Author Topic: South Carolina Takes Down Confederate Flag  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
South Carolina Takes Down Confederate Flag
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:21:02 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/south-carolinas-confederate-flag-removed-week-150437498.html

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina's governor relegated the Confederate flag to the state's "relic room" on Thursday, more than 50 years after the rebel banner began flying at the Statehouse to protest the civil rights movement.

Compelled to act by the slaughter of nine African-Americans at a church Bible study, Gov. Nikki Haley praised lawmakers for acknowledging that the long-celebrated symbol is too painful and divisive to keep promoting.

"The Confederate flag is coming off the grounds of the South Carolina Statehouse," Haley said before signing the bill. "We will bring it down with dignity and we will make sure it is stored in its rightful place."

Police then surrounded the rebel flag with barricades and rope, a siege of sorts that will end Friday after the banner is furled for the last time at a 10 a.m. ceremony.

South Carolina: birthplace of the CSA, and where its legacy truly began to die.  How ironic.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: South Carolina Takes Down Confederate Flag
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:27:46 pm »
This strikes me as a pretty fantastic irony. Not only did Murder McGee fail to achieve literally any of his aims by blowing away that church, he handed the biggest victory in a generation to anti-racists. Now those aims are being rolled back.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 06:50:54 pm »
Bonus points:  The final vote tally was 92-20
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:54:14 pm »
With all of these liberal victories going on lately does anyone expect some sort of conservative backlash or attack like Timothy McVeigh? I would hope someone wouldn't go to those extremes. I am seeing a lot of angry conservatives lately.

http://wspa.com/2015/07/09/give-me-my-flag-back-man-yells-at-sc-confederate-memorial/
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55:38 pm »
I'm half-expecting it, unfortunately.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 06:56:13 pm »
What a day.

Ironbite-and all because one terrorist tried to use death and fear to control a community.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 07:04:11 pm »
With all of these liberal victories going on lately does anyone expect some sort of conservative backlash or attack like Timothy McVeigh? I would hope someone wouldn't go to those extremes. I am seeing a lot of angry conservatives lately.

They've been pretty toothless liberal victories, honestly. The wealthy elite are forced to accommodate new rules in some of their institutions but they haven't had to give up any of their powers.

Contrast that with the numerous conservative victories with the PATRIOT act, the Citizens United decision striking down state campaign finance laws, the Shelby County v. Holder decision in 2013 that gutted the Voting Rights act, and the soon-to-be-passed-but-I-sure-hope-not Trans-Pacific Partnership. Liberals haven't gained any of those civil liberties back.

About the closest we came to making the powerful uncomfortable was the House rejecting TARP in 2008 (notice how that was soon rammed through with very little subtlety and lots of fearmongering). Honestly, if I were a conservative, I wouldn't be that angry with this nation's actions beyond tribalistic go-team-yeah politics.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:11 am »
Still, the conservatives despite all logic contrary are more about tradition and lost cause ideology than the more logically minded ones would like.

And in that regard the liberals have been hitting them where it hurts most for these tradition fetishists.

Their flags, their traditional definition of marriage (insert one man, one woman, and ninety nine concubines joke / Newt Gingrich Marriage Joke), and other items on the tradition front. Its gotten bad enough that they have to celebrate their right to poison people with mercury in the air, a statement which really says all you need to know about the Republican Party.

The Republicans - We Want to Turn The Entire World Into a Gas Chamber.

Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:01:37 pm »
This strikes me as a pretty fantastic irony. Not only did Murder McGee fail to achieve literally any of his aims by blowing away that church, he handed the biggest victory in a generation to anti-racists. Now those aims are being rolled back.

The best case of irony ever!

You'd think these bigots would realize that being a violent doofus only makes the other side stronger! But nooooooooo.....

What's extra-hilarious is that White Supremacists literally believe that they're the majority! One must be REALLY living deep in a serious bubble to believe THAT!

I'm half-expecting it, unfortunately.

Awful as it is, it'll make Progress come faster.

They've been pretty toothless liberal victories, honestly. The wealthy elite are forced to accommodate new rules in some of their institutions but they haven't had to give up any of their powers.

Contrast that with the numerous conservative victories with the PATRIOT act, the Citizens United decision striking down state campaign finance laws, the Shelby County v. Holder decision in 2013 that gutted the Voting Rights act, and the soon-to-be-passed-but-I-sure-hope-not Trans-Pacific Partnership. Liberals haven't gained any of those civil liberties back.

About the closest we came to making the powerful uncomfortable was the House rejecting TARP in 2008 (notice how that was soon rammed through with very little subtlety and lots of fearmongering). Honestly, if I were a conservative, I wouldn't be that angry with this nation's actions beyond tribalistic go-team-yeah politics.

Sorry, Mr. Wet-Blanket. Nice try. Progress is winning. Hope rules. YOU are toothless....and out-numbered, here! 8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:04:26 pm by Barbarella »

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 01:13:34 am »
I don't know how they ever got it in their head that displaying a flag of a defunct nation in front of a state building was a good idea anyway.  Glad the flag itself is going to a museum, though.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 03:20:18 am »

Sorry, Mr. Wet-Blanket. Nice try. Progress is winning. Hope rules. YOU are toothless....and out-numbered, here! 8)

Why do you always take people not being as optimistic as you as though it was an attack?
Σא

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 09:02:08 am »

Why do you always take people not being as optimistic as you as though it was an attack?

coping mechanism in a grimdark world?
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 09:43:50 am »

That or, ya know, a complete loon.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:13:48 am »

That or, ya know, a complete loon.

we're all loony around here, so that can't exactly explain it all away.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:36 pm »
They're coming to take me away, ha ha...~

Formerly Priestling