Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1674259 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #5625 on: April 26, 2015, 12:37:43 pm »
1.  While I agree the cartoon is flawed in portraying the Martin and Zimmerman camps as being equally bad (I found the Zimmerman camp to be worse, if only because it seemed to attract so many wingnuts), it nevertheless calls for dialogue and understanding, which I find to be admirable.  Furthermore, we don't know exactly what happened.  If you want my perspective, I think Zimmerman was the one at fault, because of his violent track record.

2.  It's not 1965 anymore.  While we're not at the mountaintop yet, African-Americans have made incredible strides.  Just twenty years ago, the idea of a black president was almost inconceivable.  Institutionalized racism still exists, there's no doubt about that, but things have changed for the better, and I think they'll continue to do so.

3.  In my humble opinion, Affirmative Action is worthy of criticism.  But I don't think so because of misapplied quotes.  Rather, I think the degree to which race-based Affirmative Action (at least for African-Americans) is still necessary ought to be examined.  Nothing is above being questioned or criticized.
1.1: My only real issue with this is that it's less of a "lack of mutual dialogue" issue and more a "Black are desperately trying to get people to listen to them" issue

2.1: i wouldn't call the "incredible strides" more like decent ones. Cops and vigilante still kill them at an alarming rate, poverty is still widespread, voting rights for them are getting taken away faster and faster, and they still face stereotyping and discrimination.

3. Race based affirmative action is still totally necessary. Blacks still face a shitton of poverty and discrimination.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5626 on: April 26, 2015, 03:50:41 pm »
1.  While I agree the cartoon is flawed in portraying the Martin and Zimmerman camps as being equally bad (I found the Zimmerman camp to be worse, if only because it seemed to attract so many wingnuts), it nevertheless calls for dialogue and understanding, which I find to be admirable.  Furthermore, we don't know exactly what happened.  If you want my perspective, I think Zimmerman was the one at fault, because of his violent track record.

2.  It's not 1965 anymore.  While we're not at the mountaintop yet, African-Americans have made incredible strides.  Just twenty years ago, the idea of a black president was almost inconceivable.  Institutionalized racism still exists, there's no doubt about that, but things have changed for the better, and I think they'll continue to do so.

3.  In my humble opinion, Affirmative Action is worthy of criticism.  But I don't think so because of misapplied quotes.  Rather, I think the degree to which race-based Affirmative Action (at least for African-Americans) is still necessary ought to be examined.  Nothing is above being questioned or criticized.
1.1: My only real issue with this is that it's less of a "lack of mutual dialogue" issue and more a "Black are desperately trying to get people to listen to them" issue

2.1: i wouldn't call the "incredible strides" more like decent ones. Cops and vigilante still kill them at an alarming rate, poverty is still widespread, voting rights for them are getting taken away faster and faster, and they still face stereotyping and discrimination.

3. Race based affirmative action is still totally necessary. Blacks still face a shitton of poverty and discrimination.

1.  I guess that's a valid objection.  It's the same old story: the media focusing on the vocal minority and distorting the facts to try and push an agenda.

2.  Police brutality and vigilantism are not inherently racial issues.  Neither is voter suppression.  There's definitely a racial component to both issues, but to claim they're all about racism ignores the facts.  As for poverty, it should be remembered that the economy's still in bad shape.  And while stereotyping and discrimination still exist, things are improving every day.

3.  The way I see it, anything worth doing is worth questioning.  If Affirmative Action can't stand up to scrutiny, then it's not worth preserving.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5627 on: April 26, 2015, 07:39:57 pm »
3.2: Yes I agree.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5628 on: April 27, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »
I would also like to point out I wasn't saying voter rights and police were only a problem for nonwhites, I just meant they play a crucial role in the present day oppresion of African Americans and latinos.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:04:10 am by I am lizard »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5629 on: April 30, 2015, 12:04:17 am »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #5630 on: April 30, 2015, 12:06:53 am »
I shouldn't be so surprised to see right-wingers politicizing the riots, basically saying that they wouldn't have happened if a Republican was in charge. Because I'm sure the party with a long history of supporting and being supported by racists can be trusted to actually fix the causes of the riots.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5631 on: April 30, 2015, 01:09:21 am »

I know its racist and plays on stereotypes and all that, but I cant help it, I genuinely found this one funny.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5632 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:14 am »
I know its racist and plays on stereotypes and all that, but I cant help it, I genuinely found this one funny.
Agreed. Offensive, but funny is still funny.

Not that I would agree with the implications the comic makes.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5633 on: April 30, 2015, 01:38:34 am »
I shouldn't be so surprised to see right-wingers politicizing the riots, basically saying that they wouldn't have happened if a Republican was in charge. Because I'm sure the party with a long history of supporting and being supported by racists can be trusted to actually fix the causes of the riots.
I'm sure the cartoonist is upset that they're were still some black people who were alive in the city.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5634 on: April 30, 2015, 04:06:36 am »

I'm kind of in the same note....the falling pants, silly cartoony grins & drawing style is so goofy that it's hard to get angry.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5635 on: April 30, 2015, 09:15:28 am »
Baltimore's government is certainly worth criticizing, but I'd focus less on its liberalism and more on its corruption.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:18:43 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #5636 on: April 30, 2015, 01:27:02 pm »

I'm kind of in the same note....the falling pants, silly cartoony grins & drawing style is so goofy that it's hard to get angry.

Especially considering that several of the looters in the cartoon look white for some reason. Um, guys, if you're going to make a joke about the saggy pants and the belts, the time to be racially sensitive has passed.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5637 on: April 30, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »

Especially considering that several of the looters in the cartoon look white for some reason. Um, guys, if you're going to make a joke about the saggy pants and the belts, the time to be racially sensitive has passed.

That too. All of them (except maybe the dreadlock guy) just look like "generic white cartoon guys" (albeit after a nice vacation in Key West). It may as well be stores looted by a bunch of Wuncler & Rummy clones. I didn't bring this up the first time because I didn't know if others saw it that way and bringing it up would've made me look weird.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5638 on: May 01, 2015, 07:14:24 am »

I'm pretty sure that the "saggy pants" clothing style isn't limited to a single ethnic group.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5639 on: May 01, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the "saggy pants" clothing style isn't limited to a single ethnic group.
Neither is eating fried chicken.