Author Topic: Bloomberg soda ban  (Read 27251 times)

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
Re: Bloomberg soda ban
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 02:39:43 am »
Or, here's a radical idea: why not get rid of the social stigmas instead of getting rid of the fat people? Eh? Eh?

Because first of all, obesity (as explained in several posts above) is a legitimate issue of personal health and public health, and not merely one of aesthetics.

Secondly, how exactly do you propose to eliminate such a social stigma?

Alls I know is, if anyone had tried to require a sport when I was in school, I would've dropped the fuck out, and that's not even an exaggeration.

I was never a big sports guy either, but that's rather tangential to the issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 02:42:42 am by Fpqxz »
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 03:12:47 am »
The government should not regulate personal responsibility.

Nobody not a paid Republican agent should use the words 'personal responsibility'* except to satire them, humiliate the Republican movement or in some other way reduce their effect. Your very sentence-structure is pro-GOP propaganda.

* 'Personal responsibility' means 'Good Thing, sometimes prevented by the existence of Government.' Also 'welfare' (meaning 'any money black people obtain, esp mothers'). Also Nanny state; 'Derogative term for any government, especially Democratic government'.

If you're not going to try to understand a post, don't bother commenting.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 04:06:07 am »

Nobody not a paid Republican agent should use the words 'personal responsibility'* except to satire them, humiliate the Republican movement or in some other way reduce their effect. Your very sentence-structure is pro-GOP propaganda.

* 'Personal responsibility' means 'Good Thing, sometimes prevented by the existence of Government.' Also 'welfare' (meaning 'any money black people obtain, esp mothers'). Also Nanny state; 'Derogative term for any government, especially Democratic government'.

I tried, but then I took an arrow to the knee my brain exploded from the stupid.

Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 04:11:23 am »
Make a direct argument or shut up. There's no need to cast aspersions. Simple as that.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 04:11:50 am »

I understand it (at least I think I do), it's just fucking ridiculous. I'm not sure if you realise, but we're not campaigning for the Democratic Party, we're discussing the merits of banning 16-oz soft drinks on an internet forum. Republican propaganda has sweet fuck all to do with anything at hand.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 04:16:45 am »

I understand it (at least I think I do), it's just fucking ridiculous. I'm not sure if you realise, but we're not campaigning for the Democratic Party, we're discussing the merits of banning 16-oz soft drinks on an internet forum. Republican propaganda has sweet fuck all to do with anything at hand.

If I used the words 'Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy' everyone would know I was using propaganda. 'Personal Responsibility' is more sophisticated propaganda. The words are used to win the argument without the merit of a rational case.

Note: no need to irrationally complain of Godwin, this is a perfectly legitimate example of, not comparison between, propaganda.

-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 04:22:19 am »
If I used the words 'Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy' everyone would know I was using propaganda. 'Personal Responsibility' is more sophisticated propaganda. The words are used to win the argument without the merit of a rational case.

Note: no need to irrationally complain of Godwin, this is a perfectly legitimate example of, not comparison between, propaganda.
If I see anyone turning Republican as a result of saying "personal responsibility" around here, then I may be inclined to take it seriously. Until then, I'm going to stick with my current view that you're getting sand in your vagina over nothing.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 04:24:43 am »

If I see anyone turning Republican as a result of saying "personal responsibility" around here, then I may be inclined to take it seriously. Until then, I'm going to stick with my current view that you're getting sand in your vagina over nothing.

Republicans literally win elections on this alone. Everyone hates their policy, everyone hates the people; it's just manipulation of public perception caused by sophisticated propaganda.

-FDR

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 04:25:38 am »

Except that personal responsibility is a valid concept, even if Republican shills have commandeered the phrase for their own bullshit. "Jewish-Bolshevik conspiracy", on the other hand, carries zero validity.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Art Vandelay

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 04:28:46 am »
Republicans literally win elections on this alone. Everyone hates their policy, everyone hates the people; it's just manipulation of public perception caused by sophisticated propaganda.
Like I said: Nobody around here is turning Republican, therefore not taking this seriously.

I ask again, what the fuck does Republican propaganda this have to do with banning 16-oz soft drinks?

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:33 am »
What's the alternative to personal responsibility? What does personal signify? What are you taking responsibility for? Is it your doing? You see the problem.

-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 04:38:06 am »
What's the alternative to personal responsibility? What does personal signify? What are you taking responsibility for? Is it your doing? You see the problem.
Good question Freddy. What would be a more Democrat-friendly way of saying it's the individual's job to regulate their own diets? How would you propose we discuss the matter of a 16-oz soft drink ban on the internet without misleading hoardes of helpless denizens to serve their evil Republican overlords and instead enlighten them in the progressive and forward-thinking ways of our benevolent Democratic masters?

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:07 am »
The whole "personal responsibility" meme can be considered propaganda insomuch as it is a subtle reference to right-wingers' belief in neoclassical economics and the assumed rationality of the individual decision-maker.  Having studied economics for 6 years, I have yet to be convinced that such an assumption is justified.

(And I won't even go into how the concept of "personal responsibility" is misapplied and abused in a fuckton of situations.)
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 05:21:25 am »
Yay! Substance!

First things first: personal pet peeve.

Democrat-friendly

The word is Democratic, always has been, ever since they were the Democratic-Republican Party. I've not idea why people started spelling it wrong, I assume Republican propaganda. That's certainly what Glenn Greenwald thinks. In any case, the party gets to decide what its name is, not anyone else.

Good question Freddy. What would be a more Democrat-friendly way of saying it's the individual's job to regulate their own diets?

Well, why are Americans overweight (or, indeed, Australians?). Why actually, not just a flip answer. Well, that's a structural cause; human nature doesn't change overnight. So, advertising, the rise of the fast food corporation and the rest. Obviously there's a role for individual choice, but it's only part of the explanation. People are encouraged- in some cases, coerced (through cheapness, more convenience)- to become overweight. Well, okay. We can blame people for accepting that, and we'll feel really good and the problem will be the same. Or we can do something about it.

But, to the Republican movement, that would be 'denying personal responsibility'. It's straight up bullshit; the denial of serious analysis. And you get the same shit on crime, or employment or poverty or whatever. We can't actually act to deal with serious social problems because 'personal responsibility'. Fuck the poor, essentially.

Also, often PR is used to blame people who are not responsible, like the unemployed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:24:51 am by Lt. Fred »

-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:58 am »
I assume Republican propaganda.
It's always Republican propaganda. That shit's an even better scapegoat then Muslims.
Well, why are Americans overweight (or, indeed, Australians?). Why actually, not just a flip answer. Well, that's a structural cause; human nature doesn't change overnight. So, advertising, the rise of the fast food corporation and the rest. Obviously there's a role for individual choice, but it's only part of the explanation. People are encouraged- in some cases, coerced (through cheapness, more convenience)- to become overweight. Well, okay. We can blame people for accepting that, and we'll feel really good and the problem will be the same. Or we can do something about it.
Now that's more like it. Actually justifying your views on the matter in a more meaningful way than just dismissing what others say out of hand because they're apparently using a buzzword that's used by people you don't much care for. Now if you'd just go more into what exactly "we can do about it" rather than this tangent about Republican politics, we'd be all set.