Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 428481 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #3360 on: May 29, 2020, 10:31:50 pm »
And let's say that Twitter is forced to allow all speech onto its platform.

Trump is pissed because they fact checked him. They didn't stop him from saying whatever misleading dangerous shit he wanted to say, they just put up a notice that said "hey, here are the facts about the thing he's tweeting about" and it lead to him signing a fucking executive order that, in the name of "free speech," violates Twitter's free speech.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3361 on: May 29, 2020, 10:41:03 pm »
Quote]
I wouldn't have a problem if they just "called them out". My problem is the fact that they censor.
[/quote]

Yeah, but what they're censoring is hate speech and misinformation that they're platforms don't want to be associated with. I don't understand why you see that as a bad thing. Right wing platforms censor information from the left all of thr time.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3362 on: May 30, 2020, 01:09:01 am »
You have a freedom of speech from the government.

You don't have a freedom of speech to say whatever you want on any given platform. The government can't restrict your speech, but others, others don't have to put up with it. So yes, I am absolutely okay with it, and I don't have a problem with "MUH CONSERVATURD CENSORSHIP WAAAAAH!!"

I don't know much about that Supreme Court case, but what I do know is that Trump's attempt lately to do away with OOGA BOOGA CONSERVATIVES BEING CENSORED got bitchslapped down by the courts and the lawyers of the major tech companies.

And it is kind of rich that in response to this, conservatives want to enact their own censorship.

You can just call me the intolerant left.

Alright then, I'm just going to ignore you.

And let's say that Twitter is forced to allow all speech onto its platform.

Trump is pissed because they fact checked him. They didn't stop him from saying whatever misleading dangerous shit he wanted to say, they just put up a notice that said "hey, here are the facts about the thing he's tweeting about" and it lead to him signing a fucking executive order that, in the name of "free speech," violates Twitter's free speech.

1. Being concerned about the integrity of mail-in voting is not "misleading dangerous shit". His motives are certainly far from altruistic, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

2. Censorship? From my understanding, this is a revocation of Section 230 in response to Twitter acting as a publisher and editorializing by means of selective moderation. If that's the case, then it's merely enforcement of legislation as written. If Twitter wants to act as a publisher by curating content and deciding who gets to say and see said content, then they have to give up their safe harbor protections.

Quote]
I wouldn't have a problem if they just "called them out". My problem is the fact that they censor.

Yeah, but what they're censoring is hate speech and misinformation that they're platforms don't want to be associated with. I don't understand why you see that as a bad thing. Right wing platforms censor information from the left all of thr time.

[/quote]

Yes, I recognize that private companies have the legal right to not let themselves be associated with unsavory speech... unless they're being used as public spaces. The SCOTUS ruled that a company town may technically be private property, but because it's used as a public space, it has to allow first amendment protections. And nobody can tell me with a straight face that Twitter is not being used as a public space. I don't give a shit about who these social media companies are biased in favor of, just how much power they have over public discourse.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3363 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:12 am »
See, I don't get this controversy.

Hate speech should be restricted and fact checking fake news is something that the right wingers in USA have been screaming for more than 4 years by now. Just because it is the president doing those things should not make him immune to repercussions.

And if you're going to go with "just let him lie and spear hate speech, this is a public discussion and other more reliable sources should debate him over it instead of being silenced" then there are several things to consider:

a) If the president of USA is the one spreading misinformation, how many people are going to believe him because of his position? Especially when this misinformation he spreads has a risk to leading to deaths, it would be reckless to not fact check him immediately.

b) Hate speech is harmful and should be stopped. It appears that the POTUS is above the law so no legal repercussions are coming for him for stuff like threatening to have people killed if they protest. At the very least Twitter should treat users equally and silence open hate speech as it is a clear rules violation.

c) As for Trump needing to use Twitter because it is his de-facto platform for speaking to people and even setting govenrment policies, he has other platforms. He is a president and if he wants to release statements to be seen by people, he has a huge number of people who have been hired to enable him to do things like that and claiming that Twitter silencing him is the same as it would be for the random citizen is just plain wrong. If I get my social media accounts shut down I can't call a random TV station and get an immediate interview (or tell my people to do that for me.) If dissidents in Hong Kong get their internet blacked out they can't reach people outside Hong Kong to call attention to their plight. Trump has several platforms that he can use including some that are directly under the control of the government.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3364 on: May 30, 2020, 02:32:29 am »
2. Censorship? From my understanding, this is a revocation of Section 230 in response to Twitter acting as a publisher and editorializing by means of selective moderation. If that's the case, then it's merely enforcement of legislation as written. If Twitter wants to act as a publisher by curating content and deciding who gets to say and see said content, then they have to give up their safe harbor protections.

Free speech != nobody gets to dispute that I might be wrong. You're not being censored by having an opposing view presented alongside yours.

