Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1645677 times)

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3780 on: April 29, 2014, 10:17:44 pm »
Well, there's always r/atheism to make fun of.

Did r/atheism piss in your cheerios when you were a kid? I honestly don't understand why you hate that subreddit so much.

See my post above.
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3781 on: April 29, 2014, 10:44:21 pm »
Weren't you told to stop with the double posting?

Ironbite-pretty sure you were.
When did you become a moderator?

Did r/atheism piss in your cheerios when you were a kid? I honestly don't understand why you hate that subreddit so much.

I don't "hate" r/atheism.  I just think that it's kinda funny seeing a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals run around crowing about how atheism is the most superior mindset ever.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3782 on: April 29, 2014, 10:48:52 pm »

I don't "hate" r/atheism.  I just think that it's kinda funny seeing a bunch of pseudo-intellectuals run around crowing about how atheism is the most superior mindset ever.

r/atheism is full of exactly the kind of pretentious anti-theists that give validation to the "militant atheist" stereotype. They are one of the reasons I'm an agnostic. The agnostics seem to be the only philosophical group (aside from perhaps the Buddhists) without a significant vocal minority of douchenozzles.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3783 on: April 29, 2014, 11:14:21 pm »
Believe me, I've encountered more than my fair share of aggressive agnostics. What I've found id that their vitriol tends to be reserved for atheists, usually with some variant of "you can't know for sure, so you're being arrogant." The fact is, no one is 100% sure that their is no god, even Professor Richard Dawkins says he's only 98%.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3784 on: April 29, 2014, 11:30:46 pm »
You should really just edit posts and clip them to keep them from being too long Paragon.  I'm not mad and am only saying this out of concern.  I'll admit that I double-post every now and again myself, but that's usually only to show that something new has been posted in a thread that people might not look at again otherwise.  That justification doesn't exist here though.

I think that if yours is the last post in a thread and you edit it, the thread shows up as having a new post. (That said, the timestamp of said post doesn't change, so it doesn't get bumped to the top, so it might not get seen at all if it's on the second page in its subforum, but then that probably violates the thread necro rules.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3785 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:07 pm »
r/atheism is full of exactly the kind of pretentious anti-theists that give validation to the "militant atheist" stereotype. They are one of the reasons I'm an agnostic. The agnostics seem to be the only philosophical group (aside from perhaps the Buddhists) without a significant vocal minority of douchenozzles.

I've found that most of the criticism aimed at r/atheism is projected from religious people who can't stand any criticism of their beliefs and constantly whine whenever anything is posted there. Besides that, r/atheism isn't any better or worse than most other subreddits.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3786 on: April 29, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »

I've found that most of the criticism aimed at r/atheism is projected from religious people who can't stand any criticism of their beliefs and constantly whine whenever anything is posted there.

So what about all of the atheists and agnostics that criticize it?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline fancy_kitten

• Bishop
  • The fanciest little kitten
« Reply #3787 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:53 am »

I've found that most of the criticism aimed at r/atheism is projected from religious people who can't stand any criticism of their beliefs and constantly whine whenever anything is posted there. Besides that, r/atheism isn't any better or worse than most other subreddits.

That's kind of the point though.  To paraphrase someone from another forum, r/anything is barely a step above hitting yourself repeatedly with one of your home appliances as an alternative to just sitting there bored.  So it only stands to reason that r/atheism would pretty much represent the worst of atheism.  I'm not saying their critics are better- when I went to r/Christianity it was full of passive-aggressive douche bags who made me wonder why False Equivalencism isn't an official sect yet, and one dude there unironically wrote a mini-essay on why people should get the death penalty for any infraction of Biblical law.  Granted, those are the extremes, but the extremes from r/atheism aren't much better.  Like I said though, it's mostly just boring memes and pretentious crap.
It's me, the little fancy kitten

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3788 on: April 30, 2014, 12:14:33 am »
Huh, sounds like FSTDT could get a lot of quotes out of r/Christianity.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an R/Asatru or R/Heathen and it was just as full of fuckwits.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #3789 on: April 30, 2014, 12:31:47 am »

I've found that most of the criticism aimed at r/atheism is projected from religious people who can't stand any criticism of their beliefs and constantly whine whenever anything is posted there.

So what about all of the atheists and agnostics that criticize it?

Atheists are typically welcoming of criticism, I've found. It's just painfully obvious that most of the accusations of "militancy" and "aggressiveness" come from Christians* who can't stand the thought that atheists exist and might want to voice their opinions on religion.

* I said Christians because Reddit has an English-speaking userbase and is predominately Christian. I have no illusions that Jews, Muslims, etc. would be any more accomodating.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #3790 on: April 30, 2014, 01:01:36 am »
(aside from perhaps the Buddhists) without a significant vocal minority of douchenozzles.

There's militant terrorist Buddhists in Sri Lanka.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3791 on: April 30, 2014, 01:05:39 am »
And in Burma.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3792 on: April 30, 2014, 01:42:25 am »
All of nonfiction up to this point in history, TLDR version: no matter what group/cause/what have you people align themselves with, a significant portion of of those people will be assholes about it.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3793 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:42 am »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3794 on: April 30, 2014, 11:42:13 am »