Author Topic: Bloomberg soda ban  (Read 27248 times)

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
Bloomberg soda ban
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »
Mayor Bloomberg vs. the Big Gulp

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has been on a years-long crusade against obesity, or at least against the cultural and commercial forces that promote it. In his latest step, he's proposing to ban the sale of super-sized sugary drinks by restaurants, cinemas, street vendors and stadium concessionaires. The move exemplifies the tension between individual liberty and societal responsibility that's particularly acute in the field of public health. Americans cherish their freedom to live as they choose, without "nanny state" dictates from the government. But because they're not willing to deny medical care to people who urgently need it, society has to pick up the tab for those who make heedless choices. Striking the right balance between the two will be one of the central challenges for government in the coming decades, as rising healthcare costs put an increasing strain on federal, state and local budgets.

Bloomberg is an idiot; can some throw this tiny man into a 16 once cup so we can see if he can swim?
Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
Re: Bloomberg soda ban
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:38:45 pm »
How about making healthy drinks cheaper and more accessible to the poor and working class?

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:57:25 pm »
How about making healthy drinks cheaper and more accessible to the poor and working class?

I could have sworn water was free at most restaurants.  Just need to make them free at places like Zoos and Theme parks though that would be nice.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:26:46 pm »

I could have sworn water was free at most restaurants.  Just need to make them free at places like Zoos and Theme parks though that would be nice.

Like this?:

"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:00:08 pm »

Like this?:

Ya normally at Zoos and theme parks those don't work or they have insanely low water pressure since of course they want you to buy their bottled water not drink from the water fountains...at least that's the case at my local zoo and theme park
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:51:50 pm »
I think it is stupid idea to ban soda, that being said my complaint is that fast food places make even the "small" sodas big. Most of the smalls are what I would call a medium. I would like to have another choice.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 12:26:19 am »
I'm sure glad I don't live in Bloomberg, or wherever~  Tai needs soda to live. =<

I think it is stupid idea to ban soda, that being said my complaint is that fast food places make even the "small" sodas big. Most of the smalls are what I would call a medium. I would like to have another choice.

"Hi. My name's Mitch. Can I take your orders? I mean, can you order? ...Let me start again. Hi, my name's Mitch. Can I have your order?"
"Yeah. Hello, Mitch. I'd like a small popcorn."
"We don't have small."
"Then give me a medium."
"We don't have medium."
"Well, what do you have?"
"We have large, chubby, and double super chubby!"
"Then isn't a large a small?"
"Uh... I'll have to ask my manager."
"...Fine. One large popcorn."
"Here you go. You want fries with that?"
"Why would I want fries with popcorn??"
"Uh... I'll have to ask my manager."
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 01:04:57 am »
What really kills me is that the proposed ban won't actually accomplish anything.  I can think of four reasons why.

1.  It only applies to the Five Boroughs of NYC, and nowhere else.
2.  A person could purchase his drinks at another store, or order more than one.
3.  Plenty of other things will make you fat too.
4.  An excise tax on sugary drinks would probably work somewhat better (unfortunately, the beverage industry and corn industry oppose such measures).
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 01:44:30 am »
Fuck you Bloomburg, I sell what I want.

Washington state had a tax on candy, junk food, and sugary drinks once, but it was inconsistently enforced. For one thing, Cheetos were considered junk food and were therefore taxed, but things like Kit Kats (which are obviously candy by every definition of the word) were not, because Kit Kats contain a wafer inside of them. There are just too many ways that big business lobbies can turn "health laws" into tools against their competition.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

QueenofHearts

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 04:21:07 am »
Washington state had a tax on candy, junk food, and sugary drinks once, but it was inconsistently enforced. For one thing, Cheetos were considered junk food and were therefore taxed, but things like Kit Kats (which are obviously candy by every definition of the word) were not, because Kit Kats contain a wafer inside of them. There are just too many ways that big business lobbies can turn "health laws" into tools against their competition.

Well the problem with this logic is that its a rather defeatist attitude to have. The idea to tax junk food was not the flaw of the bill, it was the bill's wording (to my knowledge as you described it). Taxes can be instituted on all junk foods and drinks without favoring one over the other, I mean the phrase "empty calories" seems like a good enough place to start. You could even get into laws that would tax foods if the vitamin/mineral to calorie ratio was too low which would amount to very little extra spending as the nutritional facts are generally printed on every candy bar to be sold.

And I say "eh" to the law. Something has to be done about America's obesity problem and its becoming apparent that people aren't going to make the right decisions tomorrow as long as the status quo remains in tact. I think taxes on such "empty calories" would be a better idea, but it wouldn't pass.

In part because of FPqxz's 4th point, but also America is in this juvenile stage where everything is some sleight against their liberties. Telling MacDonalds to offer apples is an attack on personal liberty. Having schools remove sugar cookies is a threat to our freedom. Removing trans fats (my favorite fats  ;)) scares the shit out of the Tea Party and Glenn Beck. If America was more reasonable, the junk food lobby could spend all they wanted to no avail. However, when this childish attitude permeates American culture, we're doing their job for them.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 05:27:55 am »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »
Yes, soda is bad for you.

No, we do not need the fucking Mayor of New York wasting everyone's time to whine about it.

Normally I have a conniption every time I hear the words "nanny state" but seriously, does this damnable city have nothing better to do with it's time?

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 03:22:49 pm »
Oh, yeah, this'll work.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 03:53:11 pm »
So sugary drinks are banned, huh?  What about cigerettes and alcohol?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 04:42:56 pm »
So sugary drinks are banned, huh?  What about cigerettes and alcohol?
Well, the tobacco companies are wealthy enough to support politicians, and don't forget what happened in the Great Depression after alcohol was banned.
What is, is not; what is not, is.