Author Topic: Boris Johnson slapped down by courts  (Read 930 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Boris Johnson slapped down by courts
« on: September 24, 2019, 08:21:10 am »
BoJo just got a bollocking! Today is a good day.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Boris Johnson slapped down by courts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:03:28 am »
Now it just remains to be seen whether the government will do anything with the time they got or if they'll just let the BREXIT go through?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Boris Johnson slapped down by courts
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:58:05 pm »
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-k-supreme-court-suspension-of-parliament-unlawful-1.5294965

Johnson also said that he might just suspend Parliament again.

Corbyn wants Johnson to call an election, but under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act, that can only happen if there's a no-confidence vote in Johnson's government (he doesn't have a working majority, remember) or if there's a two-thirds vote in favour of calling an election... and Labour abstained on the last such vote.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.