Author Topic: Raped teenager commits suicide after rapist only gets 31 days jail  (Read 14010 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Raped teenager commits suicide after rapist only gets 31 days jail
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2013, 12:26:31 am »
Well, all I see is Sigma defending a rape apologist.

Nobody is defending anybody. The forum administrator is enforcing the forum rules.
It's been made clear that if a troll is fun, the rules can be bent to keep them around for laughs. Therefore, logically, if the rules can be bent for fun, they can be bent for pissing off a rape apologist.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2013, 12:30:53 am »

Nobody is defending anybody. The forum administrator is enforcing the forum rules.
It's been made clear that if a troll is fun, the rules can be bent to keep them around for laughs. Therefore, logically, if the rules can be bent for fun, they can be bent for pissing off a rape apologist.

Trolls, from what I've noticed, are typically not posting things that fall under the "Serious Stuff" category in the rules.

Edited to add the best statement on following forum rules I have ever read (and which I have posted here before, when this same issue came up):

This board has certain rules. By forming an account here, you are agreeing to these rules and terms. Attempts to violate these rules, no matter what cloak of free speech and liberalism one attaches to it, is disrespectful, rude, foolish, and must not be tolerated. I do not agree with every rule on this board, but I follow it. That's because I'm an adult. If there's something you don't agree with or a rule you don't wish to follow, do it in literally the 99% of other venues that allow you do it online.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:36:16 am by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2013, 12:44:04 am »

Messing with a troll on the forum is not the same as using the forum to harass someone in real life (no matter how much they deserve it).
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2013, 12:48:55 am »
If we saw someone spreading the contact information for, say, a doctor who performs abortion on a pro-life forum, we'd call them complete assholes undeserving of sympathy.

Even if this guy is a first class asshole, that doesn't mean we need to sink to that level.

On a more practical note, if Sigma left the number up on the forum, it's possible he could be taken the court over the ensuing harassment as an accessory.  I wouldn't want to risk that either.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Art Vandelay

« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 12:49:46 am »

Messing with a troll on the forum is not the same as using the forum to harass someone in real life (no matter how much they deserve it).

That, and should anything illegal come of it, it can land the boards in general as well as Sigma himself in rather hot water. Bother the idiot on your own time if you must, but don't try to involve the rest of the forum.

Jack Mann beat me to it, it would seem.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 01:01:29 am »
I'm still not seeing any rule that was broken, except for frequent citations to the incorrect statement that private, personal information was posted.

If we saw someone spreading the contact information for, say, a doctor who performs abortion on a pro-life forum, we'd call them complete assholes undeserving of sympathy.

If the contact information was public, for use as a public service--IE the number for the clinic rather than his home number--then no, I wouldn't. And even if I did, it wouldn't be for posting the number. Thanks for trying, but I think it would be best if I spoke for myself from now on.

That, and should anything illegal come of it, it can land the boards in general as well as Sigma himself in rather hot water.

I think this kind of reasoning is rather sad. If we're that paranoid, then why don't we stop openly criticizing people at all? At any moment, someone could be "inspired" to cross the line into illegal, harassing behavior.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:49 am »
Exactly. It's public information. Spreading public information is not a crime.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 01:09:27 am »
I will say, I don't think that "defending a rape apologist" was very fair. It is technically true, but I don't believe Sigma fits the spirit of the phrase.

wrightway

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2013, 01:30:20 am »

So much this. Can we give the poor guy at least six months before we have a lynch mob ready to chase yet another admin screaming into the night?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2013, 01:32:30 am »

Doesn't matter. Even if you're innocent, the costs of fighting a lawsuit in court can ruin you. Better to avoid the possibility.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2013, 04:06:22 am »

Irrelevant.  Doxxing is doxxing, harassment is harassment, and if it were a pro-choice doctor's office information being posted on a pro-life website with the phrase "you know what to do", you would be calling it out, so don't fucking start with me you hypocrite, because you people are reminding me of the fucking far-right with how bloodthirsty you get.

Believe it or not, people are expected to have standards and act like adults.  Two wrongs do not make a right, no matter how much you whine about "justice".
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2013, 04:26:23 am »
Doxxing is doxxing, harassment is harassment

I have not seen a single definition of doxxing that includes a public official's office contact number. The harassment claim is also dubious. You'd have a better case that we "cyber harass" Vox Day, or Cathy Brennan.

As someone said on HRG, would it be doxxing if we posted the number for the white house?

And the lawsuit reasoning is really hard to swallow, especially when you consider that this guy is already being reamed for his comments. You really think he's going to single out & sue every single group mentioned by an angry protestor calling him on his shit?

Edit: Also, I'm interested in hearing what Sigma has to say, but until then, if people are going to keep baselessly asserting that someone was doxxed, I'm going to keep saying that they are wrong.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:31:48 am by Lithp »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:44 am »
Let's say an exception is made this time.

Nothing comes of it.

Next time this comes up, the case is made that it's not much different than this, and an exception is made again.

Repeat, and repeat, and repeat.

Eventually the range of allowed exceptions to the rule is broad enough that the rule might as well not be there, and then someone's personal information is posted, and that person does sue.

Better to keep a blanket ban.

(Incidentally, the last time this came up was over an address from a URL ownership report being posted.)

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2013, 05:19:58 am »
That's the slippery slope argument! And there's no exception because there was no doxxing. By your logic, we shouldn't be able to mention the existence of people outside of the forum, because "something might come of it," whatever that means.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:47 am »
Exactly. I don't like doxxing. I don't remember what thread, but there was a real example of doxxing, where someone's entire internet life was stalked down, including their mother, and that was disgusting. This is not doxxing. In fact, I can 100% prove to you this isn't illegal and Sigma CANNOT be sued. How? Change.org exists. They use the same information to send petitions all the time.

Irrelevant.  Doxxing is doxxing, harassment is harassment, and if it were a pro-choice doctor's office information being posted on a pro-life website with the phrase "you know what to do", you would be calling it out, so don't fucking start with me you hypocrite, because you people are reminding me of the fucking far-right with how bloodthirsty you get.

Believe it or not, people are expected to have standards and act like adults.  Two wrongs do not make a right, no matter how much you whine about "justice".
This isn't two wrongs. This is non-violent protest. You're starting to remind me of the far-right when you call non-violent protest a wrong. That sounds like the kind of thing they would say: that we can't protest due to some sort of stability of the state bullshit.