Author Topic: I'm not the only one  (Read 5611 times)

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
  • Never trust a white man with power.
I'm not the only one
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/04/18/19651101.html#/news/london/2012/04/18/pf-19651101.html

A Hamilton man has filed a $3.25-million claim against the province, claiming it failed to protect him in the 1980s from sexual abuse by a staff member at a London centre for troubled kids.

Shawn Mann said Wednesday he was sent in 1983 to the Children's Psychiatric Research Institute (CPRI, which is now called the Child Parent Resource Institute) because he'd been getting into trouble at school and at home.

CPRI specialized in care for children with behavioural, developmental and psychiatric issues.

The day he arrived, he said, an "overly friendly" staffer moved uncomfortably close to him in the smoking area. Within a week, the same man approached him in the shower and fondled him until another resident placed himself in harm's way on Mann's behalf.

This escalated, the statement of claim says, into a months-long "campaign of sexual assault and terrorization" that included abuse during a camping trip and on a day trip.

As new residents would arrive, the staff member turned his attention to them, Mann said Wednesday...

I'm not the only one.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: I'm not the only one
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:30:45 pm »
I'm not the only one.

I am so sorry to hear that!

Are you going to contact the man who brought the suit?
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »
Great....

Ironbite-you gonna go get your pound of flesh now?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:41:56 am »

I'm not sure where you were going with this, but that was my reaction to yet another "D was victimized" thread
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:06:41 am »

I'm not sure where you were going with this, but that was my reaction to yet another "D was victimized" thread

Knowing the context of his post, I'm going to say...

Yes, that was where he was going with that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 04:35:33 am »
Yep. You're both right. I just happened to run into that gif at the time. lol

Though, to be a little less spammy: the case itself is unfortunate. It breaks my heart to see kids victimized and then turned invisible.

I will however say it's a little offensive for D to try to slide under the banner of this case when the two circumstances aren't really the same at all. In many ways.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
Confused autistic is confused. Was D assaulted by this guy or something?
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:08 am »

D has claimed that he was raped by policemen for many years of his life.

He uses this as his justification for his hatred of ALL policemen everywhere, insisting that they're all the same monsters as the men who supposedly raped him, and that anyone who disagrees with him must be a police worshiping boot licker.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 06:58:47 am »

D has claimed that he was raped by policemen for many years of his life.

He uses this as his justification for his hatred of ALL policemen everywhere, insisting that they're all the same monsters as the men who supposedly raped him, and that anyone who disagrees with him must be a police worshiping boot licker.

Oh. Thanks.
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 07:52:08 am »
I am going to ignore the personal part of this with regards to D Laurier.
Shouldn't facilities that will deal with children have checks and balances against this kind of behavior. If I think about the cases of child abuse that I know of, the main perpetrators are religious leaders, teachers, medical staff and babysitters. The aspect of religious leaders is a whole complicated mess of a can of worms with everything from self loathing and sexual repression to just normal pedophilia coming into it so I wont look at it.

With the others, its teachers, normally of very young children. I don't encounter many stories of children in their late pre-teens and early teens being involved. It is normally in the realm of late preschool to early primary school (Not sure what the American name for primary school is but I am talking about ages 6 to 9 here) With medical staff it is normally like in this case at facilities specifically for children. Your general medical facilities don't encounter situations like this as much. as for baby sitters, the incidents that seem to come up a lot is someone who works at or runs a creche. Individual baby sitters are not as often involved.

As such, there seems to be that people who have an inclination to abuse children, are often drawn to professions where they will have access to a very high number of pre-teen children. Shouldn't there be a lot more oversight in these professions to try and cut down on things like this? I will be the first to admit that not everyone who is in these professions is a perpetrator, but there is a serious lack of oversight when things like these can continue for many many years with multiple victims without anyone noticing.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 08:14:21 am »
Some youth organizations require a minimum of two adults present at most times in an attempt to cut this stuff off.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:48 am »
I am going to ignore the personal part of this with regards to D Laurier.
Shouldn't facilities that will deal with children have checks and balances against this kind of behavior. If I think about the cases of child abuse that I know of, the main perpetrators are religious leaders, teachers, medical staff and babysitters. The aspect of religious leaders is a whole complicated mess of a can of worms with everything from self loathing and sexual repression to just normal pedophilia coming into it so I wont look at it.

With the others, its teachers, normally of very young children. I don't encounter many stories of children in their late pre-teens and early teens being involved. It is normally in the realm of late preschool to early primary school (Not sure what the American name for primary school is but I am talking about ages 6 to 9 here) With medical staff it is normally like in this case at facilities specifically for children. Your general medical facilities don't encounter situations like this as much. as for baby sitters, the incidents that seem to come up a lot is someone who works at or runs a creche. Individual baby sitters are not as often involved.

As such, there seems to be that people who have an inclination to abuse children, are often drawn to professions where they will have access to a very high number of pre-teen children. Shouldn't there be a lot more oversight in these professions to try and cut down on things like this? I will be the first to admit that not everyone who is in these professions is a perpetrator, but there is a serious lack of oversight when things like these can continue for many many years with multiple victims without anyone noticing.

Honey, you're saying things that I have been saying for years. Children, especially those who have no one to turn to, are often victimized and left to rot. They're invisible. The vast majority of the population don't give a damn.

We have social workers who try to fix things. But they're mostly muzzled and told it's not a big a problem as it seems. As I often point out, children have little to no voice in much of anything. It's obvious, so obvious that the people who perpetuate the crimes are able to weasel into jobs they shouldn't be in. Hell, you have abusive people being able to adopt or foster children because the system is so fucking broken we can't repair it. We'd have to demolish and build it from scratch.

It's a cycle that has been going on for decades, centuries, millennia. Most people don't see the affects, so they can easily ignore it. For most cases, the only time we ever really hear about the atrocities is if they're so mind boggling demonic there's no choice but to find out about it. It's an odd thing, really. Since other atrocities are quick to be thrown into our faces (in the case of politicians fucking secretaries or police doing dastardly things).

Children are in a vacuum. Out of sight, out of mind.

...And I just ranted. My apologies.

&

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:25:39 pm »
Yep. You're both right. I just happened to run into that gif at the time. lol

Though, to be a little less spammy: the case itself is unfortunate. It breaks my heart to see kids victimized and then turned invisible.

I will however say it's a little offensive for D to try to slide under the banner of this case when the two circumstances aren't really the same at all. In many ways.
How is my being sexualy abused in CPRI while I was a child not the same as someone else being sexualy abused  in CPRI while they where a child?
Same city.
Same location.
Probably even ther same peadophiles.
Cable (or satelite) TV is like paying someone to projectile poop all over your brain.

Offline D Laurier

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »
I'm not the only one.

I am so sorry to hear that!

Are you going to contact the man who brought the suit?

I've talked with the lawyer involved.