Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1653852 times)

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #3210 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:53 pm »
What does the window represent? Mexico? The Pacific? Am I reading too much into this? (yes)
North Korea.
I'm pretty sure that if there's one thing you could do to start a war with NK, it'd be to send Bieber there.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3211 on: January 25, 2014, 11:42:20 am »
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:15:58 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #3212 on: January 25, 2014, 03:02:37 pm »
I think the "message" is actually racist, as much as age-ist. And it is invalid to compare songs from disparate genres and eras.
I'm not sure where you are getting racism from.

Well Beyonce is black while Freddie Mercury is Indian but was often mistaken as white, so this might be implicating that Beyonce's song is... Dumber because she is black (and possibly others who worked on the song as well.)

Then again, I think it could be just another complaint about how "modern" music is stupid and simple. Which is blatantly false as there have been simple silly songs since the creation of music and you'd find similar examples of complexity and quality from any era and genre.

I would consider it a case of "too many cooks," myself.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3213 on: January 25, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

DAMN! Quit making Google+ an adorable little woobie creature that I want to huggle!

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3214 on: January 25, 2014, 07:31:36 pm »
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:27:02 pm by Random Guy »

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #3215 on: January 26, 2014, 01:36:35 am »
I Second that.

Back when I was a kid in 90s Ottawa normally the first snowfall would come before Halloween, and last well into April, and I can remember two seperate occasions when we got a bit of snow in early May.  Now we rarely see snow until around Christmas time, generally melts earlier too, and we get more warm spells of mid spring weather in January.

Yet people still make that joke every time we get a cold snap and I want to shake them and yell "Do you remember your childhood at all?"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3216 on: January 26, 2014, 01:40:11 am »
And so xkcd makes yet another great point.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3217 on: January 26, 2014, 06:19:01 am »
meanwhile, here I am with 4 inches of powder and 12.5 F...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

wrightway

« Reply #3218 on: January 26, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #3219 on: January 26, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »
Yeah, I'm fairly certain people hate Kanye because he's an egomaniacal douche, not because he's black. Also, Macklemore IS pretty groundbreaking in the mainstream because mainstream rap tends to be little more than brag tracks and party songs. Is he groundbreaking in general? No, but he's still more creative than most of the stuff that hits the mainstream.

Tupac, Biggie, Eminem (who makes the opposite of brag tracks because he's always said he just wants to be a rapper that that is all he is), Atmosphere (depending on how we define mainstream), Hollywood Undead (depending on how you feel about some of their harder hitting tracks and the fact they aren't 'pure' hip hop/rap)

Macklemore isn't groundbreaking in any way. He's just considered that cause he thought he was gay cause he could draw. And the insinuation that all modern rap is about 'fucking hoes' and 'getting da benjamins' is ignoring a good part of rap. And racist besides.

While Macklemore is getting credit, people like Azealia Banks are being blatantly ignored even though she's a bisexual female who raps better than Macklemore. And yes, I am aware of the slur controversy with Azealia but that isn't the point.

Because Lil Wayne totally didn't top the charts with a song that objectifies women and treats them like they exist entirely for his sexual conquest last year. Oh wait. Like I said, Macklemore on any level beyond the mainstream is nothing special. Entertaining, but nothing special. In the mainstream, he is about the only one who will actually stand up for gay rights.

I never said that all modern rap is idiotic, but the mainstream generally is. Tupac and Biggie haven't been mainstream for a long fucking time. Eminem and Macklemore tend to be exceptions, not the standard. As for Banks, Better artists being passed up for more marketable artists is nothing new. It doesn't excuse it, but it really just shows that the mainstream audience is looking for the flavor of the month, not any actual depth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:59:52 pm by Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3220 on: January 26, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #3221 on: January 27, 2014, 05:26:08 pm »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3222 on: January 27, 2014, 05:53:47 pm »
I hope not

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast