Author Topic: What annoys you in video games?  (Read 17456 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: What annoys you in video games?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 02:38:21 am »
You ever noticed how the "retro" games exclusively go for 8 bit or more primitive? When are we going to reach the point where "retro" games are copying the graphics and style of the Nintendo 64?
Probably because you can make 2D sprite based graphics (particularly 16-bit style graphics) look rather nice with a bit of competence. 1st generation 3D, on the other hand, just looks like total ass. Nothing short of a master artist can make that shit look good.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 08:59:24 am »
You ever noticed how the "retro" games exclusively go for 8 bit or more primitive? When are we going to reach the point where "retro" games are copying the graphics and style of the Nintendo 64?
Probably because you can make 2D sprite based graphics (particularly 16-bit style graphics) look rather nice with a bit of competence. 1st generation 3D, on the other hand, just looks like total ass. Nothing short of a master artist can make that shit look good.
That, and maybe it's not nostalgic enough yet.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 10:04:50 am »
Day one patches for console games.
Forced installs for console games.
Paid DLC that has to be bought or else you can't access the majority of the online modes.
The fact that games still can't be used as a story telling medium when it comes to sex/love.
The fact that there is no Start button the PS4 control.
Germany forcing us in the rest of the EU to have censored games (looking at Beyond Two Souls and South Park Stick of Truth here).
Steam sales, meaning i have too many games in an already too big backlog.
Replacing voice actors for stunt casting purposes. (MGS5, I'm looking at you).
GTA. Just... GTA.
Whiny voiced American kids playing games that are rated too high for them.
People that think Japan makes better games.

Err, sure theres more.

Oh wait, one more, games that are released on disc/cart in one area, but download only in others.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:46 am »
Paid DLC that has to be bought or else you can't access the majority of the online modes.

Ubisoft and I think some other companies have started doing that as part of an attempt to make money from used games. You need an "online pass" to access the online modes (or in some cases advance farther than an arbitrary limit in multiplayer), which is normally included in the price of the game; you buy the game and there's a slip inside the case with the code you need to enter to unlock it.

Should you buy the game used (like I did with Far Cry 3), however, you're SOL if that paper is missing. And I'm willing to bet that the codes are one-use, so they can't be entered if the previous owner used it. Which forces you to spend $10 on a new one.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 03:08:48 pm »
I love open-world games, but they can be somewhat overwhelming if there are too many quests.  Skyrim is the worst offender that I've seen at this.  You can hardly walk through the woods without coming across a mysterious leaf with an ancient and powerful spell written on it.  And it seems like about every third person that you meet offers you gold in exchange for carrying something somewhere.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:02 pm »
Also, if you don't include an FOV slider in your graphics option, you deserve to be beaten with a stick. Just tried playing Bioshock 2 on PC and my eyes couldn't handle more than 30 minutes. now I gotta dick around in some .ini files.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 08:49:52 pm »
I love open-world games, but they can be somewhat overwhelming if there are too many quests.  Skyrim is the worst offender that I've seen at this.  You can hardly walk through the woods without coming across a mysterious leaf with an ancient and powerful spell written on it.  And it seems like about every third person that you meet offers you gold in exchange for carrying something somewhere.

One of the available mods for Skyrim is actually something to fix that. You still hear rumors and such around the realm, but stuff doesn't enter your quest journal unless you specifically seek it out based on what you overhear or if you actually willingly talk to someone and take a job from them.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »
I don't usually do mods.  Can you get them for PS3, because that sounds great?
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:16 pm »
I don't usually do mods.  Can you get them for PS3, because that sounds great?

Not unless you have a physically modified console, which is a good way to get yourself banned from PSN.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
Replacing voice actors for stunt casting purposes. (MGS5, I'm looking at you).
Now I've played Ground Zeroes, I can say Sutherland was alright, but i stand by this.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2014, 04:12:32 pm »
Of course, Ground Zeroes comes rightfully under fire for potentially setting a rather dangerous precedent: paying near-full price for what amounts to a demo.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2014, 09:23:37 pm »
Of course, Ground Zeroes comes rightfully under fire for potentially setting a rather dangerous precedent: paying near-full price for what amounts to a demo.

Who the hell paid full near full price? I got mine two days after release for $20 on PSN, and Xbox Live had it for the same price.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2014, 08:27:30 am »

Who the hell paid full near full price? I got mine two days after release for $20 on PSN, and Xbox Live had it for the same price.

