Author Topic: Global warming to make miniatures  (Read 2759 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Global warming to make miniatures
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »
Paleontologist speculates: http://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/global-warming-could-give-rise-miniature-animals.html#mkcpgn=fbapl1

Climate scientists have painted a pretty grim outlook for our planet in the wake of an unabated release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere -- from rising sea levels and increasing weather disasters, to resource shortages and mass extinctions -- but there's one side effect of global warming sure to make you go 'aww'. According to paleontologists, an early species of horse was discovered to have responded to an extended bout of unusually hot temperatures million years ago in the most peculiar of ways: by going miniature. And given the steamy future which may be in store, it could happen again -- this time, to your quite-possibly-mini great-great-grandkids.

For 175 thousand years, due to a rise in global temperatures 58 million years ago known as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, one of the first equestrian species to gallop the planet underwent a dramatic change in size. During this period, a higher than normal levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide lead to hotter planet, and in response fossil evidence of shows that an early ancestor of the horse, Sifrhippus, shrunk to the size of a house cat. Other species, say researchers, even halved in size to accomodate the hot spell.

I guess that will be one interesting aspect of global warming. Still, there's gonna be many species driven to extinction, not to mention the economic and political consequences if we let these trends continue.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
Re: Global warming to make miniatures
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:11 pm »
@ Gyeonghwa: Too late to do anything about it.  We passed the tipping point long before the furor started.  All we can do now is hang on and try to enjoy the ride.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:20 am »
I must travel one million years into the future so that I may be king of the Lilliputians!
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41:43 am »
@ Gyeonghwa: Too late to do anything about it.  We passed the tipping point long before the furor started.  All we can do now is hang on and try to enjoy the ride.

I figured as much that we're already fucked but we need not add more to it. Like lets try and not become even more fucked.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:22:52 pm »
Ayup. Personally I'm only hoping that the worst of it hits some time after I'm dead.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »

I thought we weren't supposed to pass that point for another five years. Is there nothing that can be done to reverse the effects? How bad will it get and is it survivable? Are we far beyond fucked already and no one realizes? Fucking politicians that contributed to this problem need to be killed painfully.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:31:28 pm »
I wonder if we can, like, vacuum up some of the harmful gasses in our atmosphere...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:52 pm »

I figured as much that we're already fucked but we need not add more to it. Like lets try and not become even more fucked.

This! "Even more fucked" is a distinct possibility once tar sands and fracking (which I'm reliably informed is on the table for a location just 20 miles from here - waaay too close for comfort) start to get out of control.  :(

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »
But I want a tiny giraffe nooooow.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkB9OT2XVvA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkB9OT2XVvA</a>
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:08:57 pm »
Horses evolved to be smaller during this time of extreme greenhouse gasses, eh?  Is it bad that I immediately thought "So Equestria is Earth in the Future?"

Really, this is intriguing to hear, given that humans have gotten taller in the past couple hundred years, on average.  Could it be that the better farming techniques are overriding the resource competition that would be driving humans shorter if we had no such techniques?  If there's a major event that causes our infrastructure to crumble (and subsequently causing greater fighting for resources), will smaller humans become the "hot" thing for evolution to produce?
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:35 pm »
That would be difficult to say. One cannot say that condition x will make a species taller/shorter without considering that the species may respond to condition x completely differently.