Author Topic: Student suspended for eating energy mints  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
Student suspended for eating energy mints
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:03 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mint-suspended-school-161637649.html

This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard! The second the school realized that the stupid things weren't drugs, they should have dropped the issue, but nope. He's still suspended anyway. Someone needs to go to that school and knock some heads together!

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
Re: Student suspended for eating energy mints
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
At my school, you can be suspended for bringing cough drops to school. Apparently the school considers the idea of giving teenagers the ability to care for themselves irresponsible, and requires a trip to the nurse to get most medications, even the ones you jump through loops for.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:11:46 pm »
Oh yeah this problem sometimes kids get expelled since they had to leave the med at the nurse.  Even kids with asthma which you die if you dont take it immediately

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:25:44 am »
My entire school district has one nurse that is there sometimes. Ofcourse the the high, middle and elementary school are all within walking distance of each other but that doesn't make it any better when your told, "the nurse isn't here". I think she actually works part time at two different school districts, but I'm not sure. I don't bother giving my meds to the nurse as I don't actually take them until I go to vo-tech in the later half of the school day. My school also doesn't give much of a fuck, most guys have a pocket knife in their pocket (not unreasonable as this is the country and they get used a fair bit). I've seen teachers ask if anyone had a knife they could borrow to open a box or something.

Another problem is if you ask to go to the nurse because you need to take your medication and the teacher tells you "no".

Schools have a problem with energy drinks yet I also get in trouble when I can't stay awake in class. What the hell do they expect me to do? I get enough sleep so I can't go to bed earlier to solve the problem.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:28:29 am »
Is that legal for teachers to deny students meds?

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:46 am »

Probably. If not I doubt they would actually have anything happen to them if they did.

I could swear I very vaguely remember once in elementary school that a teacher wouldn't let a kid go to the bathroom. He told he multiple times it was an emergency. She still told him no. He told her that if she didn't let him go he would just piss in the corner. She still said no. He made good on his threat and walked to the corner, unzipped his pants, and started pissing. This might have been a story a friend told me, it's been so long I don't remember.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:16:05 am »

Probably. If not I doubt they would actually have anything happen to them if they did.

I could swear I very vaguely remember once in elementary school that a teacher wouldn't let a kid go to the bathroom. He told he multiple times it was an emergency. She still told him no. He told her that if she didn't let him go he would just piss in the corner. She still said no. He made good on his threat and walked to the corner, unzipped his pants, and started pissing. This might have been a story a friend told me, it's been so long I don't remember.

My dad told me to just walk the fuck out of the class and go pee if the teacher said no and I had to go. So I did. Teacher tried giving me detention for a week... until she got  the phone call from my dad.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 05:13:52 am »
While I consider the whole suspending him because they thought is was drugs when it wasn't is stupid. I came from a school where eating during class or between classes would get you into trouble as it was against school rules. There were specific times for lunch breaks and such when eating was allowed. Eating in class wouldn't give you a suspension though, probably just detention. Hence I am somewhat ambivalent about the case.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 05:30:04 am »
Eric McMichael said he and three others were eating Revive tablets—touted as "nature's energy mints"—in the school cafeteria when they were disciplined.

It was during a lunch break...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:48:24 am »

My dad told me to just walk the fuck out of the class and go pee if the teacher said no and I had to go. So I did. Teacher tried giving me detention for a week... until she got  the phone call from my dad.

Your dad is awesome
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:29 am »
Energy...mints.

Because their is no greater threat to the youth of today than fresh minty breath!

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:58 am »
The kids have no choice about going to school. You'd think that would give us the moral imperative to treat them better and not make idiotic policies. I mean under what sort of logical reasoning do you implement a policy like this? The only thing I come up with is that the policy-makers in questions are a bunch of sociopaths who enjoy hurting kids. There really ought to be a point where stupidity in policy-making leads to imprisonment if the only plausible reason for the policy is malice. The policy-makers and the people carrying it out if there is any discretion here are power-tripping.

This is why I think we shouldn't have compulsory education. In a perfect world we would be more considerate to people who are required to participate in something, but in reality that never happens. Whenever you make people participate in something their rights while participating wind up getting disregarded. Conscripts in wars tend to get shittier positions than volunteers. Compulsory education prevents students from being able to go on strike over idiotic things like this. They wouldn't have policies like this if student strikes were possible.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:05:12 am »
With asthma meds when I was at school I had 1 inhaler in matron (the school nurse)'s office and 1 in my blazer pocket, this is what we were told to do. Chewing gum was seen as more serious than eating in class.

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 11:55:22 am »
This certainly proves the legitimacy of homeschooling.

I don't want my kids subjected to this kind of idiocy.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 11:57:19 am »

The law here (I'm fairly sure it's state law) says that: 1) all medications, even aspirin, have to be kept with the nurse, and 2) parents have to sign a release form before we can give students medications of any kind, prescription or OTC.

I can't imagine that it is legal to deny students medication once that form is signed, though.

EDIT:  There may be an exception for asthma.  I seem to remember an asthmatic classmate of mine in elementary school carrying an inhaler around, but then again that was almost 20 years ago, so I may be wrong, or the law may have changed.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."