Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1519270 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2820 on: July 14, 2013, 12:13:04 am »
All I've bought this week is B17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th on GOG. As it turns out, that game really does not work too well with a mouse and keyboard. Especially not with a keyboard that doesn't have a numeric keypad. Ah well, live and learn I suppose.

Yeah, it's hard as hell. Even if you've got a stick, though, you'll be spending most of your time at the keys.

I can deal with it being hard, but I believe the simple fact that you can't look around the cockpit completely ruins the game. You've just got a fixed view out the window and more often than not you can't see a damn thing unless the plane is pointed at the ground. Normally that would be manageable, since you could still fly with the instruments, but you can't see the instruments unless you switch to a whole separate screen, during which time the AI takes control of the plane. Not to mention, I've no idea what the hell is going on with the physics.

I know it's more a crew management sim than a flight sim, but that's inexcusable.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2821 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:03 am »
I got the gold upgrade tomb raider legends and ys but truthfully this sale has been underwheling. 

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #2822 on: July 14, 2013, 12:37:04 am »
I got the gold upgrade tomb raider legends and ys but truthfully this sale has been underwheling. 

Still a lot of days left in it. Only thing I've picked up so far is Borderlands 2 and most of its DLC.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2823 on: July 14, 2013, 01:41:03 am »
I do recommend tomb raider athoguh the multiplayer is throwaways
Played a match today and they made the bow worthless.  It makes sense but still

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #2824 on: July 14, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
I've only bought the Borderlands 2 Season Pass, since it was less than the 3 pieces of DLC i hadn't already bought. Wasn't interested in all of them, only Tiny Tina's one, but meh it wasn't much more than that one alone.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #2825 on: July 14, 2013, 02:09:54 pm »
So who else has hit the Steam sale? So far, I've picked up Civ V with all the DLC and will snag Heroes of Might and Magic VI (with all the expansions) sometime in the next 24 hours. My wife got Bioshock Infinite.

Though it was a different sale, I got Borderlands 2 and the season pass for $13.50. I already had the Xbox version and one expansion, but grabbed that deal since it was far cheaper than two of the three expansions and two characters I didn't have. The only things I've gotten from the Steam sale itself are the two characters that the season pass didn't come with.
Who needs a signature?

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2826 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:54 pm »
Just found out that FO3 and FO:NV are on sale (with all DLC) for $5 each. I have both on 360 (and have all the achievements in FO3), but it would be nice to play with mods.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2827 on: July 14, 2013, 05:44:57 pm »
Just found out that FO3 and FO:NV are on sale (with all DLC) for $5 each. I have both on 360 (and have all the achievements in FO3), but it would be nice to play with mods.

Trust me, take the opportunity. I had New Vegas on my PC for a time with all the DLC (bought it on 360 as well), and while I had to drop it because it didn't run well enough all the time to justify it taking up so much space, the mods totally changed the experience. I had several large quest lines added, a ton of weapons, armor, and items, an extremely in-depth needs mod (which actually tracks things like malnourishment due to lack of protein or vitamins/minerals, water poisoning, and the faster dehydration due to large consumption of fluids leading to excess urination), a ton of new handloading recipes for my guns, a lot of workbench recipes for making just about any item in the game (with added resources like steel, brass, ceramics, and electronics available for a more in depth crafting and deconstructing system)....

Basically, I turned the game on its head and made it into something far larger than its creators ever could have done.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:40:17 pm by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2828 on: July 14, 2013, 06:51:49 pm »
I picked up the complete version of GTA IV. I have the original game on the 360, but never got the expansions. Want to play through it again in preparation for V and try out the mods. Also got Fallout: New Vegas and the Witcher 1 & 2. Not bad for $25.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Crystal-King

• Neonate
« Reply #2829 on: July 14, 2013, 08:39:57 pm »
Grabbed Strike Suit Zero for five bucks off of Steam. Most fun I've had getting my ass repeatedly kicked in a long time.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2830 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:19 am »
Finished Gothic. Good game, if a tad rough around the edges. In fact, I had to use the console to give myself a key item since a bug locked me out of the area where I'm meant to get it. Also not a fan of the fact that ranged combat gets progressively more useless as the game progresses. In fact, the latter half of the game in general is rather dull. In fact, the only sidequest is a fetch quest where the reward is a fight with a horde of skeletons. Still a decent low budget RPG, all things considered.

Still, this has inspired me to replay Gothic 2 now. It's a much better game than its prequel in almost every way.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2831 on: July 15, 2013, 02:07:58 pm »
So I have a question. Is this trading card thing a permanent steam feature? It seems to be from what I read but idk.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #2832 on: July 15, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »
Picked up Star Wars:KotOR 1 and 2 and Dishonored.

Damn, if I save much more money I'm gonna be broke.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2833 on: July 15, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »
I got KotOR II so I can finally see what the game is supposed to be like.

My wife wants to get Dishonored.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
« Reply #2834 on: July 15, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »
I got KotOR II so I can finally see what the game is supposed to be like.

My wife wants to get Dishonored.

She should definitely get it! Being the nerd I am, I pre-ordered it, and it was one of the best purchases I made all year. The gameplay is smooth and easy to get a feel for, and there are so many ways to reach your objectives in the missions. But more than anything, I loved the atmosphere of the game. In some levels, the grittiness was hiding just beneath the surface, but in others the gloom was in your face and you can't help but feel like you're right in the level. It was an amazing game, definitely worthy of all the praise it got.