Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1515844 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4200 on: February 01, 2014, 12:11:58 pm »
The good news is that the Capital Wasteland chapter is doing very well.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4201 on: February 01, 2014, 05:34:18 pm »
The Minecraft server on which I play moved packs a while back, to one that's hosted on the...ugh, Technic platform.  Sorry, but after their rather, shall we say...shady practices in the past, I'm none to fond of the Technic team.  Its why I moved to Feed the Beast in the first place.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #4202 on: February 01, 2014, 06:34:22 pm »
The Minecraft server on which I play moved packs a while back, to one that's hosted on the...ugh, Technic platform.  Sorry, but after their rather, shall we say...shady practices in the past, I'm none to fond of the Technic team.  Its why I moved to Feed the Beast in the first place.

What sort of shady practices?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4203 on: February 01, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »

Like using mods without even bothering to ask the authors' permissions.  There was also a huge beef between them and SirSengir, author of the Forestry mod, where the Technic team refused to remove Forestry after Sengir had asked them to do so...politely, too, if memory serves.  Granted, this was back when vanilla was at release 1.2, but its still kinda fucked up.  If I remember correctly, the Technic pack itself (for which the launcher, er sorry, "platform," got its name) was originally created by a team of g00ns.  Just...too many bad things, ya know?  Besides, their launcher is poorly-designed, anyway; too focused on being pretty and not focused enough on being intuitive and user friendly.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4204 on: February 01, 2014, 08:30:33 pm »

The Capital Wasteland chapter realized pretty quickly that if they just run around grabbing up technology and not sharing with the locals, locals that can be trade partners and bring in things like food and water, things can get pretty crappy pretty quickly.  It's something Veronica realizes as she travels with you.  The Brotherhood must evolve if it's going to survive and the fact that the West Coast won't/can't and instead is splintering is just crazy.  Part of why I like the NCR ending for Brotherhood.  They get a chance to make peace with their long time enemies and get all the technology they want from the NCR.

Ironbite-Just wish they'd realize that Veronica is right.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4205 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »
I also like how the NCR was able to help the Kings

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4206 on: February 03, 2014, 10:29:38 pm »
Got Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z today!  Its...pretty god damned difficult, at times.  The big fight against Perfect Cell turned into "that one mission," where I had to have played thru at least a dozen times before actually managing to freaking beat it.  I do love how much of a massive clusterfuck some of the fights are, but I do have oneeeeeee little nitpick: BROLY IS A GOD DAMNED MONSTER ALL ON HIS OWN, HE DOESN'T NEED BACKUP, LEAST OF ALL FROM A NEVER-ENDING SUPPLY OF MOTHERFUCKING SIABAMEN!  No, I still haven't gotten Broly, and that's fucked.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4207 on: February 04, 2014, 12:00:35 am »
So once I finish up Fallout I'm going to be moving on to the Saints Row series starting with 2.  Then it'll be time for a massively long, massively immerseive, massively modded play through of Skyrim.

Ironbite-with a few mods that'll make the game a tad bit...well the land will be trying to kill me.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4208 on: February 04, 2014, 12:39:25 am »
Got Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z today!

Fun fact: I keep reading the box as "Dragon Ball zZ: Battle of"

That is a weird place to put the second Z.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4209 on: February 04, 2014, 05:16:12 pm »

Yeah, the title could've used a bit of work, but the game itself is solid.  Intense as all fucking hell, but solid.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4210 on: February 04, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »

Yeah, the title could've used a bit of work, but the game itself is solid.  Intense as all fucking hell, but solid.

VERY glad to hear.

I love it every time a licensed game is actually good.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4211 on: February 05, 2014, 01:45:11 am »

The Capital Wasteland chapter realized pretty quickly that if they just run around grabbing up technology and not sharing with the locals, locals that can be trade partners and bring in things like food and water, things can get pretty crappy pretty quickly.  It's something Veronica realizes as she travels with you.  The Brotherhood must evolve if it's going to survive and the fact that the West Coast won't/can't and instead is splintering is just crazy.  Part of why I like the NCR ending for Brotherhood.  They get a chance to make peace with their long time enemies and get all the technology they want from the NCR.

Ironbite-Just wish they'd realize that Veronica is right.

Another factor was supposed to be making the situtation worse. Stealth Boys inducing paranoid schizophrenia in hardline members of the BoS. The Circle of Steel in Van Buren was to be an example. Both concepts were recycled in New Vegas: the Circle of Steel was internal affairs, stealth boys give supernatants schizophrenia and eventually turn them blue (see also nightkin).

Hilariously enough the Capital Wasteland Chapter may be the only remaining major BoS power. All other fragmented and/or isolated themselves to death. I am not sure if the Midwest Brotherhood and Texas Brotherhood are cannon because no one wants to mention or remember Fallout Tactics or Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

Like using mods without even bothering to ask the authors' permissions.  There was also a huge beef between them and SirSengir, author of the Forestry mod, where the Technic team refused to remove Forestry after Sengir had asked them to do so...politely, too, if memory serves.  Granted, this was back when vanilla was at release 1.2, but its still kinda fucked up.  If I remember correctly, the Technic pack itself (for which the launcher, er sorry, "platform," got its name) was originally created by a team of g00ns.  Just...too many bad things, ya know?  Besides, their launcher is poorly-designed, anyway; too focused on being pretty and not focused enough on being intuitive and user friendly.

LOL even the DNS Techpack team managed to bury the hatchet when it came to mod inclusion. I remember the beef between Technic and DNS. Of course that was way back when Equilivant Exchange 2 was considered to be good. A pity DNS sold out to ATLauncher.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 02:05:47 am by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4212 on: February 05, 2014, 09:28:12 am »
@TIM: Of all the non-vanilla launchers for Minecraft I've used, the only two I'd consider truly "professional" would be MultiMC and Feed The Beast.  No unimportant visual fluff where it didn't belong.  Simple, easy-to-understand UI, and logs that were (at least for FTB, dunno if it was so for MultiMC) on by default.  I like logs for things like that, it lets me know just what's going on, and many times, just what's going wrong.

@Zack: Aye, a fair example of a bad Dragon Ball game would be Battle of Z's predecessor, Ultimate Tenkaichi.  The latter played more like Dance Dance Revolution than an actual fighting game, much less feeling like Dragon Ball Z.  Make no mistakes, Battle of Z is hard.  It is fucking insanely hard, at certain points.  However, its not hard because of shitty controls or the computer being completely unfair, its legitimately challenging and for that, I love it.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4213 on: February 06, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »
Just got a beta key of Elder Scrolls Online. I have to admit watching some footage of the game on YouTube it looks quite good, but I can't play the beta yet until I upgrade my computer soon-ish.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4214 on: February 06, 2014, 10:26:16 pm »
I'm doing yet another playthrough of Mass Effect 2... At least I will be, once I choose my effin' class. I'm a decent Soldier and a damn good Vanguard, but I want something different this time round. Wat do?

Edit: Never mind, I'm an Infiltrator.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:33:53 pm by SmokingDodongo »
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!