Author Topic: New hominid from South Africa  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
New hominid from South Africa
« on: September 10, 2015, 06:36:16 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-34192447

Remains of 15 partial skeletons of a new hominid species, Homo naledi, were just described from a cave system in South Africa. This species is similar to Homo sapiens in a number of ways (especially the small teeth which are very humanlike), but many details of the arms, shoulders, and hips, the small braincase (about the size of a gorilla's), and pronounced brow ridge indicate it was more primitive, a potential link between the australopithecines and the genus Homo. These were definitely fully bipedal as well.

The site has not been narrowed down very well with regards to a date, which is the most important part in my opinion, but reportedly it could be up to 3 million years old, or slightly younger than Australopithecus afarensis.

Also intriguing is that the remains may have been deliberately placed in the cave, which the researchers cite as evidence of possible "ritual behavior."

It's good that we've got this many remains of the new species, and it could shed a lot of light on the origins of the genus Homo. Between these, Ardipithecus, and Australopithecus afarensis, the picture is really starting to fill in.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: New hominid from South Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 07:24:01 pm »
But please, creationists, remind me again how there's no transitional species.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:01:40 am »
I thought every species was a transitional species... since things are always changing, adapting, and evolving.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 09:46:21 am »
I thought every species was a transitional species... since things are always changing, adapting, and evolving.

Well, except for fundies.

Anyway, it looks like there could be dozens and dozens of individual Homo Naledi in that cave, so at last an early ancestor species will be very thoroughly and easily studied in great detail.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:19:41 am »

Well, except for fundies.

Anyway, it looks like there could be dozens and dozens of individual Homo Naledi in that cave, so at last an early ancestor species will be very thoroughly and easily studied in great detail.

A veritable treasure trove for paleontologists.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »
For mankind in general, UP.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:29:40 pm »
This is so exciting!  I can't wait to hear what else scientists discover about this species--was it one of our ancestors or an evolutionary dead-end?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:15:11 pm »
Definitely a human ancestor.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.