Author Topic: 2012 Tornado Season predictions  (Read 1808 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
2012 Tornado Season predictions
« on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:18 pm »
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration data shows a count of preliminary tornado reports during January at 95, which is far above the 1991-2010 average of 35.

NOAA reports that "January 2012 will likely rank as the second busiest January on record (for tornadoes)."

Storm chasers are standing by to track development on Thursday and Friday -- and preparing for an active year.

The season usually starts in March and then ramps up for the next couple of months, but forecasting tornado seasons is even more imprecise than predicting hurricane seasons. Tornadoes are too small and too short-lived for scientists to make seasonal predictions.

2011 was a near record year for tornadoes with 1,709 reported. The record was set in 2004 with 1,817 tornadoes.

http://www.kcci.com/r/30527736/detail.html

Sounds like another crazy storms year is upon us.  Living in tornado alley, spring is always a "fun" time for weather.  If only you could make big money being a storm chaser /dream  I would of been one in a heart beat.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: 2012 Tornado Season predictions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »
Last year there were reports of Tornado Alley apparently 'shifting eastward' to encompass more of the South region.  Is that still the case this year, I wonder?  We already had enough twister problems before the shift. 

May as well make the whole continent from the plains eastward into TA.   

Tornadoes are something that I'm totally fascinated by and yet scared shitless of at the same time.

Offline Stick Boy

• Aging Hipster
  • Apprentice
  • Government Grunt since 1989
Re: 2012 Tornado Season predictions
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:11:08 pm »
Gonna be a BIG NUMBER - they already started today in February in Illinois, Indiana and unconfirmed in Missouri last night - on their way to Kentucky and Tennessee.  These are not your traditional tornado states (although they do get them, just not like Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas).  Just like Alabama and the Carolinas last year.  We're getting to 80+ Fahrenheit here already (Texas) - only 14 days where we reached frezzing this winter which shattered the old record.  And there's still a drought.  This summer is probably gonna suck....
I want to be unique.....just like everybody else