Even then, that's about twice what the demo is worth in terms of reasonable play time, not playing it until you know every tiny detail of the map down to the brown stains on the backs of your enemies' pants.

I get wanting to recoup some of the costs of making a huge game like this, and selling a demo is a fair way to do it and to drum up expectation at the same time.  However, if its release price is above $5-10 US, then unless you're a hardcore fan, you're likely getting screwed out of your money.  This is especially true if a newbie to the franchise can best all your content in less than 4 hours.  What's there looks amazing, but there's so little of it that its not worth asking above $10.  But, since its Kojima, since you guys haven't gotten a new Metal Gear Solid in a long time, the incredibly poor value seems to be ignored by a lot of people.

I dunno, maybe I'm finally becoming old, but I seem to distinctly remember a time, not too long ago, when demos were mostly free, or at most cost as much as the magazine with which they were bundled.  Again, I get wanting to recoup your costs for making a huge game, but I...I just can't find myself agreeing with paying for a fucking demo.  Red Faction: Guerrilla had a demo, and it was fucking free!  I got my demo of Thief II, which introduced me to a franchise I've been in love with ever since, from an issue of PC Gaming magazine.

[Separate Rant]
Another thing that irritates the fuck outta me?  Companies that spend more time developing a cadre of features, many of which are only half-working at release, instead of fixing glaring issues in their game.  The worst offender has got to be Mojang.  Having talked to mod makers and seen/heard/read commentary from some of the Minecraft Forge team, I have come to the inescapable conclusion that Minecraft's greatest core problem is Mojang and its nearly-criminal incompetence.

They focus so much on so many near-worthless features like horses and the villages that are only made useful thru mods instead of their barely working engine that chokes under the strain of its own content.  It has almost no multithreading to speak of, I believe the latest report was that Minecraft runs in a staggering two threads.  This means that even if you had an eight-core CPU, you'd have fuck all for performance if it doesn't have exceptional per-thread performance.  Threading was fucking created to make things more efficient: you break up a single, monolithic program into smaller strands of execution that can all run asynchronously, dividing the workload up and improving performance.  This is not rocket surgery; I've bothered to look it up, and Java makes threading almost as simple as C# does, which is to say that its about as close to piss-easy as one can make threading.

Their rendering engine is, according to Reika (author of RotaryCraft), still a largely broken, half-working mess that lags under the horrific strain of a model more complex than a fucking piston.  Their sound engine is still an immense source of ungodly amounts of lag, likely also attributable to the fact they seem to think Ogg is anything other than a joke format made by the FOSS crowd.

These are problems that have existed, as far as I can find, since the dawn of fucking Minecraft.  A game that forces a GPU to chug a metaphorical can of Monster to keep up while running with a texture resolution lower than the first-gen 3D consoles, all while using the most simplistic graphical approach available: volumetric pixels, also known as voxels.  This game is so fucking simplistic, why the fuck does it lag my machine more than fucking Guild Wars 2?  Oh, right...GUILD WARS 2 WAS MADE BY A TEAM OF FUCKING COMPETENT PROGRAMMERS, THAT'S WHY.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2014, 10:53:37 am »
I really don't view it as a "demo." The main mission provides about 2 hours of content the first time you play it and you can get another few hours out of the side ops. The total play time just to beat every mission once (including the bonus mission) is about as much time as it'll take you to beat the campaign on Black Ops II. The game is also streamlined and set up for replayability, with rankings for unlocks and leaderboards to encourage replaying the missions for better times.

I'd call it a demo if it was nothing but that initial story mission. In terms of actual content, it's on par or above a lot of indie games that charge that much. Actual demos ARE available for free download on PSN and Xbox Live, by the way, and are correspondingly much shorter and have less replay factor than Ground Zeroes. I would know, since I actually tried them.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2014, 11:37:35 am »
  • Games that try to follow nostalgic graphics, notably from the NES and SNES era. It does not turn me off outright, but I have had enough of these games and almost everything faux-retro as it is becoming so overdone. Also, if you developers are all are doing "Retraux" graphics games, where is my faux-Playstation-era game of my dreams?

I'll be happy when "retro" is like, PS2.

I don't know if it really counts, but the PS3 network has some PS1 and PS2 games that you can download.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.