Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2023821 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #960 on: April 13, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
When people say that retail jobs aren't "real jobs".

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #961 on: April 14, 2012, 02:54:22 am »
A job in retail can be one of the hardest jobs you'll ever have. Dealing with asshole customers day after day (and refraining from strangling them) for a low wage while doing an assload of physical labor... that job sounds pretty fucking real to me.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #962 on: April 14, 2012, 03:06:04 am »
If it's work being done in exchange for money or goods, it's a job.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #963 on: April 14, 2012, 04:11:30 am »
I have to go back to Sydney tomorrow. I get to be stressed as all fuck about uni work and don't get to see my dog anymore. Oh fucking joy.

Offline Heretek

• Neonate
« Reply #964 on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:12 am »
Finding a massive fucking turd in the centre of the aid station.

Perhaps I should backtrack a little, you might want some context for this one. I work on a paintball field. It's pretty much in the boonies and there's no security on site, so we leave nothing there and operate out of a shipping container. Out on the bush field, there's a building I where I'm located while games are running; the aid station. It's got no doors and can't be secured, so we're often cleaning out broken bottles, there's graffiti all over the walls, and it's generally fucking swarming with mosquitoes. Not usually mounds of shit.

My first clue is the sound of buzzing flies before I'm even inside, and then the smell hits me. My gorge is already rising before I'm in the building. I step inside and sure enough, right in the centre of the floor, is a smooth, flat mound of shit that's probably about the size of my hand. Setting the box I'm carrying on the bench, I consider the surprise addition to my morning. I doubt it was left by an animal; it's too big, and we've never had any problem with animals over the several years we've been running.

So I grab myself some surgical gloves from the first aid kit, a roll of toilet paper we use for cleaning goggles, and set to work cleaning up what I can only assume to be the leavings of the latest drunken arsehole to wander through my little corner of the world. For your edification, I'll let you know that it wasn't hardened and dry, as I'd first thought. Nope, that son of a bitch was still nice and gooey on the inside, with a bonus helping of little maggots desperate to make friends with my fingers.

To cut an increasingly long story short; the offending matter is safely transferred to a plastic bag, my hands are washed many, many times with hand sanitizer, and my faith in my fellow man shrivels that little bit more. I am another day closer to being a burnt out, hateful husk of a man, sustained only by my contempt for the kind of degenerate who takes a shit in someone's place of business.

I hope you've had as much fun reading my soliloquy of shit as much I had living it. And to whomever despoiled my aid station, I wish upon you a bout of the most painful, drawn out dysentery ever inflicted upon a man.

That is something that annoys me.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #965 on: April 14, 2012, 09:37:02 am »
My work day starts by punching in and retrieving my equipment for the day.

I then have to audit the food that might have gone bad.
I then have to gather up and prepare flats full of items to be worked to the floor, so shelf space that is empty can now be filled.
During this I have to respond to guest requests, pull similar batches for team members setting up new displays, and constantly contact the sales floor so they know when their product is ready, and so they can quickly work the perishable food to its location on the floor.
I then have to go through the morning non-food audit, which is a half-hour job of scanning multiple items throughout the store, identified by my PDA.

All this happens in the first three hours, and when a batch of items falls in, I have to have it worked within an hour, or the backroom speed score goes down.

After the first three hours, the fun begins!

Every hour, for the next seven hours, a series of batches will show up in the PDA. This is what was purchased in the store up until this time. I have one hour to get all these batches done, but here's the kicker. The estimate for "one person" to get this work done is usually over an hour! Meaning I have to either get help, or literally run and scan like a madman to get every required item. If I don't get this all done during the hour, the score goes down.

During this insanity, I'm required to ensure I still get guest pulls and team member pulls done, as well as backstock items from the trucks as they come in, help with food orders, and if necessary, help carry items out to a guest's car.

And this is only my listed duties! I think I've been able to take my 15 minute breaks once or twice... :D

Anyone who has worked retail in any legitimate capacity, especially at a busy store, knows that it's usually more work than a lot of higher paid "legitimate" jobs. I should know, I've worked those.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #966 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »
That my job didn't give me any hours for the week of the 22nd. WTF is this shit?? When I asked about it, they told me "Oh, we couldn't fit you into the schedule, but don't worry". I found out a couple other people didn't get any hours either for the week. But I'm still pissed off, on Tuesday, I'm going to the office, and asking them if they have the sign up sheet up for the week of the 22nd in case someone calls out, I want first dibs on filling in.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:18:29 pm by nickiknack »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #967 on: April 14, 2012, 11:29:05 pm »

Ohohoho, just 3 days into my new job at Walmart, and I can safely call massive, MASSIVE bullshit on that one.

Everyone receives training (be it in-person, or CBL [Computer-Based Learning]) in dealing with such lovely things as battery acid, containers of fucking mystery "materials" that will occasionally just show the fuck up, human blood, flesh (dead and alive), and organs.  Yes, they mentioned the cleanup of motherfucking human organs in the CBL courses.

