Author Topic: Orson Scott Card requests tolerance for his intolerance  (Read 4904 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Orson Scott Card requests tolerance for his intolerance
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:16 am »
I wont be paying money to see Enders game. Card makes money on the profits and he'll likely give some of that to groups that help make people like me dead.
This.

Offline Diamandahagan

• Apprentice
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 11:12:56 pm »
ON THAT NOTE!  Here's the Nostalgia Chick on why she won't be boycotting this movie and why you shouldn't either.

http://chezapocalypse.com/why-i-wont-boycott-enders-game/

Ironbite-I found it very....agreeable.

Suffice to say I disagree.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
I already figured you'd disagree.

Ironbite-but I can't say I'm gonna be seeing this movie anyways but I do agree with Lindsey.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 03:56:39 pm »
I already figured you'd disagree.

Ironbite-but I can't say I'm gonna be seeing this movie anyways but I do agree with Lindsey.

Her point about trying to support the people other than Orson Scott Card involved in the film is true. But it doesn't negate the fact that by contributing money to one of his properties, you're contributing money to a man that continues to perpetuate discrimination. Also, her quote about how Ender's Game bombing suddenly making executives cancel all book adaptations and original content is utterly ridiculous: it ends up implying that Ender's Game is the only film that matters, rather than the many other successful and very recent book adaptations (like The Hunger Games, to say nothing of the entire Harry Potter series). It's a lot of doom and gloom for creativity that doesn't actually match up with reality.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 01:16:12 am »
Yeah book adaptations have been around since the dawn of cinema and will always be around.  Hell wizard of oz  and gone with the wind were books.  Also it would depend a lot on his payment structure.  If he got a check already and no royalties then yeah but if he gets a portion of the gross.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 05:03:17 am »
He's a producer.  He gets a cut no matter what.

Ironbite-and that's just terrible.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 05:18:03 am »
I dont think i would ever boycott things just because thr creator is a douche. Too lazy to give two shits. But then i pirate everything so pfft
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 05:30:25 pm »
I meant as producer does he get a % of the ticket sales or did he already make all the money he could possibly make from this

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 09:41:48 pm »
You know, I may hate Orson Scott Card with every fiber of my being, but I saw the trailer for Ender's Game when we went to see Pacific Rim earlier today... and damn if it didn't look really, REALLY good.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."