Author Topic: House votes to sue Obama  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: House votes to sue Obama
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 03:55:10 pm »
Propaganda and deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets.

Ironbite-I am a bit worried because if they get the Senate prepare for an impeachment proceeding.

And then they'll blame Obama for the Senate not getting anything done because he forced them to attempt to impeach him instead of using their time productively to improve things in the country like they're supposed to do.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
Propaganda and deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep pockets.

Ironbite-I am a bit worried because if they get the Senate prepare for an impeachment proceeding.

And then they'll blame Obama for the Senate not getting anything done because he forced them to attempt to impeach him instead of using their time productively to improve things in the country like they're supposed to do.

The Senate would need a 2/3 majority to convict and remove from office, which means 67 votes.  There's simply no way that's happening.  It's the same thing that happened with Clinton--nutcase Republican House voted to impeach, Senate with nutcase Republican majority couldn't convict.  A few of the less insane Republicans know it's a waste of time, which is why they're trying to tamp down the talk without looking like they're tamping down the talk--the Teabaggers love the idea, but the impeachment talk makes the GOP look crazy crazier, and both turns off the undecided and motivates Democrats to maybe, you know, vote in the midterms.

Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:09:02 pm »
They don't have to succeed.  They just have to waste more time and somehow claim it's Obama's fault.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 12:20:28 am »
They don't have to succeed.  They just have to waste more time and somehow claim it's Obama's fault.

"Well, if Obama didn't abuse his power . . ."

When someone in a forum brought up how Bush used more executive orders than Obama, someone else actually responded with, "but Bush didn't use them to violate the Constitution".

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 02:20:34 am »

"Well, if Obama didn't abuse his power . . ."

When someone in a forum brought up how Bush used more executive orders than Obama, someone else actually responded with, "but Bush didn't use them to violate the Constitution".

Was this is the City-Data forum? There are some dumb lunkheads in the Politics Section over there.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 05:08:41 am »
I swear people who point to the constitution have never read it, just like most fundies have barely read their Bible.  Exactly what part of it did Obama violate?  Freedom of speech and religion?  Nope.  Guns?  Nope.  Freedom to assemble?  Nope.  going against the other two branches of government?  That's why we have 3 branches; for balance.

Geez, idiots.  Open a book!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 05:10:52 am »
I swear people who point to the constitution have never read it, just like most fundies have barely read their Bible.  Exactly what part of it did Obama violate?  Freedom of speech and religion?  Nope.  Guns?  Nope.  Freedom to assemble?  Nope.  going against the other two branches of government?  That's why we have 3 branches; for balance.

Geez, idiots.  Open a book!

He violated the part where you can't be black and be President.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 11:47:55 am »
but the impeachment talk makes the GOP look crazy crazier, and both turns off the undecided and motivates Democrats to maybe, you know, vote in the midterms.

There are several legitimate issues to impeach the Obama administration on (assassination of U.S. citizens, stacking the deck against the judiciary with state secrets, gathering intelligence on members of Congress and lying to them about it in a Senate hearing, etc.) The irony here is that this would threaten the profits of the industries that control the Republican party, so no Republican presidential hopeful would ever want to successfully impeach and set a precedent against their own ambitions.

Democrats, young voters, etc. are notoriously lazy midterm voters and nothing short of an unforeseen scandal of epic proportions right before election day would motivate them to displace incumbents. Republicans have this election in the bag and they know it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 12:48:24 pm »
gathering intelligence on members of Congress and lying to them about it in a Senate hearing

Legitimate curiosity here, do you have a link on that? This is the first I've heard of it.  That made me go 'wait, what? did I miss a news story somewhere?'
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:45 pm »
gathering intelligence on members of Congress and lying to them about it in a Senate hearing

Legitimate curiosity here, do you have a link on that? This is the first I've heard of it.  That made me go 'wait, what? did I miss a news story somewhere?'

Should Obama Fire His CIA Chief for Misleading the Public About the Senate Spying Scandal? (Mother Jones)

Sen. Mark Udall Calls For CIA Director John Brennan To Resign (Huffington Post)

CIA Confesses To Hacking Senate (The Young Turks, Youtube)
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 01:57:24 pm »
... wow.  I hadn't heard about this one bit.  Thanks, 'chew!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 10:19:09 pm »

Should Obama Fire His CIA Chief for Misleading the Public About the Senate Spying Scandal? (Mother Jones)

Sen. Mark Udall Calls For CIA Director John Brennan To Resign (Huffington Post)

CIA Confesses To Hacking Senate (The Young Turks, Youtube)

Mark Udall is one of the very few people in Congress who I respect and who I'm honestly hoping wins this year's election. It was hard enough when Russ Feingold lost in 2010, the last thing we need is to lose another one of the few consistent opponents of illegal surveillance in Congress. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:21:08 pm by mythbuster43 »