declawing to be no worse than trimming.

That's what I took from it too. I saw the comic as against declawing.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2103 on: February 02, 2013, 03:40:22 pm »

I'd say the fact that nobody can agree on what it means cements this cartoon's place here.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2104 on: February 02, 2013, 03:51:10 pm »

I'd say the fact that nobody can agree on what it means cements this cartoon's place here.

Exactly.

No matter the message, it was delivered piss poorly.  Not to mention the comic itself is terribly made, too.

For the record, I'm not sure how I view neutering.  I do believe it to be necessary because of overpopulation issues with some animals, but at the same time, I'd hate it if some superior being took away my balls just because he didn't want me to create hellspawn with them.

So I guess I view it in "necessary evil" territory.  I'm kind of a hippie.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2105 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:12 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one.

I have a cat who likes to randomly start digging his way to China in certain chairs and on the bathroom rug, so I keep his claws trimmed. Thankfully he's so lurvy he'll let me do anything to his feet as long as he can sit in my lap.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #2106 on: February 02, 2013, 04:29:28 pm »

For the record, I'm not sure how I view neutering.  I do believe it to be necessary because of overpopulation issues with some animals, but at the same time, I'd hate it if some superior being took away my balls just because he didn't want me to create hellspawn with them.

That's my take on it to, plus having unaltered animal is a lot of work. I get this newsletter thingy in the mail every month, and one this months topics is whether or not to get your dog altered, and if so when. It's written by a breeder who goes on to talk about the challenges an intact dog may pose. Also if you're like for them to keep their "balls" you can get a vasectomy done on the males, for dogs, at least.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 05:23:41 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2107 on: February 02, 2013, 04:49:36 pm »
The nice thing about birds is that if they ever get pregnant, you can just make an omelet.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2108 on: February 02, 2013, 05:14:10 pm »
The nice thing about birds is that if they ever get pregnant, you can just make an omelet.

And for some birds, they don't even need to be pregnant for you to have an omelet.

Chicken is the only fowl that comes to mind though.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2109 on: February 02, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »

And for some birds, they don't even need to be pregnant for you to have an omelet.

Chicken is the only fowl that comes to mind though.

No a lot of birds do that. Chickens are bred to lay tons of eggs and not get killed from "giving birth" daily though.
My friend in elementary school had a female cockatiel that laid eggs every 1 or 2 months. I always wanted to ask my friend if I could borrow one to eat, just to see what it tasted like, but I figured that would be awkward.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2110 on: February 02, 2013, 05:56:19 pm »

That's my take on it to, plus having unaltered animal is a lot of work. I get this newsletter thingy in the mail every month, and one this months topics is whether or not to get your dog altered, and if so when. It's written by a breeder who goes on to talk about the challenges an intact dog may pose. Also if you're like for them to keep their "balls" you can get a vasectomy done on the males, for dogs, at least.

My parents used to show bulldogs, so I grew up around intact dogs. Oh, the fun of making an uncooperative bitch wear a diaper, separating her from the rest of the dogs, and scrubbing blood out of the carpet. Not to mention every stray dog in your neighborhood hanging around for weeks and trying to jump on her when going for walks.

I will say that intact cats are much more difficult to live with than dogs, though. At least dogs don't spray piss everywhere.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #2111 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:54 am »
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2112 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:57 pm »
That's a pretty old one, but would certainly rank on a top ten list of the worst political 'toons.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #2113 on: February 05, 2013, 05:50:04 pm »
It was in the first post of the original best/worst political cartoons thread on the old boards.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #2114 on: February 05, 2013, 08:09:32 pm »

...Wow.  They're not even trying to hide the racism now, are they?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!