Author Topic: Resurrecting the Woolly Mammoth  (Read 4370 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Resurrecting the Woolly Mammoth
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:01 pm »
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-03/russian-and-korean-researchers-will-inject-mammoth-dna-elephant-eggs-resurrecting-10000-year-old-beast

First a plant from the past sprouted new life — now researchers in Russia and South Korea are moving forward with a plan to resurrect the Ice Age woolly mammoth. Scientists in both countries inked a deal Tuesday to share technology and research that could lead to the birth of a mammoth clone, gestated in a surrogate Indian elephant mother.

I have say this sounds awesome, if this works out, who knows what kind of critters from the past we could resurrect in the future

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Resurrecting the Woolly Mammoth
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »
Haven't people been trying to clone a mammoth for quite a while now? I thought the problem was there wasn't any viable DNA. If this is possible, what will be surrogate parent for the T-Rex, Velociraptor, and triceratops?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Cloudy

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:33 pm »
Do we really want to clone T-Rexs and velociraptors, though?  Scenes from Jurassic Park are playing in my mind......

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37:41 pm »
Haven't people been trying to clone a mammoth for quite a while now? I thought the problem was there wasn't any viable DNA. If this is possible, what will be surrogate parent for the T-Rex, Velociraptor, and triceratops?

A Komodo Dragon maybe??

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
Do we really want to clone T-Rexs and velociraptors, though?  Scenes from Jurassic Park are playing in my mind......

Yes, yes we do. Just don't be stupid about it.
Besides, want a velociraptor that's trained to let me ride it . I'm aware the Jurassic Park ones aren't accurate in size, but we can fuck with their genes until they're big enough.

My Little Raptor, My Little Raptor, ah ah ahhh...
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:45 am »
We want it, but sadly it's a bit harder getting velociraptor DNA than mammoth.  Mammoths are relatively recently extinct.  There are enough well-preserved specimens that getting intact DNA is not terribly unlikely.  Anything much older than mammoths (or from places where they wouldn't remain frozen year-round) wouldn't have DNA we could use for cloning purposes.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:57 am »
Mmm. And people wonder why I'm stockpiling ammo.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 06:52:47 pm »

A Komodo Dragon maybe??

Sorry if I'm offending anyone, just a pet peeve of mine here. Komodo Dragons are not even remotely closely related to dinosaurs and never have been. Komodo Dragons are just giant monitor lizards (and thus no more closely related to dinosaurs than most other reptiles), not some last-of-their-kind dinosaur branch.

Also, no DNA is likely to have survived for over 65 million years; the molecules are just too unstable, as supported by the fact that mammoth DNA is heavily damaged after only a few thousand years.

And even if dinosaurs could be resurrected, they were still just animals, not hyperintelligent Hollywood superpredators.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:55:22 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:33:26 pm »
It would be nice to own a woolly mammoth. You'd be the talk of the neighborhood.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

That would be virtually impossible. We are lucky to get any DNA samples from mammoths or neanderthals. Dinosaurs bone are so old there are no DNA in them.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »

A Komodo Dragon maybe??

Sorry if I'm offending anyone, just a pet peeve of mine here. Komodo Dragons are not even remotely closely related to dinosaurs and never have been. Komodo Dragons are just giant monitor lizards (and thus no more closely related to dinosaurs than most other reptiles), not some last-of-their-kind dinosaur branch.

Also, no DNA is likely to have survived for over 65 million years; the molecules are just too unstable, as supported by the fact that mammoth DNA is heavily damaged after only a few thousand years.

And even if dinosaurs could be resurrected, they were still just animals, not hyperintelligent Hollywood superpredators.

It's ok, no offense taken, I didn't mean for it to come off that they are last of their kind dinosaur branch. I only mentioned them due to their size, and I just assumed that some type of large reptile would serve as a surrogate.

That being said, I want the Dodo bird to come back

Cloudy

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:49:29 pm »

That would be virtually impossible. We are lucky to get any DNA samples from mammoths or neanderthals. Dinosaurs bone are so old there are no DNA in them.

You mean Jurassic Park wasn't scientifically accurate?  And here I've been fearing the dinosaur apocalypse this whole time.....  What in the world am I going to do with all of the T-Rex sized bear traps I've set-up all around my house?

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:14 am »

A Komodo Dragon maybe??

It's ok, no offense taken, I didn't mean for it to come off that they are last of their kind dinosaur branch. I only mentioned them due to their size, and I just assumed that some type of large reptile would serve as a surrogate.

That being said, I want the Dodo bird to come back
It's fine. Reptiles tend to suffer from being an unnatural group. Sort of like protists, reptiles are "leftover ancestors" that lie at the base of the mammal and bird lineages in sort of a haphazard pile. While they may seem near-identical on the outside, internally they're quite different. The internal organs of a Komodo Dragon are very different from those of a crocodile, for instance, with the crocodile's anatomy being much closer to that of a bird.

Surprised? Crocs are much more closely related to birds (through dinosaurs, of course) than they are to lizards. The main reason they look more like lizards is because they split off from dinosaurs rather early and went with a niche that didn't require too much change after they'd settled in. Actually, the ancestors of crocodiles were much more lightly built and active than their modern-day descendants. I'll leave you with a reconstruction of Euparkeria, a little reptile close to the common ancestry of crocodiles and dinosaurs.
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/images/taxa/verts/euparkeria_skeleton.gif

EDIT: I'd like to see the Dodo come back too. They're just so awkward it's cute.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:57:10 pm by Random Dinosaur »

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:19 am »
They're also delicious, or so I've heard anyway.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:17 am »

A Komodo Dragon maybe??

Well, as long as it doesn't have a thermonuclear breath-weapon, I won't complain. :P