Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1673494 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #3345 on: July 29, 2013, 12:53:09 am »
What the hell was going on in the 30s?

FAIL. Just go to the graph's home at http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/listening_to_the_latest_media.html
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:01:23 am by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3346 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:12 am »
I can't tell shit from that graph.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #3347 on: July 29, 2013, 01:10:04 am »

The freaking Great Depression and the rise of the mafia.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3348 on: July 29, 2013, 02:32:39 am »

The freaking Great Depression and the rise of the mafia.

Sorry Prohibition sounds like what?

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #3349 on: July 29, 2013, 02:34:17 am »
Hi, long time lurker here.  I just wanted to ask, is anyone here from Australia?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #3350 on: July 29, 2013, 03:15:28 am »
I'm from Australia, and I have no idea what that cartoon is about.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #3351 on: July 29, 2013, 04:34:04 am »
It's like the bogans from the Bondi riots had a love child with the One Nation Party that puked on Photoshop and posted it somewhere.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3352 on: July 29, 2013, 10:16:43 am »

FAIL. Just go to the graph's home at http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/12/listening_to_the_latest_media.html

what did i just read? the guy says "no cherry picking." then proceeds to break down murder rates by states and compare em to france... of course new hampshire has less murders per 100k people than france. there's not 65m people in new hampshire is there? and new hampshire is 1/50th of the USA. i suck at math and demographics, but man, this is wrong and wronger!
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #3353 on: July 29, 2013, 02:02:18 pm »

what did i just read? the guy says "no cherry picking." then proceeds to break down murder rates by states and compare em to france... of course new hampshire has less murders per 100k people than france. there's not 65m people in new hampshire is there? and new hampshire is 1/50th of the USA. i suck at math and demographics, but man, this is wrong and wronger!

It's the American Stinker, more or less the poor man's World Net Daily or Clownhall.com.

Offline Knight of Liberty

• Neonate
« Reply #3354 on: July 29, 2013, 05:28:59 pm »

No, that's not true.  New Hampshire could well have a lower murder rate per capita than France and this would be meaningful data, irrespective of the difference in population between New Hampshire and France.  I will grant that only looking at New Hampshire, rather than the whole of the United States, could be construed as cherry picking, but there actually is a good reason to do something like that.  Basically, it comes down to this: murder rates in inner cities are astronomical (I remember hearing that Detroit's murder rate is comparable to Somalia's), while murder rates in less urban areas are much lower, often being comparable to those of, say, Belgium or Canada.  We have reason to believe that this disparity is due to the War on Drugs (which I'll bet the writer of the original article is completely in favor of), to the point where about 50% of gun violence may stem from drug-related gang warfare.  This also shows that a culture of gun ownership does not necessarily lead to blood in the streets (though even I think that a gun-to-person ratio of .9 may be excessive).

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3355 on: July 29, 2013, 08:41:29 pm »
very true, but there's also the cherry-picking issue of gun crimes, stated explicitely in the link provided. france doesn't have a gun to inhabitant ratio of .9, to use your term (thank pelor!), although indeed your claims made sense
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #3356 on: July 29, 2013, 11:00:12 pm »

No, that's not true.  New Hampshire could well have a lower murder rate per capita than France and this would be meaningful data, irrespective of the difference in population between New Hampshire and France.  I will grant that only looking at New Hampshire, rather than the whole of the United States, could be construed as cherry picking, but there actually is a good reason to do something like that.  Basically, it comes down to this: murder rates in inner cities are astronomical (I remember hearing that Detroit's murder rate is comparable to Somalia's), while murder rates in less urban areas are much lower, often being comparable to those of, say, Belgium or Canada.  We have reason to believe that this disparity is due to the War on Drugs (which I'll bet the writer of the original article is completely in favor of), to the point where about 50% of gun violence may stem from drug-related gang warfare.  This also shows that a culture of gun ownership does not necessarily lead to blood in the streets (though even I think that a gun-to-person ratio of .9 may be excessive).

Keep in mind that most gun related deaths are suicides.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:17:10 am by Iconic Komodo Dragon 2 »
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #3357 on: July 30, 2013, 01:16:17 am »
Keep in mind that most gun related deaths are suicides.

Indeed. And we should also point out that a lot of these sources lump justifiable homicide and suspects who were shot by police while in the commission of a crime in with general homicide. And a huge portion of homicides are gang related, as well.

Just my two cents.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3358 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »

Sorry about that. I should have warned you about the articles.

Don't read conservative blogs, kids!

Is it possible that part of the reason for the severe gang violence in the US is the ready availability of legal guns?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:53:49 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3359 on: July 30, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »
Is it possible that part of the reason for the severe gang violence in the US is the ready availability of legal guns?

While possible, there are many other contributing factors that we could fix without either amending or circumventing the Constitution, like poverty, discrimination, and access to quality education.

Also, just something political that annoys the fuck outta me: people, typically non-Americans, that say we should just ignore the 2nd Amendment because it "was made by some old fuckers over 200 years ago."  Yes, let's ignore what is essentially the founding legal document of our entire nation, the one that outlines our rights and our most fundamental laws as a society.  Not to mention that the 2nd Amendment is part of the Bill of Rights, what's considered the very core of our nation's being.  Yes, just ignore it and impose draconian, no-guns-at-all legislation, because the Constitution is over 200 years-old.  That will end well.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.