Oh, and there are at least two devices in the backroom that can (if you're an idiot, but I digress) either crush you into a nicely-formed cube, or grind you into motherfucking mulch.  Not to mention that there's the constant threat of something on a tall shelf (like the 12-15' high shelves in the backroom) becoming unstable, falling, and fucking crushing you.

We have emergency codes for, and are trained how to handle, such things as bomb threats, shootings, and hostage situations.

Retail ain't a real job?  Motherfucker, do you have to deal with any of that shit in your cozy, little office?  No?  THEN, SHUT THE FUCK UP.  I gotta face death and dismemberment, and I'm just a dry grocery sales associate.  I'm a harder motherfucker than you could ever dream of being.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #968 on: April 15, 2012, 12:35:47 am »

Ohohoho, just 3 days into my new job at Walmart, and I can safely call massive, MASSIVE bullshit on that one.

Everyone receives training (be it in-person, or CBL [Computer-Based Learning]) in dealing with such lovely things as battery acid, containers of fucking mystery "materials" that will occasionally just show the fuck up, human blood, flesh (dead and alive), and organs.  Yes, they mentioned the cleanup of motherfucking human organs in the CBL courses.

Oh, and there are at least two devices in the backroom that can (if you're an idiot, but I digress) either crush you into a nicely-formed cube, or grind you into motherfucking mulch.  Not to mention that there's the constant threat of something on a tall shelf (like the 12-15' high shelves in the backroom) becoming unstable, falling, and fucking crushing you.

We have emergency codes for, and are trained how to handle, such things as bomb threats, shootings, and hostage situations.

Retail ain't a real job?  Motherfucker, do you have to deal with any of that shit in your cozy, little office?  No?  THEN, SHUT THE FUCK UP.  I gotta face death and dismemberment, and I'm just a dry grocery sales associate.  I'm a harder motherfucker than you could ever dream of being.

So many memories in this post, I used to work at Wal-mart about 3 years ago... and I was a dry grocery associate also.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:37:52 am by nickiknack »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #969 on: April 15, 2012, 12:42:12 am »
Course, if someone were stupid enough to come into my store with a gun, or any weapon, and try to rob the place...uhh, dumbass, this is Arkansas.  This is the South.  I work in a city more well-known for having rednecks and hunters than running water and functioning plumbing.  At least half a dozen of our associates would go to the sporting goods section, grab rifles, and gun your ass down before you even had the chance to threaten anyone.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #970 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:22 am »
Finding a massive fucking turd in the centre of the aid station.

Perhaps I should backtrack a little, you might want some context for this one. I work on a paintball field. It's pretty much in the boonies and there's no security on site, so we leave nothing there and operate out of a shipping container. Out on the bush field, there's a building I where I'm located while games are running; the aid station. It's got no doors and can't be secured, so we're often cleaning out broken bottles, there's graffiti all over the walls, and it's generally fucking swarming with mosquitoes. Not usually mounds of shit.

My first clue is the sound of buzzing flies before I'm even inside, and then the smell hits me. My gorge is already rising before I'm in the building. I step inside and sure enough, right in the centre of the floor, is a smooth, flat mound of shit that's probably about the size of my hand. Setting the box I'm carrying on the bench, I consider the surprise addition to my morning. I doubt it was left by an animal; it's too big, and we've never had any problem with animals over the several years we've been running.

So I grab myself some surgical gloves from the first aid kit, a roll of toilet paper we use for cleaning goggles, and set to work cleaning up what I can only assume to be the leavings of the latest drunken arsehole to wander through my little corner of the world. For your edification, I'll let you know that it wasn't hardened and dry, as I'd first thought. Nope, that son of a bitch was still nice and gooey on the inside, with a bonus helping of little maggots desperate to make friends with my fingers.

To cut an increasingly long story short; the offending matter is safely transferred to a plastic bag, my hands are washed many, many times with hand sanitizer, and my faith in my fellow man shrivels that little bit more. I am another day closer to being a burnt out, hateful husk of a man, sustained only by my contempt for the kind of degenerate who takes a shit in someone's place of business.

I hope you've had as much fun reading my soliloquy of shit as much I had living it. And to whomever despoiled my aid station, I wish upon you a bout of the most painful, drawn out dysentery ever inflicted upon a man.

That is something that annoys me.

Wow... I would have punched in my card the last time at the maggots.  I'm scared shitless of those things.  You're a braver man/woman than I.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #971 on: April 15, 2012, 01:53:51 am »
I'd have doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire.

What?!  Gasoline's got disinfectant properties, and fire's well-known for killing bacteria!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #972 on: April 15, 2012, 02:56:21 am »
I'd have doused it in gasoline and lit it on fire.

What?!  Gasoline's got disinfectant properties, and fire's well-known for killing bacteria!

Paintball: Now with the smells of burning turd for the real combat atmosphere.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #973 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:45 am »
Its not a real battlefield unless it smells of sweat, fear, and burning shit.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #974 on: April 15, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »
My nose. It's dripping like a whore.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades