Author Topic: Venus transit  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
Venus transit
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:14 pm »
Here are some photos I took of the Venus transit today (June 5, 2012.)  It was very overcast, but I managed to get some photos taken during a few brief holes in the clouds.  The first one is taken about 5 minutes after it began.  The second one is after 30 minutes or so.

This one was taken through the edge of the clouds.  I think it is quite beautiful.

The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Venus transit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
Tiny tiny tiny.  We're all so bloody tiny.
Great pictures, Star. :)

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27:48 pm »
Thanks, SpaceProg.  Yeah, this is a very good illustration of just how much larger the sun is than Earth since Venus is only slightly smaller than our planet.  We are miniscule, indeed.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:34:15 pm »
Very cool! 8)
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »
The sun is so huge, yet it looks so small from where we are when we look up without a telescope.   Why does the sun look so small here, when it should look huge since we're reasonably close and it's much much much larger than our moon?  Is it a refractive optical illusion of some sort?

I know a bit about space and it fascinates me, but oddly enough I don't know the answer to that question.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:03:18 pm »
I didn't even get to see it due to the shit weather here in NJ.   :(

The sun is so huge, yet it looks so small from where we are when we look up without a telescope.

Forgive me for being so pedantic, but the Sun is actually pretty small as far as stars go.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline SpaceProg

• The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:08 pm »
I'm talking compared to Earth. :P I was aware that it's pretty small as far as stars go. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:23:42 pm by SpaceProg »

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:48:54 pm »
I'm talking compared to Earth. :P I was aware that it's pretty small as far as stars go.

No, it's not an illusion.  We are relatively close to it when compared to the bulk of the solar system, but it is still 93 million miles away.  That is a rather huge distance.  It may not sound far, but consider that at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second, it takes the light from the sun over 8 minutes to reach us. 

The moon is much closer to us and averages around 275,000 miles away making the apparent size the same as the sun.  That's why a total solar eclipse is so spectacular. The moon completely covers the sun and creates the "ring of fire." 

The further out you go into the solar system, naturally the sun's apparent size starts getting quite small.  From the orbit of Neptune, it is only a bright dot against the backdrop of other Milky Way stars.