Author Topic: Russia Bans Memes  (Read 3356 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Russia Bans Memes
« on: April 11, 2015, 08:39:50 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/04/10/russia-just-made-a-ton-of-internet-memes-illegal/?tid=hybrid_linearcol_1_na

Russia has banned any memes that show public figures in a way that "has no relation to [their] personality".

What do you all think is the likelihood of people taking this as challenge, and trying to make as many Putin memes as possible.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Russia Bans Memes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 08:55:27 pm »
It's adorable how some people think they can actually police the Internet.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:12 pm »
YOU CAN TAKE MY BODY BUT YOU CANT TAKE MY MEMES!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:41:12 pm »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 01:41:24 am »
Russia can't handle dank memes.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:19:05 am »
>TFW Russia can't handle dank memes.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:20:54 am by I am lizard »

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:37:37 am »
Unsurprising- the Kremlin-Orthodox falange exercises ridiculous amounts of political power in what is ostensibly a first-world state and is hilariously backwards.

On a less serious note:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:41:29 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 04:05:24 pm »
How the heck are they going to enforce this? Are they keeping an eye out on le reddit armie and their dank maymays or something?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »
Granted this is only enforceable in Russia it's still completely stupid.

Ironbite-like every time some country gets the bug up it's ass to try and regulate the internet's speech.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 06:34:35 pm »
MAY A BILLION GRUMPY CATS NOM ON PUTIN...WITH EXTRA GRAVY & CHEESE CURDS!

Does V-Poo get up every morning and come up with ways to "top" yesterday's stupidity?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 02:17:42 am »
Just a while ago they were showing the trailer for Iron sky the coming race on TV. The one with dancing Putin. They actually had it on one of their channels at least once per hour for 24 hours and were talking about it a lot, trying to make it look like the video was proof of Putin's popularity and how much he is liked outside of Russia.

...Naturally they removed the bit in the end when Putin's eyes briefly turn into lizard eyes. Can't have that spoiling the mood.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:04:06 am »
Just a while ago they were showing the trailer for Iron sky the coming race on TV. The one with dancing Putin. They actually had it on one of their channels at least once per hour for 24 hours and were talking about it a lot, trying to make it look like the video was proof of Putin's popularity and how much he is liked outside of Russia.

...Naturally they removed the bit in the end when Putin's eyes briefly turn into lizard eyes. Can't have that spoiling the mood.

So they took a bit from a movie and pretended it was real? Pathetic.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:33 am »

...isn't that literally the trick the nazis pulled on The Great Dictator in the first Iron Sky movie?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 10:22:56 am »

...isn't that literally the trick the nazis pulled on The Great Dictator in the first Iron Sky movie?

YES!

Jarmo Puskala one of the Iron Sky crew members talked about the massive irony in this incident on his Facebook profile. I was going to explain it to Spuki, they didn't pretend that it was real, they just took a work of fiction that was mocking the glorious leader and after editing it pretended it was a friendly jab and a praise to him.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!