Trump was not prevented from saying what he wanted to say (including spreading lies about Joe Scarborough--not that I have any love for that wingnut, but nonetheless Trump has been lying about him). Further Twitter did not control who got to see the content he posted regarding the Minneapolis riots which they blocked, since any user could click through if they chose. (When it's not a politician they just delete the tweet, which makes it a pretty damn blatant double-standard in favour of people like Trump.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3365 on: May 30, 2020, 04:13:28 am »
Also, actual news reporters are getting arrested or shot at by police in USA.

HOLY HECKING CARP! *THAT* is an infringement of your first amendment and where are all those "first amendment inspectors" now?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #3366 on: May 30, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »

Yes, I recognize that private companies have the legal right to not let themselves be associated with unsavory speech... unless they're being used as public spaces. The SCOTUS ruled that a company town may technically be private property, but because it's used as a public space, it has to allow first amendment protections. And nobody can tell me with a straight face that Twitter is not being used as a public space. I don't give a shit about who these social media companies are biased in favor of, just how much power they have over public discourse.

At the end of the day twitter is a business. A business that makes its money through advertisements and celebrity endorsements. It's shown in the past that if a platform allows hate speech or controversial statements that advertisers will take their business elsewhere. As a corporation they only care about money. Conservatives decided a long time ago that corporations are people too and that money equals speech so that corps could legally donate to their campaigns. So if companies like hobby lobby can take on a religious affiliation to keep women from getting birth control. Twitter can decide how information is presented on their platform.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3367 on: May 30, 2020, 07:07:24 pm »
Vanto:  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  THEY HAVE TO ALLOW EVERYTHING ON THEIR WEBSITE!  AND ALL OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE TO FOLLOW THE USA LAWS AND RULES OR THE WORLD WILL FALL INTO CHAOS AND RUIN!

Ironbite-bro....shut up.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3368 on: May 30, 2020, 07:22:53 pm »
When I talk about not using the US for precedent for anything, what I meant by that is not assuming that the US system is necessarily the best system, an assumption I have seen in far too many aspects. (Or, worse, assuming that the author's idealized form of the US system, and not the system as it actually is implemented in practice, is the best system.)

And specifically when it comes to governance, the history of Latin America (even absent US and Canadian intervention) is all the evidence I need that the US system is pretty shit.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3369 on: May 30, 2020, 08:02:46 pm »
1. Being concerned about the integrity of mail-in voting is not "misleading dangerous shit". His motives are certainly far from altruistic, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

Ignoring you taking Trump's bait on mail-in voting hook, line and sinker, way to demonstrate that you're not even trying to understand my point.

Twitter. Did. Not. Stop. Trump. From. Saying. Anything.

Trump's Tweet was not censored because Twitter put a tag on his Tweet that said "here's the facts about mail-in voting." Because even if I grant that Trump has the right to use Twitter (which I won't, but that's beside the point), other parties, including Twitter, have the right to respond to him lying on Twitter. Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want consequence free. It means that the government cannot punish you for the opinions you hold. Trump is allowed to have opinions on mail-in voting, regardless of whether or not those opinions are supported by the facts. He is NOT, however, allowed to stop anyone from fact checking those opinions or expressing opposing opinions.
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3370 on: May 30, 2020, 10:33:09 pm »
Vanto claimed this wasn't about Twitter and Trump getting allegedly censored on there.

It actually was about Twitter.

1. The only people who whine and complain about mail in voting are people who want to restrict people from voting. Trump said that part out loud.

2. Fuck conservatives and their pathetic victimization fetish. They face completely no risk or danger, but they insist they're SOOOO persecuted and not welcome.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:36:29 pm by niam2023 »
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3371 on: May 31, 2020, 01:50:55 am »
See, I don't get this controversy.

Hate speech should be restricted and fact checking fake news is something that the right wingers in USA have been screaming for more than 4 years by now. Just because it is the president doing those things should not make him immune to repercussions.

And if you're going to go with "just let him lie and spear hate speech, this is a public discussion and other more reliable sources should debate him over it instead of being silenced" then there are several things to consider:

a) If the president of USA is the one spreading misinformation, how many people are going to believe him because of his position? Especially when this misinformation he spreads has a risk to leading to deaths, it would be reckless to not fact check him immediately.

b) Hate speech is harmful and should be stopped. It appears that the POTUS is above the law so no legal repercussions are coming for him for stuff like threatening to have people killed if they protest. At the very least Twitter should treat users equally and silence open hate speech as it is a clear rules violation.

c) As for Trump needing to use Twitter because it is his de-facto platform for speaking to people and even setting govenrment policies, he has other platforms. He is a president and if he wants to release statements to be seen by people, he has a huge number of people who have been hired to enable him to do things like that and claiming that Twitter silencing him is the same as it would be for the random citizen is just plain wrong. If I get my social media accounts shut down I can't call a random TV station and get an immediate interview (or tell my people to do that for me.) If dissidents in Hong Kong get their internet blacked out they can't reach people outside Hong Kong to call attention to their plight. Trump has several platforms that he can use including some that are directly under the control of the government.

