Author Topic: Hope Solo and domestic violence  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Hope Solo and domestic violence
« on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:19 pm »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/09/19/hope-solo-and-the-domestic-violence-case-no-one-is-talking-about/?tid=trending_strip_2

The official account shows that Hope Solo extended her shutout record to 73 games as the U.S. women’s national team beat Mexico 4-0 in a friendly Thursday night in Rochester, N.Y. But as the NFL grapples with its domestic-violence crisis, Solo, who has been accused of the same crime, continues to play for her pro soccer team as well as the national team as she awaits trial in November. Solo has pleaded not guilty to two counts of misdemeanor domestic violence in an alleged assault of her half-sister and 17-year-old nephew last summer in Kirkland, Wash.

Unlike some of the biggest NFL stars, Solo, who is their counterpart in women’s soccer and someone touted as a role model, quietly goes about her business of keeping soccer balls from going into the net. NFL stars like Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Jonathan Dwyer and Adrian Peterson were banished after massive sponsor, political and fan pressure, but Nike, for instance, has remained silent on Solo.

Rice is appealing an indefinite suspension by the NFL and was cut by the Baltimore Ravens after he knocked out his then-fiancee; Hardy and Peterson are both on the exempt commissioner’s list (essentially on leave with pay) while their legal cases are pending. Dwyer was suspended by the Arizona Cardinals after his arrest Wednesday on a charge of head-butting his wife. The Carolina Panthers’ Hardy is appealing his conviction by a judge of assaulting and threatening an ex-girlfriend; the Minnesota Vikings’ Peterson was arrested last weekend on a child-abuse charge. Solo, who is also on the Seattle Reign roster, continues to play as a big year for women’s soccer is looming with qualifying this fall for the next summer’s World Cup.

This is an atrocious double standard.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Hope Solo and domestic violence
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:51:33 pm »
What sort of double standard do you prefer?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 08:22:52 pm »
Am I the only one that read the title as "Han Solo and Domestic Violence"?

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
Well, I suppose it goes to show just how lightly we treat domestic violence as a whole.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
Well, I suppose it goes to show just how lightly we treat domestic violence as a whole.
Fun fact: You're more likely to go to jail if you get caught for assaulting a stranger than your partner.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:05:56 am »

Or how little americans give a shit about soccer.