Author Topic: Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?  (Read 3823 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 06:23:59 pm »
And the brick walls are built.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
Re: Is Anyone Here A Determinist In Favor of Legal Abortion?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 05:05:36 am »
Oh, goody, a game of Sophistry.

It would seem like if everything is predestined then there's no point in being an activist or even in voting for that matter, everything will turn out exactly the way that it does no matter what, so why bother lifting a finger, unless it's to be able to look back and point at yourself and say "see what I was a part of."
Put two minutes of thought into it. When you have grasped the obvious, we can maybe talk about details.

Oh what the hell..
First, with radical determinism you don't have a choice whether to be an activist or not, so no questioning the motivation.
Second, the 'way things turn out' is not determined (cf. determinism) by fate, but by the actions of the members of society (using societal activism as an example). So as a member of society, your actions very much determine which way history will go.

But why did you take the action you took? Did you just do it for no reason at all? No. Then there are factors which determined your social activism and hence through that everything that came from it.
Yes, that's what I implicated in my first point.
You ask about the nature of motivation under a deterministic POV. Then you switch gears and ask about the (compared to the rather philosophical nature of the first question, utterly mundane) specific determining factors.
Are your questions serving a point? I'm getting the impression of no.
(and it seems others came to that conclusion before me anyway)
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.