Author Topic: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?  (Read 12843 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
Re: Who do you think was behind the Boston attacks?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 11:58:30 pm »
I'm thinking it was a small number of fucknuggets, and likely a domestic attack. In all honesty, I am dismayed that so many fundies are already blaming the Middle East when the investigation has barely begun.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 12:10:16 am »
The lack of flaunting makes me figure it's a domestic concern. As for the rest, I'm pretty fucking baffled, there are far more significant events for your typical extremist to hit. Unless we've got a lard liberation front striking against health and fitness, which I wouldn't entirely put past this country.

I want to refute this.

I want to refute this.

._.

But I can't.

Do you think a fatass bum would have the will and energy to pull this off?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:19 am »
I'll take Alex for 100, Alex.
<that was snark, not a typo>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 12:43:44 am »
I'm thinking it was a small number of fucknuggets, and likely a domestic attack. In all honesty, I am dismayed that so many fundies are already blaming the Middle East when the investigation has barely begun.
I'm not.
Really the fact that I never heard of Patriot's Day and also it's Boston not exactly the biggest city.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 12:50:16 am »
The lack of flaunting makes me figure it's a domestic concern. As for the rest, I'm pretty fucking baffled, there are far more significant events for your typical extremist to hit. Unless we've got a lard liberation front striking against health and fitness, which I wouldn't entirely put past this country.

I want to refute this.

I want to refute this.

._.

But I can't.

Do you think a fatass bum would have the will and energy to pull this off?

You'd be surprised what a cause can do to people.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 01:19:35 am »
REAL IRA!  REAL IRA!

Ironbite-just because I want some variety in my terrorists

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 01:48:41 am »
There's another thread here mentioning that an envelope with ricin was sent to a Republican senator. Different state, but the timing makes me think that they could be related. In which case it may be a radical left-winger, or someone independently insane.

The bombs were "pressure cooker bombs", homemade explosives packed into a pressure cooker and filled with bits of metal and ball bearings for shrapnel, hidden in two backpacks. Relatively low explosive power, relying on the shrapnel and fragmentation to kill people rather than causing property damage (no structural damage beyond blowing out adjacent building windows). One guy in the House of Representatives suggest black powder as the explosive, and the footage of the bombing does indeed look like a contained black powder explosion from the ones I've seen. Detonated by an egg timer.

It's a bomb which requires little skill to make as long as you can get the ingredients, suggesting an amateur. Al-Qaeda has yet to take credit, which is unlike them. Probably an individual radical, possibly a Boston local who would have known the significance of Patriots' Day. If it was Al-Qaeda related, I'd imagine it was an independent who fell for their propaganda and wanted to impress them.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 02:16:49 am »
I've heard Pakistan Taliban claimed it wasn't them.
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 02:43:40 am »
An asshole, pure and simple. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:45 am »
There's another thread here mentioning that an envelope with ricin was sent to a Republican senator. Different state, but the timing makes me think that they could be related. In which case it may be a radical left-winger, or someone independently insane.

The bombs were "pressure cooker bombs", homemade explosives packed into a pressure cooker and filled with bits of metal and ball bearings for shrapnel, hidden in two backpacks. Relatively low explosive power, relying on the shrapnel and fragmentation to kill people rather than causing property damage (no structural damage beyond blowing out adjacent building windows). One guy in the House of Representatives suggest black powder as the explosive, and the footage of the bombing does indeed look like a contained black powder explosion from the ones I've seen. Detonated by an egg timer.

It's a bomb which requires little skill to make as long as you can get the ingredients, suggesting an amateur. Al-Qaeda has yet to take credit, which is unlike them. Probably an individual radical, possibly a Boston local who would have known the significance of Patriots' Day. If it was Al-Qaeda related, I'd imagine it was an independent who fell for their propaganda and wanted to impress them.

