Author Topic: Possible shootout at MIT?  (Read 26710 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Possible shootout at MIT?
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »
I am aghast at how cavalier people are about the prospect that the guy will be interrogated under torture.

I'm against the use of torture on him, but I think I'm in the minority. (Not on here, in general) Torture is generally useless to get information and it absolutely pointless when using it to get a confession. I'd make an exception for when the torture isn't officially condoned, in a dire situation, and the information is very important right fucking now, like a nuke equivalent to the Tsar Bomba hidden in New York.

Even then, there's no guarantee that the torture will get what you want. Torture is notoriously problematic because people will say anything their captor wants to hear as long as it stops the pain. Even if you've got someone who legitimately knows where the aforementioned nuke is, there's nothing stopping him from giving a fake location to stop the torture and ensure that investigators still don't find the bomb.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »
According to Yahoo, he's awake now and is answering questions through writing.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:56 am »
Bet most of them are, "Are there more explosives out there?"

Ironbite-really the only question he should be asked right now.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2013, 01:42:45 pm »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324235304578437131250259170.html

Why did they do it? That's what everyone wants to know. Until "Jahar" recovers enough to really start writing, it's interesting to read what the family and friends are saying, to find out the details of the family's estrangement that their Uncle Tsarli intimated during his first statements to the press a few days ago. The above link is to a very interesting article in WSJ.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2013, 10:40:42 pm »
Trial in federal court for using a weapon of mass destruction is what got Timothy McVeigh the death penalty. Guantanomo, if it continues to be used, would be a hellish life sentence, for all practical purposes. Also, remember that Federal death row convicts don't wait very long to die; there is no backlog of such felons, and like McVeigh, if Tsaraev  is condemned, he'll be executed within a couple of years, at most.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2013, 01:09:12 am »
He'll more then likely get life in prison which means there's a nice federal Super Max prison situated in a blind canyon.

Ironbite-where if you escape, the guards look for the shriveled husk that used to be your body.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2013, 01:51:13 am »

Why did they do it? That's what everyone wants to know. Until "Jahar" recovers enough to really start writing, it's interesting to read what the family and friends are saying, to find out the details of the family's estrangement that their Uncle Tsarli intimated during his first statements to the press a few days ago. The above link is to a very interesting article in WSJ.

Looks like Mom inadvertently turned the boys to the Dark side. Big Brother was having issues & Mom caught the Quran-thumper bug, spreading it to him (who in turn spread it to kid brother). Mom & Dad's marriage went kerflooie due to Mom's (and eventually son's)  newfound fundieness. Shame, too. The son's seemed like mostly okay guys for the most part until they got crazy (though the big brother was a brash jerk who hit his girlfriend but little brother sounded like a carefree, sweet boy by most accounts. Fundie religion can sure poison the hell out of people).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:13:22 am by SpukiKitty »

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:48 am »

Looks like Mom inadvertently turned the boys to the Dark side. Big Brother was having issues & Mom caught the Quran-thumper bug, spreading it to him (who in turn spread it to kid brother). Mom & Dad's marriage went kerflooie due to Mom's (and eventually son's)  newfound fundieness. Shame, too. The son's seemed like mostly fun guys for the most part until they got crazy (though the big brother was a brash jerk who hit his girlfriend but little brother sounded like a carefree, sweet boy by most accounts. Fundie religion can sure poison the hell out of people).

It's seems like the new converts or the formally lapsed who rediscover their religion (like Christian Born Agains, but I don't know if there's a common term) tend to be the most aggressive and zealous.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #159 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:27 am »

Looks like Mom inadvertently turned the boys to the Dark side. Big Brother was having issues & Mom caught the Quran-thumper bug, spreading it to him (who in turn spread it to kid brother). Mom & Dad's marriage went kerflooie due to Mom's (and eventually son's)  newfound fundieness. Shame, too. The son's seemed like mostly fun guys for the most part until they got crazy (though the big brother was a brash jerk who hit his girlfriend but little brother sounded like a carefree, sweet boy by most accounts. Fundie religion can sure poison the hell out of people).

It's seems like the new converts or the formally lapsed who rediscover their religion (like Christian Born Agains, but I don't know if there's a common term) tend to be the most aggressive and zealous.

I agree. Heck I ALMOST pity the younger brother. Here's a cute young kid who seemed to be the nicer & happier of the two, with friends & everything. But he was one of those "follow big brother" types. Big brother seemed to be the one with the issues. Big brother's stupidity rubbed off on the younger guy. I'd like to think that he was simply a good kid who got brainwashed into pure evil. Of course, he could've had those tendencies from birth (sociopaths can appear as normal, happy people). That said, he's still a jerk & he's the one who placed the bomb by the 8 year old who died (there's a photo of this). The fact that a guy can place a bomb by a small boy obviously indicates that he has no soul (though he could've reasoned, if he cared, 'The little one will be with Allah', though I doubt it).

This whole mess in the family started because Mom decided to go Fundie & Big Brother was a violent douche to his girlfriend.

If Big Brother hadn't been abusive to his girlfriend, he wouldn't have had problems with becoming a U.S. citizen & an Olympic Kickboxer (a big dream of his).

If Mom didn't turn into The Mosque Lady ('Isn't that special'), she wouldn't have exploited Big Brother's personal foibles to convert him, thus turning him into "Mr. Jihad Guy" who spread it to his (by all accounts) otherwise nice, friendly, well-adjusted, outgoing, fully-assimilated Kid Brother (who looked up to Big Brother WAAAAAY too much). Mom & Pop's marriage wouldn't have gone down the tubes.

Big Brother quit kickboxing due to his becoming radicalized (Mom's fault) and because of the mess with immigration (his woman-beating fault). According to that pictorial about him as a kickboxer (taken a few years back), he stated that should he become an Olympian, he wanted to kickbox on behalf of the United States since, because Chechnya is part of Russia, he didn't want to represent Russia.

The best way to get rid of terrorism is to get it at the roots...Religious Fanaticism & Political Grievance. This stupidity easily spreads due to political grievances. Give the Chechen people independence! Israel must accept the Palestinians as their own & treat them as fellow citizens & equals (rename the country Israel-Palestine, Palestine-Israel or simply 'The Holyland')! Go to Afghanistan to do humanitarian things like build schools, fix roads & infrastructure, feed the hungry, help people...not the GI Joe routine (GI Joe can be on the perimeter to guard from Taliban but nothing more). And finally, Moderate/Sane Muslim Madrassas, teach the faith in a way that promotes peace & not terrorism, teach against Islamozealotry.

Do these few things & Islamozealot terrorism & ideas will be GREATLY reduced. Islam wasn't always this stupid. Heck, Muslim societies in the Middle Ages were some of the cleanest, most enlightened, most educated societies. Muslims developed Algebra & made many scientific breakthroughs.

The Abrahamic scriptures (The Tanackh, The Bible, The Quran) are such that The Regressive & Progressive can find something to follow. Folks should be taught how to interpret Progressively. If not, then it isn't for them.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:20 am »
It's really a shame that the older brother died, because he seemed to play a much larger role in this and should be here to face the consequences.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:46 am »
I feel sorry for their parents. These people are the equivalent of your neighbors down the street. Dad's an attorney, mom's got a degree, too. Dad steers his oldest son to boxing as an outlet for the big lug's aggressive tendencies; a logical, good-parenting move. But, the boy just gets cocky and disdainful and full of himself. Mom then tries to get him turned around from being a bully douchebag by leading him onto the narrow "good boy" path (as she envisioned the religious training), but true to his nature, Tamerlan focuses on the aggressive, stern and dominating aspects of the really dark fundie side of Islam. Go back to my "neighbors down the street" scenario, and replace orthodox Islam with evangelical Christianity. Now, watch the older son in this case also find the aggressive, domineering, stern Dominionist tenets to his liking, and he goes off looking at uber-radical dominionist shit and decides that bombing abortion clinics is his holy warrior dream...
Warrior fixation, a justification to do the violence he had a hankering for all along. Where did his love of aggression come from? Yeah, some people are just born more alpha. But I think he grew up seeing and hearing all the shit the Chechen people have dealt with trying for independence, and it made him angry. Then the terrorism acts got really frequent and horrible. Then the Russians fucked up bad in several hostage "rescues" (horrible consequences!), and cracked down even harder on Chechens. Look at how his dad got sacked for really no reason other than being Chechen! So, Tamerlan  had grown into one raging, seething ball of hatred just looking for a time and place to explode.....which ended up being Boston.

I think Tamerlan always dominated Dhurkhar as they grew up. Little brother is one fucked up piece of Tamerlan's work. In an alternate reality, Jahar would be just what he looks like; a nice, cute boy. As it is, he tore up his humanity membership card. He'll probably be condemned to death. That is actually a blessing in comparison to living the rest of his life - 50 to 60 years - in supermax solitary confinement.

• The Beast
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2013, 11:44:26 am »
It's really a shame that the older brother died, because he seemed to play a much larger role in this and should be here to face the consequences.
You mean consequences other than being shot full of holes? :)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »

Why did I look at the comments, which basically boils down to islamophobia and let's all hate liberals...though to be fair it is the WSJ, which is right leaning.

• The Beast
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2013, 12:12:30 pm »

Why did I look at the comments, which basically boils down to islamophobia and let's all hate liberals...though to be fair it is the WSJ, which is right leaning.
It's owned by Rupert Murdoch, of course it's a right-wing paper. And as I tell everyone, never read Web site comments, they're going to be depressingly bigoted and stupid without fail.