Author Topic: Smites  (Read 19503 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
Re: Smites
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 04:31:29 pm »
Quite honestly, I feel that the exalt/smite system is another form of a popularity contest with the most well loved and known posters having a higher counter than those that are "less popular" and like others have said it seems to be a bit egotistical and narcissistic in general.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 04:59:21 pm »
The way I see it, if there's drama centred around smites, the smites aren't the problem. They're merely a symptom of the fact that we've a number of passive-agressive dumbfucks in our midst. Getting rid of smites will do all of jack shit to address the real issue at hand.

Imma marry this post and have its babies. The smites are like coughing, and getting rid of it is just like taking cough syrup. Except you still have bronchitis after you take the cough syrup, it's just not as obvious.

We're a public forum open to anyone who has a computer. Unless you guys can find a cure for human nature, I think we're going to have to go with the symptom-managing approach here.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 05:19:32 pm »
The way I see it, if there's drama centred around smites, the smites aren't the problem. They're merely a symptom of the fact that we've a number of passive-agressive dumbfucks in our midst. Getting rid of smites will do all of jack shit to address the real issue at hand.

Imma marry this post and have its babies. The smites are like coughing, and getting rid of it is just like taking cough syrup. Except you still have bronchitis after you take the cough syrup, it's just not as obvious.

We're a public forum open to anyone who has a computer. Unless you guys can find a cure for human nature, I think we're going to have to go with the symptom-managing approach here.

I agree with Antéchrist. I see smites as a stick. Taking the stick away from the jerk who is using it will leave them having to be more direct and open with their passive-aggressiveness, or sit on it. If they choose to be open about it, it can be dealt with.

You can't stop people from being assholes, but you can take away their option to do so anonymously.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Distind

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »
The thing is, we got rid of it on ProBoards because it was abused.  It stayed that way and never came back until we moved here, where people got it in their heads that it would be a good idea to have it here.  That's something I don't get, on one board it was almost unceremoniously tossed out, and on another, it was clamored for by many of the folks who'd been around when the system had been killed off the first time.

We shouldn't have had it to begin with, because its just another arbitrary form of e-cock, and another source of potential bullshit.  We lived just fine without it once, I'm sure we can all do it again, its not that big of a deal.
Which is all largely why it's fucks given rather than anything else, to give it a less serious tone than smites or what have you.

That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 05:27:41 am »
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
Sigged. SO Sigged. I dislike sigging quotes, but this statement is so full of win I need to sig this.

Re Fuck system: I won't miss it. And I agree with Sleepy that a exalt-only wouldn't improve things much. I think it even would worsen the situation.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:09 pm »
Quite honestly, I feel that the exalt/smite system is another form of a popularity contest with the most well loved and known posters having a higher counter than those that are "less popular" and like others have said it seems to be a bit egotistical and narcissistic in general.

*Looks at her exalt number*
Holy Shit, I'm Popular....I feel so loved.
That being said, it really doesn't bother me what we decide to do, I just go with the flow.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 03:57:29 am »
I don't care if the system goes or stays. Although I think removing Fuck Nos might be an option. I have seen forums where users can "thank" posts. For instance, if users X, Y, and Z were to thank my post, then there would be a little box at the bottom that says, "This post was thanked by X, Y, and Z." That way it cuts down on space-wasting "This!" comments while also preventing people from passive-aggressively lashing back through the disguise of anonymity.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 09:13:47 am »
If some people have a problem with it and the other side really does not care about it all that much I say get ride of it.

Personally it really does not matter to me.  The more negatives I get the more it feels like I'm doing my job around here.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 12:38:06 am »
Keep the positive ones, if at all. There are times when somebody posts a really inspired comment, but there isn't really any follow up to be had. I don't really regret those. On the other hand, there have been times when somebody had written some nonsense that seemed to merit a smite, but then I would find the sense in the post and become ashamed of having smit them. I'd prefer not to have the temptation.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 03:19:37 am »
I'm gonna join the "Ditch the whole thing" side. The +/- system is just a giant dick swinging/slapping contest.

As someone else said, if people are abusing it to be passive-aggressive, taking it away will stop the drama caused by their behavior and force them to fuck off or come out and play with everyone.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »
I have seen forums where users can "thank" posts. For instance, if users X, Y, and Z were to thank my post, then there would be a little box at the bottom that says, "This post was thanked by X, Y, and Z." That way it cuts down on space-wasting "This!" comments while also preventing people from passive-aggressively lashing back through the disguise of anonymity.

Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:02:18 pm »
If some people have a problem with it and the other side really does not care about it all that much I say get ride of it.

Considering how close the vote is, I have to agree with this.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Undecided

• The boring one.
  • Bishop
  • Amateur Obfuscator
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:26 am »
Changed my vote to getting rid of the whole system. Exalts and smites give undue weight to users who are not willing to express their most basal opinions using language or their own identity. When somebody has incurred either approval or wrath, they have a right to know why.
You mad, you lose.

People do not like to think. If one thinks, one must reach conclusions. Conclusions are not always pleasant.
Helen Keller
Le doute n'est pas une condition agréable, mais la certitude est absurde.
Voltaire

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 01:47:57 pm »
With the current poll, shall we do away with the system?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »
I don't know, the gap between keep it positive and trash the whole thing is pretty small. I like the idea of "thanking" posts for reasons mentioned above.