Author Topic: The Atheist should self censor.  (Read 46363 times)

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
Re: The Atheist should self censor.
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2013, 06:32:21 pm »
Okay my last response was rushed because I had class, Rinella, but I just want to clarify my position so it's more understandable. The Nazi Holocaust was the end result of multiple factors, which included racial, religious and political scapegoating of the Jewish people. Europe for centuries had been subjected to vicious anti-Jewish pogroms which stemmed from Christian anti-Judaism--Jews were often blamed for murdering Jesus, desecrating the Host and drinking the blood of Christian children, for example. Having studied the Holocaust I believe this type of thinking certainly had an impact in Germany, especially among everyday Germans. That Germany was already suffering from a wartime defeat and economic crisis made people even more willing to believe these lies. The Nazis also fused these anti-Jewish charges with racial animosity, with their constant calls for the preservation of the Aryan race against the "inferior" Jewish people. In order to study this type of event, you have to look at its totality. For example, it would be wrongheaded, in my opinion, to blame the September 11th attacks solely on Islamic fundamentalism and not examine the political causes of the event (or vice versa). Leaving out these details makes it harder to put such events in proper context. I hope that makes more sense.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I agree that we need to consider it a factor that allowed it to occur, and yes, to be honest, even partially motivated it. I just have a bit of a gut reaction to "Hitler was an X" discussions, probably born of knowing a few too many antitheists/fundies who like to say that the whole thing was because of his religious views. My bad.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2013, 06:34:25 pm »
Okay my last response was rushed because I had class, Rinella, but I just want to clarify my position so it's more understandable. The Nazi Holocaust was the end result of multiple factors, which included racial, religious and political scapegoating of the Jewish people. Europe for centuries had been subjected to vicious anti-Jewish pogroms which stemmed from Christian anti-Judaism--Jews were often blamed for murdering Jesus, desecrating the Host and drinking the blood of Christian children, for example. Having studied the Holocaust I believe this type of thinking certainly had an impact in Germany, especially among everyday Germans. That Germany was already suffering from a wartime defeat and economic crisis made people even more willing to believe these lies. The Nazis also fused these anti-Jewish charges with racial animosity, with their constant calls for the preservation of the Aryan race against the "inferior" Jewish people. In order to study this type of event, you have to look at its totality. For example, it would be wrongheaded, in my opinion, to blame the September 11th attacks solely on Islamic fundamentalism and not examine the political causes of the event (or vice versa). Leaving out these details makes it harder to put such events in proper context. I hope that makes more sense.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I agree that we need to consider it a factor that allowed it to occur, and yes, to be honest, even partially motivated it. I just have a bit of a gut reaction to "Hitler was an X" discussions, probably born of knowing a few too many antitheists/fundies who like to say that the whole thing was because of his religious views. My bad.
It's understandable because it's a really loaded topic--and Godwin's Law exists for a reason :)

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
or maybe the fact that they were Christian isn't important at all
It's only important in that part of Nazi reasoning was based on Christian anti-Semitism, and that AE's argument was that they were atheists.

Well let's put it to the test, shall we?

Contention 1: Islam is just Atheism in a funny costume.  The inherent hatred of Christ is alive in both groups.
Contention 2: The Holocaust was in large part due to the Atheist hatred of Jews and Christians

If these are both true, the Atheist community would be steadfast in its support of Palestine and highly critical of western support of Israel.

Funny, that's exactly what we see, eh?

"Go amongst those called Christians, for there you will always be welcome"  The Quran.  Now, if they were all atheists, why would they be directed to go amongst them?  Come to that, why would Muslims say "Allah Akhbar" which means "God is great"?

And therein lies the beauty of the whole arrangement.  Atheists wish to destroy christianity by driving people from it.  What better way to alienate people from a faith by creating a new group of violent primitive crazies and then declaring them to be related?  It's a classic example of a false-flag operation.

That has to be the stupidest pile of shite I've ever read.  Can you prove this?  Of course you can't, BECAUSE THERE IS NO FUCKING EVIDENCE OF THIS WHATSOEVER.

