Author Topic: The DOMA/Prop-8 Decision  (Read 12282 times)

Offline Lachrymose

• Neonate
Re: The DOMA/Prop-8 Decision
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2013, 10:27:10 am »
"It was never about love and marriage. It is about the destruction of Christianity."

lol

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?187252-DOMA-has-been-defeated&p=2400959#post2400959

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »
"It was never about love and marriage. It is about the destruction of Christianity."

lol

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php?187252-DOMA-has-been-defeated&p=2400959#post2400959
"It seems to me that we are far beyond what Sodom and Gommorah ever were!"

Sodom and Gommorah must have been pretty tame places.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »

lol

Besides, Sodom and Gommorah did other reprehensible things. For instance, in keeping with the teachings of Ayn Rand, they prohibited charity.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »

lol

Besides, Sodom and Gommorah did other reprehensible things. For instance, in keeping with the teachings of Ayn Rand, they prohibited charity.

I will never understand Christians who support Free-market Capitalism. Let alone the quote "It is easier for a camel to enter the eye of an needle than it is a rich man* to enter Heaven."

*Includes Pat Robertson, the richest Evangelical Christian in the world and a staunch supporter of Free-market Capitalism who also provided almost nothing to charity and owns a gold mine in an African nation.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2013, 04:44:49 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/proposition-8-supreme-court_n_3522957.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D338238

Apparently, even though conservatives lost and have absolutely ZERO valid arguments in favor of Prop 8, they're still fighting to keep it and DOMA.  The Supreme Court seems to be humoring them.

I never realized, "ew, it's icky!" was a valid argument.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 08:01:25 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/proposition-8-supreme-court_n_3522957.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D338238

Apparently, even though conservatives lost and have absolutely ZERO valid arguments in favor of Prop 8, they're still fighting to keep it and DOMA.  The Supreme Court seems to be humoring them.

You've never been to grade school, have you?

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2013, 10:24:55 am »

I heard inklings of that but I thought it was just them bitching. Am I the only one that kinda hopes the Supremes allow the re-hearing? So they're all "okay, we'll grant you standing, now let's decide this one on the merits....oh, look at that, marriage equality is legal across the land!"

"We didn't want that when we asked you for the retrial" "we know you didn't...woopsie"
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2013, 01:37:21 pm »

I heard inklings of that but I thought it was just them bitching. Am I the only one that kinda hopes the Supremes allow the re-hearing? So they're all "okay, we'll grant you standing, now let's decide this one on the merits....oh, look at that, marriage equality is legal across the land!"

"We didn't want that when we asked you for the retrial" "we know you didn't...woopsie"

It's a nice thought, Itachi, but with Scalia on the court, he'd sooner commit political suicide than side with Kagan or Sotomayor.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2013, 01:57:26 pm »
According to a new article I saw earlier, Kennedy refused to stop the marriages.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2013, 02:27:46 pm »

It's a nice thought, Itachi, but with Scalia on the court, he'd sooner commit political suicide than side with Kagan or Sotomayor.

He sided with Kagan when both joined Roberts' opinion to deny standing in Perry.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2013, 07:57:22 pm »
So having read through the Windsor and Perry decisions, I'm left with one impression:

Scalia is right on the following point:

Kennedy is chomping at the bit to say, essentially, this: "Fuck y'all, same-sex marriage is legal, SO SAITH JUSTICE ANTHONY KENNEDYTHE SUPREME COURT." Whatever his assurances in Lawrence and Windsor that his reasoning there wouldn't apply to such a case (though he did use Lawrence in Windsor), I have a very strong inclination that when that case (brought by someone whom everyone can agree has standing) comes before the Court, his decision will a) depend on Lawrence and Windsor and b) boil down to the above.

I'm not entirely sure I like that.
I do. Democracy only works when those with power are not douchewagons. Those with power are douchewagons. Therefore, democracy cannot work here.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
Those people want everything to go their way. And when it doesn't go their way, they would do something to make it their way until it finally happens. It's like taking all the ice cream and never giving any of it to anyone else and bitching and going apeshit when they do get "your" ice cream, then later, you hog the damn machine again when they're not there (possibly because you've done away with that person).

And then there's losing for good. God forbid the privileged one be a loser once. They'll claim it's the end of the world and other shit if that happens.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:05:49 pm by Alehksu Kihdo »