Author Topic: Economist Report: "We're in deep ****!"  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Economist Report: "We're in deep ****!"
« on: February 11, 2013, 04:50:48 am »
http://moneymorning.com/ob/economist-richard-duncan-civilization-may-not-survive-death-spiral-3/

Long story short, we could be entering a drop that we won't recover from.  Now I got a B in Economics, and only because my professor felt I didn't deserve a C, so how much of this do you think is true and do you think we could possibly recover?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Distind

Re: Economist Report: "We're in deep ****!"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:39:09 am »
I think the economist sells more copies when it's screaming we're all going to die.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:40:09 am »
Is it correct? Well, yes and no. It is certainly true that peak energy and environmental limits and degradation (most notably climate change) will completely fuck over the economy and human civilisation in general if they're not addressed. However, don't trust any of the finer details in that article and video. As it turns out, it's one of those "buy our book and invest in what we tell you to invest in, and you'll totally make money from the collapse of the entire global economy" dealies.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:44:13 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:55:04 am »
As it turns out, it's one of those "buy our book and invest in what we tell you to invest in, and you'll totally make money from the collapse of the entire global economy" dealies.

That was the feeling I got from the whole article.
I do agree that the current status quot cannot be maintained and unless it gets addressed it will inevitably end in heads rolling quite literally. Unfortunately the article was horribly vague in specifics about this collapse and reeked heavily of buy our stuff because the world is ending.

Given how anal retentive economists are about details, I don't trust any economic article not jam packed with facts figures and numbers about everything.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:39:42 pm »
I missed the, "Buy my book," part.  Yeah, that pretty much is like saying, "BULLSHIT!" in big bright letters.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:04:38 pm »
Yeah, I'm glad you brought this to our attention, Vypernight.  I thought this article was quite alarmist.  I like how they use an argument from authority and the idea that it's not limited to the economy to lend themselves credibility.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »
This analysis has been around for a couple of years now.  And, yes, it's a commercial.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.