Author Topic: Is It Right For Someone Interested In Politics to Lie About Their Religion?  (Read 4400 times)

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
Say someone has determined that the place they can do the most good is in politics, but realize that if they are atheist or agnostic and are honest about their beliefs they will not make it very far. Is it OK for this person to lie and attend Church or some other religious institution in order to fool the public so they can get elected and then do public good?

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
I'm sure there are some that already do.

Offline TenfoldMaquette

• Pope
^This. Something like 25-30% of humanity identifies itself as "non-religious", and yet how many open Atheists/Agnostics/etc do you see in politics? A small handful, but certainly not one-in-four or one-in-three as should statistically be present.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.

More than a few probably have, but Reasonator isn't wanting to know if they do. He wants to know if we consider it morally ok to do so.

In any event, I propose that yes, it is. As unfortunate as it is, Atheists don't have a good reputation and it is severe enough that it can harm them on their ability to do good. If someone needs to clear their conscience of the event, they can simply start saying they've been questioning their faith and then say they gave it up (provided they aren't in an atheist friendly religion like Buddhism to begin with).

Is it lying? Yes, but unfortunately it can be necessary in today's world. If it is resulting in more good being done than if they were completely honest, it is better to do so and work on it later. Of course, like I said, this is if the politician in question isn't a religious atheist.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
I think this is a disagreement between ethics and morals. Is it morally right to do so? I'd say no. Keep in mind that you would be actively deceiving your electorate, even if it would be for a good cause. That would be an ethical justification, and while valid under an ethical viewpoint, it doesn't necessarily hold under a moral viewpoint. Is it ethically right to do so? Maybe, I'm not sure.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Ideally, religion should be a complete non-factor in politics.

Unfortunately, most of the US population doesn't agree with me on this.

Eh... my viewpoint is that it's wrong, but that it might be a necessary wrong.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Those of you who read The Prince know that Machiavelli expressly promoted deceit in most political matters, including religion.

Now of course, there is some debate as to how serious Macchiavelli was when he wrote the book, so...take it with a grain of salt.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Good question. I think it's exactly as OK to lie about your religious affiliation as it is to lie about your sexual preferences. Add to that the different classes of lying and there's some serious wiggle room.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast

Actually I am going to have to disagree...

You see in a democracy the voters must have the right to choose who they vote (duhh) and therefore they must also have the right to decide WHY they vote for that person. And if a voter decides that he will only vote for people who share his religion then this should be a valid choice as well.

I don't care how silly or superficial the reasons for the voter are. Voter A only votes tall bald guys who listen to Nickelbag, but it still is an equally valid vote as voter B who chose the smartest, most experienced candidate with the exact same values and agendas as voter B.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard

Actually I am going to have to disagree...

You see in a democracy the voters must have the right to choose who they vote (duhh) and therefore they must also have the right to decide WHY they vote for that person. And if a voter decides that he will only vote for people who share his religion then this should be a valid choice as well.

I don't care how silly or superficial the reasons for the voter are. Voter A only votes tall bald guys who listen to Nickelbag, but it still is an equally valid vote as voter B who chose the smartest, most experienced candidate with the exact same values and agendas as voter B.

I... never said anything to the contrary.

I spoke of an idealism.  That's all.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Is It Right For Someone Interested In Politics to Lie About Their Religion?
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:13:18 am »
There are a few states in the US where it is illegal for an atheist to hold public office.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:09 am »
There are a few states in the US where it is illegal for an atheist to hold public office.

I smell a class action lawsuit. Totally against the constitution of the Federal Government.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm »

I smell a class action lawsuit. Totally against the constitution of the Federal Government.

It is. However, these are states and towns that no atheist can ever hold office anyways. All the other side needs to do is get the biggest douche they can find who goes to church Sundays, put him (let's not kid ourselves, it'll be a him) in front of a microphone, show him how to point to the other guy and scream ATHEIST from July til November.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:17:08 pm »

It is. However, these are states and towns that no atheist can ever hold office anyways. All the other side needs to do is get the biggest douche they can find who goes to church Sundays, put him (let's not kid ourselves, it'll be a him) in front of a microphone, show him how to point to the other guy and scream ATHEIST from July til November.

I don't mind de facto stupidity like that, that's just politics. But the moment they make it De Jure, they ask for the Courts to weigh in.

Hrm, I'm thinking back to my days growing up religious and all. I wonder if the reason that atheists are regarded so wrongly by religious individuals is because they cannot comprehend disbelief? I mean, when I was a child that was impossible to me. I mean, I grew past that as I grew older. Hell I think I had my first doubts when I was eight, but apparently autistics tend to doubt religion more readily than most. But this inability to comprehend disbelief may lead them to the conclusions that they 'worship' things and they are really lying.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 04:53:26 pm »
Part of it is probably atheists being viewed as untrustworthy because some people think lack of belief in hell = lack of morals.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades