Author Topic: Worst of Social Justice  (Read 1533077 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Worst of Social Justice
« Reply #8640 on: November 19, 2016, 03:34:31 pm »
Oh please.  Chyna was not even that good nor famous a wrestler to be even in the same breath as Prince.

Ironbite-Prince was an icon, Chyna was a chump.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8641 on: November 19, 2016, 03:41:41 pm »
...Who the hell is Chyna?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8642 on: November 19, 2016, 06:01:14 pm »
She was a professional wrestler, who died back in April.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #8643 on: November 19, 2016, 06:02:39 pm »
She was a professional wrestler, who died back in April.

Ah, thank you. It does say something, though, that I've heard about Prince, despite never listening to any of his music (or anyone else in his genre), but I've never heard of Chyna. Though, I'm no wrestling fan either.

Still, maybe Prince was just more famous.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8644 on: November 19, 2016, 07:16:14 pm »
Not to mention the fact that Prince changed his name to exploit a loophole in his recording contract, not because he was egotistical.
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8645 on: November 19, 2016, 09:32:34 pm »
'it's ok to be a femme-looking male like Prince was'

uhh

which universe is this where femininity in men is more accepted than masculinity in women
Σא

Even Then

« Reply #8646 on: November 19, 2016, 09:41:45 pm »
and where can I buy tickets to it

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8647 on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:45 pm »

I think somebody's missing the point of being "pro-choice."

pyro

« Reply #8648 on: November 21, 2016, 09:40:37 pm »

I'm never going to have an abortion.

Because I can't get pregnant.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #8649 on: November 21, 2016, 09:44:45 pm »
Wow. But I've seen that behavior before in feminists. The way some would look down on women who were housewives by choice.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8650 on: November 22, 2016, 07:56:55 pm »

Me neither. Kinda sucks :(

Though, I mean, uterus transplants are already possible...

Anyway. Yeah. "I would not do X" doesn't always imply "I think X is wrong" (and the somewhat more subtle distinction that "I think X is wrong" doesn't always imply "I want X to be illegal").
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #8651 on: November 23, 2016, 02:49:43 am »

Me neither. Kinda sucks :(

Though, I mean, uterus transplants are already possible...

Anyway. Yeah. "I would not do X" doesn't always imply "I think X is wrong" (and the somewhat more subtle distinction that "I think X is wrong" doesn't always imply "I want X to be illegal").

Hmm...

"You can't say you support euthanasia if you won't immediately kill yourself."

"You can't say that you support gay marriage unless you are willing to marry same-sex."

This is the main reason why I say that idiots arguing on the same side as you is always worse than having the idiots argue against you.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8652 on: November 27, 2016, 11:44:33 am »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #8653 on: November 29, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
I love how the writer dismisses the criticism of racism in America by implying that electing Obama is enough to prove it doesn't exist anymore.

Castro was a totalitarian, oppressive dictator but a racist he was not: he sent Cuban doctors to African countries and supported anti-Apartheid fight in South-Africa as well as the civil rights movement in USA. This naturally also served his geopolitical interests but he seemed to be a genuine anti-colonialism crusader. When it comes to racism in Cuba Castro admitted his failure in fighting it.

It was particularly illuminating when he informed us that the Cuban Revolution had underestimated the power of racism. As he said at the time, when the 26th of July Movement (the revolutionary organization that led the anti-Batista struggle) took power they thought that it was enough to render racist discrimination illegal and that should settle the matter. The entrenched power of racism, even in a society that was attempting to root it out, was more substantial than they had anticipated.

A totalitarian response of just making the unwanted behaviour illegal ignoring the deeper historical and social dynamics did not work. Surprise.

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #8654 on: November 29, 2016, 04:16:13 pm »
I love how the writer dismisses the criticism of racism in America by implying that electing Obama is enough to prove it doesn't exist anymore.

Does he?  Let's see:

Regrettably, Cuba is a morally sick nation, a victim of the totalitarian monologue that Castroism managed to establish thanks to the acquiescence of the majority of the population. And the regime continues with its tired spiels about racism in the United States, despite the fact that Barack Obama is still in office, after having been democratically elected for a second term.

This is why it struck me as significant that, at the sessions held this week before the US Senate and House of Representatives, most of the testimonies from dissidents and civil society representatives came from black and mixed-race individuals, reminding us that they are the ones who suffered the most and were most heavily trampled on by the deceitfully liberating stampede of Castroism.

To me, it looks more like the author is pointing out the Castro regime's hypocrisy, as well as saying racism is less severe in America.

Castro was a totalitarian, oppressive dictator but a racist he was not: he sent Cuban doctors to African countries and supported anti-Apartheid fight in South-Africa as well as the civil rights movement in USA. This naturally also served his geopolitical interests but he seemed to be a genuine anti-colonialism crusader. When it comes to racism in Cuba Castro admitted his failure in fighting it.

It was particularly illuminating when he informed us that the Cuban Revolution had underestimated the power of racism. As he said at the time, when the 26th of July Movement (the revolutionary organization that led the anti-Batista struggle) took power they thought that it was enough to render racist discrimination illegal and that should settle the matter. The entrenched power of racism, even in a society that was attempting to root it out, was more substantial than they had anticipated.

A totalitarian response of just making the unwanted behaviour illegal ignoring the deeper historical and social dynamics did not work. Surprise.

The problem with what you're saying is that Castroism is a major reason why Cuba is still very racist:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sunday/for-blacks-in-cuba-the-revolution-hasnt-begun.html

Racism in Cuba has been concealed and reinforced in part because it isn’t talked about. The government hasn’t allowed racial prejudice to be debated or confronted politically or culturally, often pretending instead as though it didn’t exist. Before 1990, black Cubans suffered a paralysis of economic mobility while, paradoxically, the government decreed the end of racism in speeches and publications. To question the extent of racial progress was tantamount to a counterrevolutionary act. This made it almost impossible to point out the obvious: racism is alive and well.

Not to mention the elephant in the room regarding demographics:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/24/world/americas/obamaurges-raised-voices-incubas-husheddiscussions-ofrace.html?_r=1

And yet, Cuba is no more postracial than anywhere else. Many Afro-Cubans here and abroad have been quick to point out that the presence of Mr. Obama, the first black president of the United States, only highlights that the Cuban government does not reflect the demographics of their country.

On an island that is around two-thirds black and mixed race, according to a 2007 study by the Cuban economist Esteban Morales Domínguez, the civil and public leadership is about 70 percent white. He also found that most scientists, technicians and university professors, up to 80 percent in some fields, were white.

“The images of the meetings, the agreements, they’re all shameful for many black Cubans — I’m including myself in this — because it’s difficult to feel represented,” said Odette Casamayor-Cisneros, an associate professor of Latin American and Caribbean literatures and cultures at the University of Connecticut and a scholar at Harvard University.

She added that elements of Mr. Obama’s trip reflected some of the same dynamics: The Cuban-Americans traveling with the president were nearly all white, as were the Cuban officials who interacted with him on the island. Indeed, much of the audience for his speech on Tuesday was white.

In that context, the president — along with his wife, daughters and mother-in-law, who joined him on the trip — offers a clear contrast.

“What you see is confirmation of black empowerment, which has generally been denied in Cuban society,” Ms. Casamayor-Cisneros said. “For black Cubans, the mere existence of Obama is unusual and overwhelmingly symbolic.”

There's trying and failing, and then there's failing to try. Castro was perfectly willing to fight racism abroad, but when it came to the racism in his own country, he decided passing a few laws and making "racism is over" speeches was good enough. Was he racist himself? I don't know. But either way, his complete failure to tackle racism in Cuba isn't something that can just be swept under the rug.

Besides, saying that the Cuban Revolution was against white supremacy is pseudohistory.