In fact, I'd like to hear your evidence, come on, cite some sources, show some proof or have a big cup of STFU.
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2013, 06:53:01 pm »
or maybe the fact that they were Christian isn't important at all
It's only important in that part of Nazi reasoning was based on Christian anti-Semitism, and that AE's argument was that they were atheists.

Contention 1: Islam is just Atheism in a funny costume.  The inherent hatred of Christ is alive in both groups.
Contention 2: The Holocaust was in large part due to the Atheist hatred of Jews and Christians

If these are both true, the Atheist community would be steadfast in its support of Palestine and highly critical of western support of Israel.

"Go amongst those called Christians, for there you will always be welcome"  The Quran.  Now, if they were all atheists, why would they be directed to go amongst them?  Come to that, why would Muslims say "Allah Akhbar" which means "God is great"?

And therein lies the beauty of the whole arrangement.  Atheists wish to destroy christianity by driving people from it.  What better way to alienate people from a faith by creating a new group of violent primitive crazies and then declaring them to be related?  It's a classic example of a false-flag operation.

That has to be the stupidest pile of shite I've ever read.  Can you prove this?  Of course you can't, BECAUSE THERE IS NO FUCKING EVIDENCE OF THIS WHATSOEVER.

In fact, I'd like to hear your evidence, come on, cite some sources, show some proof or have a big cup of STFU.

No, no.  Think of the brilliance of this.  Atheists came up with the Muslim faith hundreds of years before Christianity was founded just to destroy Christianity.  Why, it's just downright diabolical.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
Um except Islam started 600 years after Christianity was started.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2013, 07:06:46 pm »

Yeah, you're right.  I was thinking something else.  Brain-fart.  Give me 40 lashes.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

Contention 1: Shows you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam

Contention 2: Add more evidence to the fact that you don't know what you are talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler

It seems these show you have no idea about what you are talking about...you're ignorant.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:55 pm »
This is Swiftian in its brilliance. I want in.

Did you know that the Cannanites were Atheists as well? Ba'al was actually a god of nothing. Moloch was a god of abortion. That's why it was ok for the Israelites to fuck their shit up. Also the Amelkites had more partner swapping than Bonobos which is why it is ok to eradicate them.

• The Beast
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:32 pm »
This is Swiftian in its brilliance. I want in.

Did you know that the Cannanites were Atheists as well? Ba'al was actually a god of nothing. Moloch was a god of abortion. That's why it was ok for the Israelites to fuck their shit up. Also the Amelkites had more partner swapping than Bonobos which is why it is ok to eradicate them.
Satan was an atheist, which makes his war against no one during Armageddon all the more befuddling.

Offline Scotsgit

• Is Reenacting Reality or Reality Reenacting?
  • The Beast
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2013, 09:19:16 pm »

So they created it and then didn't bring it into being until the time was right!

The plot thickens!
I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley!

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »

So they created it and then didn't bring it into being until the time was right!

The plot thickens!

I think you're onto something scotsgit. I think they probably did the same thing with Judaism. After all it's only aim is to distract people from the one true faith of Anglicanism. All hail Henry the VIII. Clearly the greatest of the prophets and the seal of the prophets.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2013, 09:56:29 pm »

The plot thickens!

I think you're onto something scotsgit. I think they probably did the same thing with Judaism. After all it's only aim is to distract people from the one true faith of Anglicanism. All hail Henry the VIII. Clearly the greatest of the prophets and the seal of the prophets.

Don't forget James VI & I.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

• The Beast
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:04 pm »

Thanks a lot, atheists.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2013, 10:25:56 pm »

Who wishes to destroy Christianity by driving people from it? Give names. Because most atheists I know don't care who you pray to, as long as you don't try to convert us. A good chunk of atheists don't hate Jesus of Nazareth any more than they hate Vishnu or Odin. A huge chunk of that good chunk don't even hate most followers of Jesus of Nazareth. The problem lies in that small minority of followers of Jesus of Nazareth who believe his words give them an excuse to be assholes.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2013, 11:00:52 pm »

The plot thickens!

Don't forget James VI & I.
It gets even better! Since everything that's not Christianity is atheism, and atheism is really satan worship, and satan worship acknowledges God and Jesus as it rebels against them...

Everyone is a Christian!