Someone at the scene when the bombs went off was interviewed on the BBC news feed the other day and said it smelled distinctively of cordite, a low explosive that was used like gunpowder in the past.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 08:59:04 am »

Someone at the scene when the bombs went off was interviewed on the BBC news feed the other day and said it smelled distinctively of cordite, a low explosive that was used like gunpowder in the past.

I looked up the statement, but I can't find any info on that particular man's identity beyond "He called up and said so, yeah?"

Frankly, the explosion doesn't look like cordite. By no means should you take my opinion as expert; I only have some level of knowledge and experience when it comes to pyrotechnics, none of it put into practice (because I'm not that stupid) and very little of it "professional". But I do know some things. The initial blast in Boston was a dull reddish-orange, low-velocity propagation (I'll provide a picture below to explain), and large amounts of thick white smoke. It looks exactly like a contained black powder explosion. This video opens up with a gunpowder explosion contained in a wooden barrel (less than a minute in, so no need to skip around). It looks extremely similar to the Boston Marathon bombs, as you can tell, albeit a much larger powder charge. This is a far image of the explosion, and you can see the similarities.

As for the low blast wave, there's two pictures used for comparison that I'll place below. They're video screencaps highlighting the location of one of the bombs just before it goes off. The second picture has had the graphic content blurred out, but some people may not want to look anyway.

(click to show/hide)

You'll notice how the areas around are intact, much like the reports that say that only the windows of adjacent buildings were shattered in terms of property damage. Nothing's been knocked over except for what was immediately next to the bomb, and there's surprisingly little debris around. It looks very much like a low explosive contained to turn it into a bomb (you need to contain black powder to get a true explosion, as it allows for pressure buildup that ruptures the container).

Also, black powder would be a perfect substance to use: it can be easily made at home by anyone with access to sulfur (can be purchased as garden supply, like this link on Amazon), potassium nitrate (available in garden supply stores), and charcoal (burn some wood). It doesn't take a degree in chemistry to make; just follow an online recipe and use non-sparking tools and you'll get something that blows up. It's easy to ignite as long as you can make a spark, so it's reliable. Black powder bombs are ideal for wannabes who don't have the money, talent, or connections to make something more powerful like homemade plastic explosive (which is also harder to detonate).

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 09:11:46 am »
I'd guess this was some homegrown nutcase.  They seem to be showing up more and more. 

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 10:39:22 am »
I'm guessing domestic, two. IslamoZealot groups would be taking credit like crazy. They're attention-whores. This is either an Eric-Rudolph-type psycho, an IslamoZealot wannabee....or even a psychopath like the Aurora & Sandy Hook who just did it for funzies.

Where it was placed might suggest clues:

* It's the Boston Marathon, a huge patriotic event in Boston, held on Patriot's Day.
* THIS Boston Marathon was held in honor of the victims of the the Sandy Hook Shootings, several of the family members were in attendance.
* The explosion happened in an area that not only had a bunch of people but was apparently a special area with a slew of world flags. This may have been where some of the Sandy Hook family members were (though, fortunately, none weren't killed or hurt seriously).
* This person is very smart & aware of bombing prevention measures taken by authorities. Before the marathon, cops went through extensively with bomb-stuffing dogs. This person or persons knew this and waited until after the dogs went through to place their bombs.

This screams "domestic", big-time.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 12:14:28 pm »
* This person is very smart & aware of bombing prevention measures taken by authorities. Before the marathon, cops went through extensively with bomb-stuffing dogs. This person or persons knew this and waited until after the dogs went through to place their bombs.

If this is the case, I'm almost inclined to believe it was someone local or someone who was very familiar with the usual Boston Marathon procedures. Of course, it could be someone who did extensive research, but I dunno. That seems fishy. I was not familiar with the size of the marathon or the extreme security measures, and I think the average person would be the same way. That makes me lean even more towards my original point.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 01:13:38 pm »
Boston Marathon, Tax Day, and Patriots' Day all rolled into one big monument of symbolism.