1. I'm not against fact-checking on principle, I just think it should be done accurately and without bias. Twitter ignored multiple lies from Chinese officials about the Wuhan coronavirus having been introduced to China by the American military, and Ali Khameni's claims that it was a Zionist plot.

2. I don't know where you're from, but in my country, we recognize the right to say things that may be offensive, because we understand that putting up with unpleasant speech is preferable to giving the government power to decide what can and can't be said (with exceptions like defamation and incitement). And Twitter admitted in an email to the White House that the tweet didn't violate any rules.

3. You think this is just about Trump? Or even mostly about him? No, I'm far more concerned about people who don't have the advantages that he does.

Free speech != nobody gets to dispute that I might be wrong. You're not being censored by having an opposing view presented alongside yours.

Trump was not prevented from saying what he wanted to say (including spreading lies about Joe Scarborough--not that I have any love for that wingnut, but nonetheless Trump has been lying about him). Further Twitter did not control who got to see the content he posted regarding the Minneapolis riots which they blocked, since any user could click through if they chose. (When it's not a politician they just delete the tweet, which makes it a pretty damn blatant double-standard in favour of people like Trump.)

Like I said, I don't really care about the fact-checking itself. It's just a symptom of a bigger problem.

As for the "double standard in favor of politicians"... outright deleting tweets by politicians could very easily be construed as interfering with government processes. I don't blame Twitter for not wanting to open up that can of worms.

Also, actual news reporters are getting arrested or shot at by police in USA.

HOLY HECKING CARP! *THAT* is an infringement of your first amendment and where are all those "first amendment inspectors" now?

Right here. You think I'm not against that? Unlike some people, I'm consistent in my principles. Much as I think CNN is full of shit, Jimenez and his crew did nothing to warrant the cops' response.

At the end of the day twitter is a business. A business that makes its money through advertisements and celebrity endorsements. It's shown in the past that if a platform allows hate speech or controversial statements that advertisers will take their business elsewhere. As a corporation they only care about money. Conservatives decided a long time ago that corporations are people too and that money equals speech so that corps could legally donate to their campaigns. So if companies like hobby lobby can take on a religious affiliation to keep women from getting birth control. Twitter can decide how information is presented on their platform.

Weren't you against authoritarian libertarianism just a few days ago? I have zero sympathy for genuine haters who get censored, but when push comes to shove, I'm going to bite the bullet and defend their right to use de facto public platforms to spread their bullshit, even if it kills me inside to do so.

Not to mention how Twitter doesn't apply its rules rules consistently, and sometimes censors and cracks down on completely innocuous stuff, like their recent suspension of Imam Tawhidi for sharing an anti-terrorism cartoon.

And again, I feel like you're misunderstanding my positions. I'm not a conservative and I'm against corporate personhood.

There's a Twitter alternative called Gab that's run by groypers, and as you can probably imagine, it has a strong hard-right bias that tends to manifest as having double standards against left-wingers. If it were Gab that were the ubiquitous social media site, rather than Twitter, would you still be against the government forcing social media sites to choose between abiding by the first amendment and keeping their safe harbor protections?

Fact of the matter is, Dorsey had every opportunity to walk back on the censorship and double standards. But out of stubbornness, pride, insanity or just plain foolishness, he doubled down. Say what you will about Zuckerberg, at least he had the good sense to change course when it became clear the feds weren't going to stop breathing down his neck unless he did. To be frank, after all of Twitter's double standards and flouting regulations, I hope Trump shoves the long dick of the law so far up Dorsey's ass he spends the next twenty years coughing up jizz.

Gonna ignore the comments that were posted in the meantime, because they don't have anything substantive to say pertaining to the topic that I haven't already discussed.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3372 on: May 31, 2020, 01:54:32 am »
[People who don't have the advantages he does]

Please won't SOMEBODY think of the poor little Nazis who'd be hurt by hate speech laws?

And I am from America, and I'd trade out our free speech for the anti-hate speech kinds of laws EU countries have any day of the week.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #3373 on: May 31, 2020, 02:37:42 am »
[People who don't have the advantages he does]

Please won't SOMEBODY think of the poor little Nazis who'd be hurt by hate speech laws?

And I am from America, and I'd trade out our free speech for the anti-hate speech kinds of laws EU countries have any day of the week.

What do you think of AfD? Or Fidesz?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #3374 on: May 31, 2020, 03:30:34 am »
AfD? Those jokers are never going to win an election of any sort of note. They'll scrape for provinces and claw for mayoral wins, but they're never going to have a winning share in the actual government. And they know it.

As for Fidesz, Hungary is basically a dictatorship by now and not reflective of the EU in general. They're ruled over by a gang of fanatical Christian despots that probably think by now that electricity is a sin. And Fidesz is the forefront of that. They were recently pointed out to not exactly be a real Democracy.

You're pointing out a few outstanding examples to try and make the EU countries seem worse than they really are. If it were up to me, I'd kick out Hungary from the EU and put so many sanctions on them they'd freefall into oblivion. And AfD has no business existing.