Author Topic: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010  (Read 13448 times)

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
Re: ICE mistakenly deports teenage girl missing since 2010
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:01 pm »
At first blush (and I feel furious with myself over it) I blamed the victim in giving the fake name in the first place. Seriously, I felt rotten over it and like the worst person in the world.

After a bit more thinking I had to wonder how you can confuse a 14 year old for a 22 year old. Did we also not try to do face matching? Then there was the incompetence of the fingerprinting and everything else.

All in all a rotten thing. But... I read something about her getting on to Facebook and talking about her job. That should have set off warning bells too.

Chances are if they don't have prints, they don't have a picture either.
And seriously? I've known a few young teens that could pass as adults, and a few adults that could pass as kids. Given the amount of traffic through ICE, I'm sure it wasn't all that hard a mistake to make
Perhaps so. But if someone has a warrant out for their arrest there should be a picture you can use which takes little time at all (though admittedly sometimes there isn't even that). As I said, more incompetence.

It's a clusterfuck all around.

Yes, it would be nice if warrants had a picture. But there's what we wish, and then there's reality. Sometimes they only have a picture drawn up by description.

Did say sometimes there isn't even that.

I guess my point is 1) They didn't exhaust all possibilities. 2) They probably didn't even care. 3) It's rotten all around.

And my point wasn't focusing on that. It was that's what you want, or that's what should be, but reality doesn't work that way
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »
Except y'know, I admitted that it didn't but whatever makes you happy. I see nothing wrong with having pointed out flaws in the whole process. But again, whatever makes you happy.

Not like I was saying 'it should have happened this way' instead of 'these are the failings'.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:32:32 pm by Shane for Wax »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 12:53:09 am »
What worries me is that these ridiculously lax standards of evidence might be general policy and not a one-off incident.

I went to the UK to stay with a friend for 3 months. I was detained, and the guy who questioned me believed I was there to work. When I told him I could prove that I was only there to visit, he irately said, "I'm not looking for proof. I'm looking for believability!" Thanks to this dumbass, I was deported, and never got to see my friend while I was there.

That said, at least they could see that I wasn't from the UK, thanks to my American passport.  I've been told by some of my international friends that American immigration is even stricter than the UK, but they should at least try to verify which [insert common name] she is, instead of assuming without any evidence that she's an illegal immigrant.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 12:55:17 am »
That is a pretty BIG goof there.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2012, 01:05:17 am »
What worries me is that these ridiculously lax standards of evidence might be general policy and not a one-off incident.

I went to the UK to stay with a friend for 3 months. I was detained, and the guy who questioned me believed I was there to work. When I told him I could prove that I was only there to visit, he irately said, "I'm not looking for proof. I'm looking for believability!" Thanks to this dumbass, I was deported, and never got to see my friend while I was there.

That said, at least they could see that I wasn't from the UK, thanks to my American passport.  I've been told by some of my international friends that American immigration is even stricter than the UK, but they should at least try to verify which [insert common name] she is, instead of assuming without any evidence that she's an illegal immigrant.

Yeah, I went through the same thing a couple of years ago.  Of course that means that now I have a record, I pretty much won't be able to return - they'll use that as evidence that I'm up to something :(

edit:  I haven't had any real problems with US Immigration, though.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2012, 01:19:12 am »
I was worried that this mark would prevent me from other overseas travel, but the Australians weren't fussed about it. :) I'm also going to try again to visit my UK friend again, and think I'll have a better chance next time around.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:17 am »
Interesting.  My aunt - who I was going over to visit - spoke to the Head of Immigration, and he said that I'd need a visa for travelling anywhere within the Commonwealth.  Hmm.

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 01:34:19 am »
I did have a visa for Australia, because they require it. The UK website says people from some countries, including America, don't need a visa to stay for up to 6 months, as long as we don't work. I didn't have any trouble getting into France without a visa, and I should have been fine without a visa for the UK, because I was following their rules. Unfortunately, I was told after the fact that a visa would have given me a right to appeal before they put me on the plane out of there. I'll certainly apply for a UK visa before I try going there again. I still have the proof that the border control guy was wrong, and will use it if they try to turn me down.

If I were you, Chad, I would apply for a visa and see what happens. If you get the visa but they try to turn you away at the airport, the visa should give you a right to appeal. Then again, I don't know what country you're from, so you should check with UK immigration and make sure before trying again.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 01:36:55 am »
I've made four applications for a tourist visa, and been rejected every time.  Different reasons each time; I'm almost done with it now anyway. >:(

Offline Neith

• Bishop
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 02:00:06 am »
I'm sorry to hear that, and wish I knew a way to help. :( This also makes me wonder about my own chances of visiting there.