Author Topic: ANC wins South Africa... but its hold is weakened  (Read 818 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
ANC wins South Africa... but its hold is weakened
« on: May 11, 2014, 04:02:53 pm »
Just like in 2009, the African National Congress has won a Pyrrhic victory.  It looks like South Africa's mood is starting to turn against them.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
Re: ANC wins South Africa... but its hold is weakened
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 02:44:40 am »
It was a very depressing election. Despite many people disliking Zuma as a president, they still voted for the ANC. the ANC only lost 3% of its previous national percentage.

Of course the worst of it was the multiple reports of voting irregularities. In at least 4 separate districts the news reported that there were dumped ballots, often ballots for the opposition. There was also a case of the ballot boxes being loaded into an ANC vehicle that caused a riot in Alexandria. Lastly is the fact that the head of the Independent electoral commission was involved in an dodgy tender deal regarding new offices for the IEC, implying that she is very much in bed with the ANC.

I had no doubt the ANC would win this election, but in far to many cases the numbers just dont feel right. The margin for their victory feel strange. The ANC only lost 3%, while the DA grew, and the newly formed EFF gained 7%. I doubt that the EFF votes came from former 3rd party voters, so I cant help but feel that something is decidedly off. All these irregularities have lead me to believe that there was some vote fiddling on the part of the ANC.