Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 569382 times)

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2012, 06:17:18 pm »
B:  This ISN'T the first spoiler we've posted.  Seth DOES warn that hey, spoilers for the episode, don't watch the linked vids if you don't WANT the spoiler.

*sighs and facehooves*
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:08 pm »
B:  This ISN'T the first spoiler we've posted.  Seth DOES warn that hey, spoilers for the episode, don't watch the linked vids if you don't WANT the spoiler.

*sighs and facehooves*

I avoid stuff that's clearly marked, but this was in the goddamn DRAWFRIEND for today.  It wasn't linked, either.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »
Okay, that's unavoidable, and yes, potentially sucky.  However, Seth tends to put warnings on the Drawfriends for right AFTER an episode's aired.  Beforehoof? can't do anything about it.  I asked him about this a couple weeks ago, and he said there's so much art out there that he picks most of it purely at random (save for anything Trixie... the boy's hopeless, sometimes)
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

• The Beast
« Reply #153 on: January 21, 2012, 10:33:56 am »
...and the fandom rejoiced shat themselves.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2012, 10:40:08 am »
Oh my little pony god, that was the best episode in a while, let me tell you~

Pinkie Pie was in rare form, which is always awesome. And even better? EVEN BETTER?

Holy crap, not only was Derpy referred to by name, but she had lines. Lines, you guys. LINES. Lines and character. Holy crap.

Oh, and I guess Applejack was in this episode too~  =3

(No, but seriously, I almost never stopped laughing the entire episode. I love this episode. I would buy a ring and propose to this episode, but it would probably turn me down because I bought a Star Sapphire ring at the comic shop instead of a real ring. The Star Sapphires are the corps of love, come on. It's totally symbolic. =< And this episode is going to be on the DVD? Holy crap, is February over yet??)

In conclusion, I love everything~  This episode wins first place. Ding!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:41:41 am by DarkfireTaimatsu »
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2012, 11:09:32 am »
THEY GAVE DERPY LINES......

• The Beast
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2012, 12:01:51 pm »
While the fandom may be broken on the voice, I think it was cute.  I also got the chance to warm up to it even more/again thanks to YT. <3

Pinkie sounded half-demonic by the way when AJ "broke" her promise.  Now there's a topic for MLF: FiH> >_>
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:35:32 pm by B-Man »

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »
Ah, memories... I grew up with this.  Good times.

Ditto...I still have my ponies from when I was a wee little girl. :D

Had to get rid of Bride Pony, Baby Whirly Twirl, and teh Remco unicorn knockoff, but I will never ever get rid of Skydancer.  Recently restyled her mane and tail to look like Fluttershy's. :3
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

• The Beast
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2012, 03:45:02 pm »
So I'm working on a shipping fanfic that involves Pinkie Pie and Rarity, and takes place right after the end of today's episode.  The only thing is, a part of me wants to turn this into clopfiction, while another part of me wants to keep it clean enough to be able to be posted onto EqD.  Is it possible to take a third option, wherein I have two different versions, or even an "alternate ending" that turns into clopfiction or something?  I...uh...I'd like some advice.

Oh, and I was hoping maybe I could find someone to help edit my story/stories.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2012, 03:55:56 pm »
So I'm working on a shipping fanfic that involves Pinkie Pie and Rarity, and takes place right after the end of today's episode.  The only thing is, a part of me wants to turn this into clopfiction, while another part of me wants to keep it clean enough to be able to be posted onto EqD.  Is it possible to take a third option, wherein I have two different versions, or even an "alternate ending" that turns into clopfiction or something?  I...uh...I'd like some advice.

Oh, and I was hoping maybe I could find someone to help edit my story/stories.

My best advice is to write both versions, and offer one to EqD, and the other to post on FIM Fiction/clopsort.  It makes things easier on us pre-readers.

As for editing, hit up Ponychan and ask anypony there for an assist.  We pre-readers don't usually offer editing services (I'm already doing so for two other writers, myself), but Ponychan's pretty good about help.

