Author Topic: $2,400 “Introduction to Linux” course will be free and online this summer  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Linky

tl;dr: this course usually costs $2,400 but this summer you can take it for free, and the Linux Foundation may consider putting more of their courses online like this if this one goes over well. I imagine the certificate you get will mainly be used as something to pad your resume with, but for a 100% discount it's a bargain.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Holy fucking shit are they serious? Anyone who paid any money, especially two fucking grand for such a “course” is fool. It’s not even state or CompTIA recognized! Spend two grand on something that will actually advance your career in tech, eg Cisco certifications, not on Linux! Heck, I certified for A+, Network+ and CCNA for less than $2000! And that included the exams! If you want certification for Linux start with a Linux+ course, it will only cost you hundreds at most.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:00:30 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
some of us can't even afford that, TIM.

Me? I think I'll go for it.  I've never really understood Linux, so I'll give it a try.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
some of us can't even afford that, TIM.
A career in tech is a god damn money pit. Having to recertify every three years, which is the standard, will bleed you dry.

Me? I think I'll go for it.  I've never really understood Linux, so I'll give it a try.
Best of luck and my deepest sympathies.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:30:51 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Best of luck and my deepist sympathies.

I think I have more sympathy for the fact you typo 'deepest'.  Other side of the keyboard, man.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
I'm shocked that the course was so expensive to begin with. I haven't come across many employers who asked for certification, but I suppose it depends where you look.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
I'm shocked that the course was so expensive to begin with. I haven't come across many employers who asked for certification, but I suppose it depends where you look.
If you are hired or contracted to handle Linux servers an employer will look for Linux certification. Tech certification has become dodgy in my opinion. There are literally multiple, different certifications per individual operating system per certifier.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
I wish I had these opportunities when I was in college.