Community > Society and History

Mother forced by court to sign consent of circumcision

<< < (2/2)

Sigmaleph:

--- Quote from: Askold on July 03, 2019, 08:28:30 am --- If the court for some reason (medical reason would be understandable unless USA has a law that makes religious circumcision enforceable even when parents disapprove of it) thinks that the circumcision is needed then why not simply ignore the mother and make a court order that says that the mother's approval isn't needed? Why force her (under the threat of keeping her in jail for years) to sign a paper? Also, if there is no law that requires circumcision in USA and if there is no medical requirement, then why is this court so hell bent on getting the kid's dick cut?

--- End quote ---

It's not super clear, but from what I gather from articles on the subject I think the crux of the matter is that the mother signed some sort of parenting agreement saying she would provide consent, and then changed her mind. I think that's why the court is demanding she specifically sign the consent rather than saying her consent is unnecessary (afaict, the circumcision is not medically necessary nor are there religious reasons for it).

(I Am Not A Lawyer)

RavynousHunter:

--- Quote from: Sigmaleph on July 03, 2019, 04:38:53 pm ---
--- Quote from: Askold on July 03, 2019, 08:28:30 am --- If the court for some reason (medical reason would be understandable unless USA has a law that makes religious circumcision enforceable even when parents disapprove of it) thinks that the circumcision is needed then why not simply ignore the mother and make a court order that says that the mother's approval isn't needed? Why force her (under the threat of keeping her in jail for years) to sign a paper? Also, if there is no law that requires circumcision in USA and if there is no medical requirement, then why is this court so hell bent on getting the kid's dick cut?

--- End quote ---

It's not super clear, but from what I gather from articles on the subject I think the crux of the matter is that the mother signed some sort of parenting agreement saying she would provide consent, and then changed her mind. I think that's why the court is demanding she specifically sign the consent rather than saying her consent is unnecessary (afaict, the circumcision is not medically necessary nor are there religious reasons for it).

(I Am Not A Lawyer)

--- End quote ---

Can you even do that, though?  That sounds like some real metalegal shenanigans, like you're agreeing to eventually agree to something. 

Chaos Undivided:

--- Quote from: niam2023 on July 03, 2019, 04:30:17 pm ---And if you're not for that religious right, then you're just UN-CHRISTIAN!!!

--- End quote ---

Even though Paul, the man they use to justify so much of their bullshit, was no fan of circumcision.

davedan:

--- Quote from: Sigmaleph on July 03, 2019, 04:38:53 pm ---

--- End quote ---

(I Am Not A Lawyer)

--- End quote ---

From my reading of the article that sounds about right. They signed a parenting agreement which consented to the circumcision. The father apparently just thinks its 'the normal thing to do', although I'm surprised in the circumstances that he has chosen that hill to die on. As in most things there's probably a lot more to this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version