Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1652774 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #2595 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
Terrorist Text
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #2596 on: July 06, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2598 on: July 06, 2013, 08:21:18 pm »

The headphones strike me as somewhat of a race comment, because otherwise, why would he have them, and why those specific ones?
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
« Reply #2599 on: July 06, 2013, 09:32:21 pm »

As hated as Nixon is for his scandals, the only President since Nixon to not have any scandals is Jimmy Carter.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2600 on: July 06, 2013, 09:44:12 pm »

As hated as Nixon is for his scandals, the only President since Nixon to not have any scandals is Jimmy Carter.
I don't see scandals as a bad thing. I would in fact be more suspicious if a president was squeaky clean. The only time something looks perfectly clean is when you're putting on a show.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2601 on: July 06, 2013, 10:47:14 pm »

The words are okay, how Obama is drawn (with Beats by Dre) is not. Hrm... Can't win 'em all.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #2602 on: July 06, 2013, 11:10:58 pm »
I don't see scandals as a bad thing. I would in fact be more suspicious if a president was squeaky clean. The only time something looks perfectly clean is when you're putting on a show.

You're pretty wrong on that score. Jimmy Carter didn't have any scandals because he was just an honest guy who didn't try to game the system.

He was also a shitty politician who refused to play the game at all and consequently had a hard time getting anything done, but he's since devoted his life to humanitarian efforts here and abroad. Simply put, Carter is a great human being but a horrible leader.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2603 on: July 06, 2013, 11:19:34 pm »

You're pretty wrong on that score. Jimmy Carter didn't have any scandals because he was just an honest guy who didn't try to game the system.

He was also a shitty politician who refused to play the game at all and consequently had a hard time getting anything done, but he's since devoted his life to humanitarian efforts here and abroad. Simply put, Carter is a great human being but a horrible leader.
He was likely the exception to the rule, to be honest. However, literally any other politician, I would be really suspicious if they had no scandals. At least with JFK, we had enough scandals to make tons of books about, so we knew when he did something good, it wasn't made up, because he'd screw that up, too. I'd rather have scandals, because it shows me that our leader isn't perfect. If our leader looks perfect (and Carter did not, due to being bad at it), something's fishy.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2604 on: July 07, 2013, 12:14:05 am »
I would also rather have someone like Obama in office than some fundie lunatic!

About this whole surveillance scandal of doom. This might provide a different angle:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/06/have-we-all-been-fooled-by-edward-snowden/

Let's just say, Snowden is not "One Of Us". In fact, he sounds like a total Tea-brained asshat!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2605 on: July 07, 2013, 12:22:33 am »
it really doesnt matter we still shouldnt be having this type of data collection

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2606 on: July 07, 2013, 12:29:40 am »
it really doesnt matter we still shouldnt be having this type of data collection
I agree. While his politics may not match with ours, his actions are something we can celebrate. Basically, it doesn't matter why you do something, it matters that you did it. If a scientists cured cancer for the fame, power and money, I'd still support him, because he did a heroic act, even if it was for evil reasons.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2607 on: July 07, 2013, 12:48:09 am »
not the best analogy since I've seen many a sci fi distopya where someone invents a cure then enslaves us all

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2608 on: July 07, 2013, 01:08:27 am »
not the best analogy since I've seen many a sci fi distopya where someone invents a cure then enslaves us all
Enslaving people is an evil action, not an evil motive. If they invented it but got shot to death before getting to the enslaving, or even tried and were killed before they had a chance to do anything, I'd still respect them.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #2609 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:37 am »

Clinton's 'scandals' were hardly his fault, since they were either fabricated or trivial and irrelevant. This is reflected in his job approval rating. People don't like corruption, "scandals" are neither here nor there. Nixon was hated because he tried (and succeeded) at stealing an election, not because he was accused of stealing an election. This is something we'll see in the next few months with Obama, people with brains will gradually realise they've been sold a bridge by Republican politicians.

Carter was a pretty effective politician at the state level and in his first Presidential run. He dispatched Ford fairly comprehensively, in 1976. Ronald Reagan- or rather, the PR staff that invented Ronald Reagan- was actually losing to him for most of the 1980 election. It took some fairly substantial treason for the Republicans to win that election, repeating their efforts from 1968.

Of course, Carter was one of the most serious and effective policymakers of the century. He ended the Egypt-Israeli conflicts forever, started the beat-down of the Soviets in Afghanistan with none of the severe errors Reagan added to the program, he got the American embassy staff released in Iran, emphasised human rights in foreign policy- a major change in US foreign policy that would have made a significant difference had it not been immediately reversed- and how!- by Reagan. On the domestic front, too, he was quite an effective policy maker; he led the world's first serious response to the world's most important issue, climate change (again, immediately reversed). He's probably the best president of this half of the 20th century, maybe second behind LBJ. Compared with the prior and subsequent presidents, he looks like Lincoln.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR