Author Topic: Utah and many other states to resurrect the firing squad  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
Utah and many other states to resurrect the firing squad
« on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:46 pm »
This hasn't been discussed as far as I can tell, so let's talk about the latest antics of the Regressive Party as opposed to ripping ourselves apart. As of today, you can be executed by firing squad in Utah if you commit a capital crime there.

Now, let's get to the mechanics behind a firing squad before we go to discuss the bill itself. A firing squad, or fusillading,  is a method of capital punishment that is fairly old as capital punishment goes (Saint Sebastian was executed by Roman Archers, Edmund the Martyr by my ancestors's archers). Occasionally , those doing the killing itself are given one live round with the rest being "conscience" blanks.

Normally, it's composed of LEOs or military officers as per it's origins. The accused is executed by his peers, making it a professional military man's punishment. Needless to say, those wacky Mormons would care to disagree.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/firing-squads-utah-house-vote

This is a result of drug shortages and problems with lethal injection, thus forcing the use of bullets. Lethal injection itself was meant to be more humane than a hanging, a misguided sentiment at best.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:12:28 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Utah and many other states to resurrect the firing squad
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »
Personally, I'm starting to think we should bring back the guillotine.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:31:00 pm »
Thoughts?

We need to join the civilized world and abolish capital punishment.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »
If you have to execute someone, I'd say this is the way to go. Put a bullet in their head and stop trying to argue the semantics of a "humane" execution. However, we really should just get rid of capital punishment altogether.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 03:35:29 pm »
We need to join the civilized world and abolish capital punishment.

However, we really should just get rid of capital punishment altogether.

Only people who hate America and freedom would argue that position. Why do you hate America and why are you anti-freedom?
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
Makes sense. if you aren't going to do the sensible thing and outlaw capital punishment, might as well skip the bullshit about making it "humane" and off the fuckers behind the shed with a rifle.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 04:07:51 pm »
I'd argue that, if we absolutely have to execute people (which we don't), a bullet to the head is the best way to do so. It's quick, it's cheap, and there's no posturing about if/how it's "humane" or "civilized".
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 04:12:03 pm »
For firing squads, it's actually one blank loaded in one of the rifles by the officer in charge. The squad do not know who has the blank (except I suppose lack of mass exiting means less kick-back, so he'd know after firing).
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
I agree that we should abolish capital punishment.

That being said, I don't think a single advance in its implementation has ever been made to make it more "humane" for the one being executed. It's always been to make it either more entertaining (in olden times) or less gruesome (in modern times) for the witnesses, or in the case of crucifixion and similar executions by torture, to flaunt the government's power. The gas chamber works best when the one being executed is told to "breath deeply", making it a form of forced suicide. Nobody really knows what victims of lethal injection went through before they died, aside from the high-profile cases we've had lately of its much-delayed confirmed effects. Even victims of a firing squad have no guarantees of dying quickly if the bullets miraculously miss their organs. The only advantage to it that I can think of is that it can be automated, reducing the number of human participants to an absolute minimum.

Personally? I think the most humane form of execution would be to put the person under sedation, with electrodes on their scalp to ensure read their brainwaves and ensure they're deeply asleep, then either use gas or use a machine to drain their blood. No participation on their part required and easier to make painless.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 05:48:14 pm »
Elephant-stomping is good, but I guess that would mean every state would have to have its own executioner elephant.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
Honestly... I'm okay with this.  I'm not fond of the death penalty, but I see it as a necessary evil, and truth be told, ammo's cheap.  Lethal injection chemicals ain't, or they're hard as fuck to come by.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 06:50:39 pm »
Honestly... I'm okay with this.  I'm not fond of the death penalty, but I see it as a necessary evil, and truth be told, ammo's cheap.  Lethal injection chemicals ain't, or they're hard as fuck to come by.

How is the death penalty a necessary evil? Plenty of nations do just fine without it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 01:03:46 am »
If it were me, I would only use it as a last resort. Even then, my own solution would be to have them look at the flowers while someone puts a bullet right behind the ear. Quick and humane.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 03:44:28 am »
Well, firing squad is more humane than some other forms of execution, though guillotine is still my favourite. It is a quick and reliable way to kill a person.

...But getting rid of the death penalty would be an even better solution.

Not because it would be inhumane or because I would oppose the right of a nation to kill a person when necessary, but I just don't trust the courts to be 100% certain that the acccused person is guilty and death penalty is a punishment that cannot be retroactively pardoned.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 04:18:35 am »
I am not even too fond of the whole bullet to the head option. We have these devices that are like guns that launch a large spike into mammalian livestock's heads when it is time to slaughter them. Its quick, efficient, as painless and humane as reasonable and it is reusable.

Bullets fired from guns are really too unpredictable, the most efficient would be something like a guillotine, but instead of severing the head from the body, it instead completely crushes the head. No chance of survival, and death is instantaneous. Bullets can do all sorts of things like passing straight through and doing minimal lethal damage, to bouncing off the skull and not directly damaging the brain. It does not happen often, but it can.

Of course, personally I believe a lot of problems in the world can be solved with the wholesale slaughter of significant portions of humanity. We really do need to cull the herd a bit. Unfortunately I would probably be one of those culled, so I cant really support it. In life there are many ugly truths, that go against our own self interest.