Formerly Priestling

• The Beast
« Reply #160 on: January 21, 2012, 04:14:32 pm »
Well, I'm working on the clean version now, and it involves them going to Appleloosa right now before nightfall hits.  I'm almost tempted to make the cloppy version occur between the ponies kissing and between Pinkie waking up from a nice little slumber to go to Appleloosa.  Also, I'm just saying "sure, why not" with the town being on the horizon, because I don't think spending the night in the desert alone is a good idea.

I dunno.  Details clearly aren't done, but we'll see how things go.  I'm honestly hoping for this to be a one parter, because 3000 words minimum just sounds insane to me.  I dunno.  We'll see how things develop.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #161 on: January 21, 2012, 05:04:02 pm »
The best fics are the ones where you don't realize there IS a clop version, and it doesn't detract from the main body of the work by having the clop not included.

Formerly Priestling

• The Beast
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2012, 05:26:37 pm »
The best fics are the ones where you don't realize there IS a clop version, and it doesn't detract from the main body of the work by having the clop not included.

Fair enough.  I now have a question.  According to submission guidelines, the story should be at least 2500 words.  I've hit what could easily be a conclusion at 1300 or so.  So I have two questions.

1.  How strict is the minimum word requirement?  I mean, I can add to my story and do my best to not make it suck, but I'd practically have to double it, and I'm not in the business of making things unnecessarily wordy just to pad my story's length.

2.  Would a one part story be able to include a kind of self-contained epilogue if I though I had reached a conclusion early?  I suppose it could, but unless I change up the last bit, I can't see any way to really do this without a time skip from...maybe the next morning when they finally are able to get a train back to Ponyville, or when they actually arrive.  I suppose if I were a more experienced writer, I'd be able to figure out what to do for myself without asking.  Also, I suppose typing here is a way for me to turn options over in my head for how to continue/extend this story without the quality suffering.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2012, 05:54:49 pm »

Fair enough.  I now have a question.  According to submission guidelines, the story should be at least 2500 words.  I've hit what could easily be a conclusion at 1300 or so.  So I have two questions.

1.  How strict is the minimum word requirement?  I mean, I can add to my story and do my best to not make it suck, but I'd practically have to double it, and I'm not in the business of making things unnecessarily wordy just to pad my story's length.

2.  Would a one part story be able to include a kind of self-contained epilogue if I though I had reached a conclusion early?  I suppose it could, but unless I change up the last bit, I can't see any way to really do this without a time skip from...maybe the next morning when they finally are able to get a train back to Ponyville, or when they actually arrive.  I suppose if I were a more experienced writer, I'd be able to figure out what to do for myself without asking.  Also, I suppose typing here is a way for me to turn options over in my head for how to continue/extend this story without the quality suffering.

To your first, the fic has to be MIND-BLOWINGLY good to be under the word count, especially that far.  If it's that low, odds are good we'll tell you to post it to FIM Fiction or something.  Equestria Daily is a double-edged sword with our requirements.  The reason we have such a high minimum word count is because any fic that meets that mark is generally pretty damned good (though we've had exceptions...) and to try and keep the flood of fic down (which doesn't help, surprisingly).

The second... you can have the epilogue, and it might add several hundred words to your word count, but admittedly, it wouldn't hurt either way.

Anything else? :3

Formerly Priestling

• The Beast
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

To your first, the fic has to be MIND-BLOWINGLY good to be under the word count, especially that far.  If it's that low, odds are good we'll tell you to post it to FIM Fiction or something.  Equestria Daily is a double-edged sword with our requirements.  The reason we have such a high minimum word count is because any fic that meets that mark is generally pretty damned good (though we've had exceptions...) and to try and keep the flood of fic down (which doesn't help, surprisingly).

The second... you can have the epilogue, and it might add several hundred words to your word count, but admittedly, it wouldn't hurt either way.

Anything else? :3

I don't think so at the moment.  I was kinda going to end it with them heading to Appleloosta with a bit about sending a lesson to Princess Celestia about what they learned, but I decided to go on to them seeing Braeburn and getting a room for the night, followed by the getting up in the morning so that the can return to Ponyville.  I might even have some interaction with the main cast when they get back.  Hell, I might have one or both of them write a letter to Princess Celestia at the very end.